Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: The Official Fender Mark Knopfler Stratocaster Owners' Club Thread  (Read 55314 times)

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
I know we have a few MK strat owners here so lets have a dedicated thread.

I ordered mine as soon as they were announced and got it in September 2003 if memory serves. I don't have it to hand to check at the moment but the serial is number  SE00154.

The first time I opened the case I remember being surprised at how dark the red was, almost maroon. It emerged later that a small number of MK strats, apparently 20, had been sent from the factory in the wrong colour, Dakota Red instead of Hot Rod Red. I really don't mind, whatever colour it is it looks great. It can look different in different pictures, in the pics below it doesn't look much different to the Hot Rod Red, but when I see MK's strats in concert I can tell the difference right away.

It is very light and a fantastic guitar. MK signed the headstock for me at the Hay on Wye festival in May 2007.

Some pics. :)

Let's see your MK strats!

"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineFletch

• Romeo
Re: The Official Fender Mark Knopfler Stratocaster Owners' Club Thread
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 01:00:47 PM »
Looks beautiful. If yours is one of twenty it only makes it more special.
Don't have a sig myself, just an American standard candy cola, and a highway sunburst for good measure! Can't beat a well set-up strat!
 :)
Hey, i`ve got a truffle dog - finally a song the ordinary man can relate too!

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 01:25:52 PM »
Looks beautiful. If yours is one of twenty it only makes it more special.
Don't have a sig myself, just an American standard candy cola, and a highway sunburst for good measure! Can't beat a well set-up strat!
 :)

Fletch, I meant to say, Dan very kindly transferred some of my old Mini Discs for me, including my recording of the Brothers in Arms "Classic Albums" show. I hope to get it on the tracker soon. :)

OfflineFletch

• Romeo
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 10:12:57 PM »
Cool! I can't wait to hear mark telling me just how " terrible " BIA is again. :)

OfflineNOOCHO

• Guitar George
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 11:50:26 PM »
This is amazing!!!!! I bought a MARK knopfler STRAT in 2008 brand new. What attracted me at first was the coulour but playing this strat it holds up to my CUSTOM SHOP WITH EASE . Its nice to see other people appreciating the beauty and quality of this GUITAR . IVE heard they are being cancelled. Is this a fact or rumour?Unfortunetly I CHIPPED MINE and then stupidily had someone try to repair the fairly big chip AND THEY didnt match the coulour properly in one area, So IM READY TO BUY another one!! Maybe one of you out there knows where I CAN GET  great deal online somewhere? Now going back to that dakota red knopfler strat mine also looks that way in dimmer light settings, however in direct sunlight or any bright environment its definetly the same coulour as the fender add .  Have u put two of them side by side just to really see? OK THANKKS!!!    LATER

OfflineHoops McCann

• Dan
  • Founder
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 03:27:00 AM »
Is yours numbered, Dusty? I've been thinking about purchasing a guitar and trying to learn, but I don't know if it's better to start off with an acoustic or electric. Probably shouldn't be posting in this thread, but nevertheless...
"...I was prompted to check out some of the threads you have going which are often unintentionally funny, wildly speculative and sometimes just plain deluded..." - Ed Bicknell

https://soundcloud.com/sunday_driver

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2010, 10:40:08 AM »
This is amazing!!!!! I bought a MARK knopfler STRAT in 2008 brand new. What attracted me at first was the coulour but playing this strat it holds up to my CUSTOM SHOP WITH EASE . Its nice to see other people appreciating the beauty and quality of this GUITAR . IVE heard they are being cancelled. Is this a fact or rumour?Unfortunetly I CHIPPED MINE and then stupidily had someone try to repair the fairly big chip AND THEY didnt match the coulour properly in one area, So IM READY TO BUY another one!! Maybe one of you out there knows where I CAN GET  great deal online somewhere? Now going back to that dakota red knopfler strat mine also looks that way in dimmer light settings, however in direct sunlight or any bright environment its definetly the same coulour as the fender add .  Have u put two of them side by side just to really see? OK THANKKS!!!    LATER

Welcome to the best Mark Knopfler forum in the world NOOCHO!

