Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Alan Clark - new interview  (Read 12761 times)

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
Re: Alan Clark - new interview
« Reply #60 on: February 17, 2024, 11:06:19 AM »
Well, if you compare Terminal Of Tribute To with 3 Chord Trick and say they're just different ways of mocking each other, at least you should be able to call both of them out on it with equal wording, rather than going the whole fanboy route where the "hero" gets a free pass just because "oh, he's a genius" or whatever.

I don't know how much truth there is in the MK vs the cover bands thing, but if MK actually has a problem with them and their members, it's childish and immature. I hope he knows better than that. If he can play DS songs live post-DS, surely the other members of DS can do the same.

Although I like OES, it doesn't feel much like a DS album - it sounds more like a continuation of Notting Hillbillies. What AC says sounds reasonable to my years. But - let's be real: MK knew it was the end, and didn't care if it made sense to go in that direction as there never was supposed to be a follow up.

Your last paragraph sums it up fine, to me OES is more like Mark's first solo album anyway. As if all the previous albums weren't his solo albums. Hehe.

The funny thing is Mark never expressed anything towards his ex-band members besides the Terminal Of Tribute To song, not a single word. Guy also added on his forum that Mark said everything he wanted to say about the matter in the song. So I'm not sure who's childish where in this situation. Only when really "cornered" in one of the "tough" interviews, did Mark admit that David was just not a good guitar player.

I see this whole situation of ex-band members trying so hard to return to Dire Straits or saying it went a wrong way is like going to your ex-girlfriend or ex-wife and trying to resurrect the marriage. The magic is gone, arguments are all over the place, but you still do it, when there are 4 billion other women in the world.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #61 on: February 17, 2024, 11:33:08 AM »
Tribute bands are made by fans for fans, not by band members for... Whom? It's such an obvious way to abandon your dreams and make an easy living standing on someone else's shoulders, that no wonder he gets a lot of criticism.

Spoken by a true non-musician.
These bands are a way for full time musicians to earn a living.
The two bands in question were STARTED by former DS members, they weren't dragged in.
Both bands are playing to large appreciative crowds. As Mark is no longer playing the music of Dire Straits live, it's the only way for fans to hear the songs being played in concert, and in a similar context to Straits themselves - rock concert venue, loud PA, great lights etc.
I'm not particularly a fan, which is why I did it for a couple of years only.
There are thousands of fan style tribute bands, most of whom are not doing the songs justice from what I've seen.
At least you've got something like DSE trying to match the real experience of Dire Straits live.

Answering both of your posts, this is exactly why Mark said so many times in interviews that he's not sure he could "make it" as a professional musician, and not a singer-songwriter. It's so tough. Boy, it's tough. If you depend on your instrument, you have so many chances of needing to work until you fall over or needing to play in tribute bands, playing at weddings and parties all the time, or playing 365 shows a year just to make a decent living. Being a musician sucks sometimes and the music business sucks all the time, period.

I know I'll be accused of being a fanboy once again, but surely the main problem with Dire Straits tribute bands is the difficulty level of "replacing" MK. Not only do you need to be a good vocalist with a unique voice that doesn't sound like somebody's doing an expression of MK, but you also need to be proficient in improvising and getting all these unique lines right and playing and singing at the same time, while overseeing the team and making adjustments. It's like doing a tribute to Louis Armstrong — even his son couldn't do it justice if he had one.

I know there are some damn good DS tributes, and I know guys from these bands, they are awesome, and it's great to hear these songs live. I have nothing, absolutely nothing against tributes. The problem, if you noticed, is I never said anything about side musicians at all. Side musicians are merely side musicians when it comes to MK magic. Louis Armstrong would still be Louis with any decent jazz band, I'm afraid to say. And so when a side musician goes out and creates a DS tribute band, or says Mark wasn't a big part of DS anyway... Sorry, but I laugh.

OfflineChris W

• Dire Straits drummer
  • Camerado
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #62 on: February 17, 2024, 12:42:23 PM »
but surely the main problem with Dire Straits tribute bands is the difficulty level of "replacing" MK. Not only do you need to be a good vocalist with a unique voice that doesn't sound like somebody's doing an expression of MK, but you also need to be proficient in improvising and getting all these unique lines right and playing and singing at the same time, while overseeing the team and making adjustments.

No, you are completely correct. The only one that comes close, by being himself and organically sounding more like Mark, is Terence Reiss.
The guitar playing is extremely tough, but as Reiss is playing what Mark played, and not trying to improvise something new every show, I also think he gets very close.

OfflineChris W

• Dire Straits drummer
  • Camerado
« Reply #63 on: February 17, 2024, 12:45:47 PM »
The problem, if you noticed, is I never said anything about side musicians at all. Side musicians are merely side musicians when it comes to MK magic. Louis Armstrong would still be Louis with any decent jazz band, I'm afraid to say. And so when a side musician goes out and creates a DS tribute band, or says Mark wasn't a big part of DS anyway... Sorry, but I laugh.