No, I haven't had the chance to compare mine with another side by side, I agree that would be interesting.

As for buying another, what country are you in?

Dan, the MK strats are indeed numbered, I think mine is no 153 or something like that. Everybody does it different ways, but I would recommend starting on an acoustic, you can get a good one for relatively cheap price in the States, maybe something like this:

http://www.wildwoodguitars.com/acoustics/taylor/baby/307_0150/307_0150.php

OfflineFletch

• Romeo
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2010, 10:16:14 AM »
Next week I intend to pimp my highway one with some Texas special pickups, really looking forward to a finished job, but I hope my soldering is up toss scratch, it's been a while!

That Dakota Red sure looks fine!!!!!

OfflineIngo

• Camerado
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2010, 05:24:38 PM »
I doubt that there were only 2o with the dark red, to me it seemed the complete first run was this way. I remember when the first guitars reached the shops in 2003, I was surprised that they all were so dark, and these were three in my city alone.

If yours is #153, the question is whether all so far were the dark red (so at least 153). Does anyone know of a low-number MK Strat in the right colour? And which is the highest number in this colour??

By the way, I heard that one day in 2003 Mark saw one of these in a shop in London and was upset...
my Mark Knopfler guitar style website:
http://www.mk-guitar.com/

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2010, 09:56:55 AM »
Ingo, I think you are probably right about there being more than 20, Fender probably put that low number out there to calm MK down.

The one thing we don't know however is if the serial numbers were assigned in the order they were built. Mine could have been the first one built, then the 153rd to get it's neck plate, we don't know.

OfflineFletch

• Romeo
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2010, 01:26:53 AM »

By the way, I heard that one day in 2003 Mark saw one of these in a shop in London and was upset...

How do you hear things like that? Lol

Offlineknopflerized

• Romeo
  • I might Get Lucky ...
    • Mark In Summer Long Ago
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2010, 09:16:30 PM »
Awww Nice Topic !

I also have got one ! I started playing the Guitar in 2004 but I first bought a red Squier in order to have quite the same as MK. ( What a strange idea...)

The same shop had the MK signature for sale. A few months later I decided to sell my motorbike (which was red too lol) and I bought the MK Strat !
My parents loved the deal (no motorbike anymore no worries anymore) Well, I also feel safer now... even if I sometime miss ridding. Anyway I have quite the most beautiful thing ever in my living room ! I loved playing it... I have to admit that I don't play  anymore for months... but I'm on my way to restart...
I got it signed by MK in Le Mans 2006 !

OnlineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2011, 06:43:01 PM »
Well I can actually join this 'select' thread as I have just this moment purchased an MK strat!
I have played for what is now 20 Years with a couple of squier stratocasters, and I have today upgraded bigstyle!!

I will enclose some photo's and numbers when it arrives which will hopefully be Monday....
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 06:45:10 PM by knopflerfan »
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2011, 09:47:34 AM »
Congrats! They are great guitars.

I have a few nice guitars but if I am playing an important gig I turn to the MK strat. Not just because it always sounds good, regardless of the situation, but also because it is very, very dependable. It will always do exactly what you expect it to do, not the case with some other guitars. :)

OnlineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2011, 04:45:43 PM »
The 'MK' Strat has arrived and I am chuffed to bits with it!! It came complete with case, all labels, tremelo and lead... The serial number for the strat is 'SE03805'

I am going to take it to my local guitar shop 'Guitar Mania' so they can service it before I get too carried away with it!!!
I will upload some photo's of the Strat onto my Mark Knopfler Images website over the weekend.

A few questions for anyone:
*How do I find out what year this particular guitar was made? (as the serial number is basically the number run.)
*How many were made?

Cheers for now...
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 04:51:53 PM by knopflerfan »
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.049 seconds with 38 queries.