The 'side musicians' were very important - as you can clearly hear from the various incarnations of Dire Straits live.
I don't think Mark Knopfler on tour in 2019, playing the music of Dire Straits, sounded much like DS in 1985 or 1992.
There are one or two people who have ripped into Mark, then tried to make a career out of playing his music - which I agree is not a good look.

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #64 on: February 17, 2024, 01:05:12 PM »
"There are one or two people who have ripped into Mark, then tried to make a career out of playing his music - which I agree is not a good look"

Chris this is a very interesting thread. Maybe something more  ;)
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

OfflineChris W

• Dire Straits drummer
  • Camerado
« Reply #65 on: February 17, 2024, 01:41:36 PM »
No insider info, just reading the same interviews and books everyone else has read.

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #66 on: February 17, 2024, 01:43:50 PM »
I understand and expected such an answer:)
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #67 on: February 17, 2024, 01:59:20 PM »
"There are one or two people who have ripped into Mark, then tried to make a career out of playing his music - which I agree is not a good look"

Chris this is a very interesting thread. Maybe something more  ;)

No insider info, just reading the same interviews and books everyone else has read.

Thank you for this conversation, a lot of good stuff here. Interesting point about Terence Reiss. Mark's lines are so classical and unique, that I don't think it makes sense to try to come up with your lines, it's tribute after all. A lot of Mark's improvisations were pre-composed anyway, though he truly never played lines the same twice. Pre-composed was only a skeleton, not the whole solo. He is such a natural musician.

His solo versions of Dire Straits music, with such a good band filled with multi-instrumentalists and veteran session players, are destined to sound different. Ironically, while the band is the best band he ever had, Mark himself steadily struggled more and more to deliver what he once could, and now stopped altogether. Proving, once again, how much is revolving around this guy, whether people are happy about it or not.

OfflineChris W

• Dire Straits drummer
  • Camerado
« Reply #68 on: February 17, 2024, 03:08:45 PM »
I understand and expected such an answer:)

The only person I keep up with from OES era is Chris White.
There really is little gossip going on behind the scenes.

OfflineChris W

• Dire Straits drummer
  • Camerado
« Reply #69 on: February 17, 2024, 03:09:38 PM »

Thank you for this conversation.....

All good points.

OfflineMatchstickman

• Camerado
« Reply #70 on: February 17, 2024, 03:56:16 PM »

I don't know how much truth there is in the MK vs the cover bands thing, but if MK actually has a problem with them and their members, it's childish and immature. I hope he knows better than that. If he can play DS songs live post-DS, surely the other members of DS can do the same.

The way I understand it, Mark has a problem with tribute bands using the brand name (or almost) of Dire Straits -  "The Straits", "Dire Straits Legacy", etc. He would never, I think, object to John's, or anyone's, performing DS songs live per se. Of course he has a point in as much as such tribute bands are, by definition, cashing in on a big name and brand. Whether one sees this as a problem or not is subjective.

To me, Terminal of Tribute To has always seemed overly vitriolic. I can see where Mark is coming from - they are his songs and those are his former bandmates - but from a multi-millionaire, and one who will never resurrect DS, it just seems uncalled for. No one would consider such bands a threat to Mark, or expect him to voice an opinion of them, if he hadn't written, recorded, and released a long song about them.

OfflineChris W

• Dire Straits drummer
  • Camerado
« Reply #71 on: February 17, 2024, 04:11:26 PM »
Mark is paid every time one of these bands plays any of his songs.
Anyway, I can see his point about the name. It isn't illegal or anything though.

Offlinecannibals

• Romeo
« Reply #72 on: February 17, 2024, 04:27:49 PM »
Did Alan and MK not do a version of Local Hero after DS disbended. Somewhere in the UK. Someting small it was but i can't remember????

As far as I recall, last time MK and Alan did something together was in 2005, playing Wild Them at the Alan Shearer's pub near Newcastle United's stadium.
That's it!!  Is there a video of this? And why with Alan and not Guy??

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #73 on: February 17, 2024, 05:47:57 PM »
Mark is paid every time one of these bands plays any of his songs.
Anyway, I can see his point about the name. It isn't illegal or anything though.

It always felt more than just a controversial naming thing. Yes, making people think they are going to see real Dire Straits by naming your band... Dire Straits... That's kinda lame, though something a lot of tribute acts suffer from. After all, you need some kind of connection so people understand what your band goal is. No doubt "The Fab Four" is a tribute to The Beatles (and a really good one, I might add). They went a little bit too far with their naming. I've got countless people from Russian fan clubs mistaking their shows for Dire Straits, and I can't blame them. Regular folks don't know better, they see "Dire Straits" and they buy tickets. Who cares if it's "Dire Straits Experience" or "Dire Straits Legacy"?

It always felt like Alan's got a chip on his shoulder. He'd move his keyboard rig closer to the audience so people see him better. He's part of the band, you see. In your face, boom, like that.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #74 on: February 17, 2024, 08:22:08 PM »
There’s an act called Clearwater Creedence Revival that skates a bit close name wise in my opinion!
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.03 seconds with 35 queries.