Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: No news is good news?  (Read 150286 times)

OfflineTally

• Camerado
Re: No news is good news?
« Reply #465 on: May 18, 2011, 09:57:52 PM »
Let's just say, Danny would not be my pick for personnel change.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #466 on: May 19, 2011, 09:14:03 AM »
Yes, I think it's an unfortunate title and I, too, changed my mind when I read the website!   :)

It's one of these silly names that they've made to create a word out of the acronym -

G R E A T
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #467 on: May 19, 2011, 09:22:01 AM »
Yes, I think it's an unfortunate title and I, too, changed my mind when I read the website!   :)

It's one of these silly names that they've made to create a word out of the acronym -

G R E A T

::)     
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #468 on: May 19, 2011, 05:30:04 PM »
Phill Collins wouldn't be on the album even if he wanted to be, he has retired from music, plus because of his back problems, he can't really drum anymore, even by his own admission. If Mark wanted a new drummer he could get any drummer in the world, what about the great Simon Phillips if he's free?
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #469 on: May 19, 2011, 06:09:59 PM »
Simon Phillips, yeah, Simon Phillips!!!!!

That would be a dream, but I think he
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Jackal

« Reply #470 on: May 19, 2011, 06:17:05 PM »
I know the late Jeff Porcaro was an amazing drummer, and you really hear it on On Every Street. BUT - it's almost like he was too good, if you know what I mean. Everything is played with razorblade precision. And there are several others of his ilk, Vinnie Colaiuta, Steve Gadd, Terry Bozzio, but I'm not sure they match to Mark's stuff.

I've said it before, but I think in the context of Mark and Dire Straits nobody beat Pick. He proably wasn't the right pick (dang) for the stadium era (I guess why he picked up his stuff and left (dang!)), but on the more intimate things - man, he was good. Wish Mark would pick up (dang!!) his phone and give him a ring.

I mean, you just gotta love this:

OfflineRolleyway Man

• Camerado
    • Mike’s Musical Musings
« Reply #471 on: May 19, 2011, 07:05:40 PM »
I'd like to hear Vinnie Colaiuta playing drums with MK actually.  I'd be very interested to hear what sort of dynamic he'd bring to his music.  Vinnie's just the drum kit god as far as I'm concerned.

Still going to miss Danny if he's going, though I'm certain whoever replaces him will be world-class.  MK only chooses the best as we know.

Love Expresso

« Reply #472 on: May 19, 2011, 07:50:39 PM »
Yes, he does. He likes to be surrounded by "master musicians" as we all know, musicians who can play Oscar Peterson and eat an apple with the other hand...

Sometimes I wish he would really utilize these world class people more than he actually does... I mean Danny's drumming ON THE ALBUM could be done by any other session drummer, don't you think? The same with Matt: He can only be heard playing stuff in the background, important stuff, yes, and I know that sometimes less is more, but sometimes I also wish MK would let his band show-off more...  ::)

LE
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 08:11:39 PM by Love Expresso »

Jackal

« Reply #473 on: May 19, 2011, 08:00:05 PM »
Completely agree, LE. Imagine capturing the energy of for instance the live version of Marbletown in studio.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #474 on: May 19, 2011, 08:11:42 PM »
Completely agree, LE. Imagine capturing the energy of for instance the live version of Marbletown in studio.

Except nothing can ever be better than the live version, not even the Simfy recording, when it is played directly in front of you!  Magic!   :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Jackal

« Reply #475 on: May 19, 2011, 08:22:14 PM »
I second that, Val, but some - some - of that energy must be possible to transfer to disk. They have the means and musical abilities to do it. It's only a matter of production.

Love Expresso

« Reply #476 on: May 19, 2011, 08:22:35 PM »
Yes, Jackal, in fact it was Marbletown that made me think of what this band is capable. Just imagine songs with more room for the band to jam on a studio album. In The Sky was going in the right direction. That also was something typical for Dire Straits: The piano on the song On Every Street, the complete greatness of Planet of New Orleans with Chris, You and Your Friend, letting Paul Franklin show what he can... Also Early Bird was funny and lively and had a cool ending, hope you now know what I mean...

You could come to the conclusion, well, if Mark doesn't want to show off anymore, why not let the band do? I remember almost every radio interviewer talking about the great drumming on "You Don't Know You're Born", Chad was praised for achieving that "Al Green drum sound" with its irresistible drive...

That is what gives me not any great expectation for a new album anymore. I am happy to get one of course, love the music, the voice, the guitar and the lyrics still, but for me an album is just an "alibi" for another great live tour!

LE

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #477 on: May 19, 2011, 08:43:06 PM »
After I have heard a particular song played in concert, I hardly ever listen to it on the album again.   In the past I have always been grateful for audience recordings, but now, thanks to Simfy, we have something that almost recaptures being there, but not quite!   :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Jackal

« Reply #478 on: May 19, 2011, 08:54:07 PM »
As a non-drinker I shouldn't say this, but what Mark and les boys should do is grab a case of beer, have a late night jam, and "see what happens"  :D

Love Expresso

« Reply #479 on: May 19, 2011, 08:59:22 PM »
Funnily enough I had the same thoughts as Val today when hearing Border Reiver and Piper To The End from the album again. Both sounded ... damped... or discreet. As if the energy was set aside for the live gigs. It is still nice to listen to Piper from the album of course, but there are several adorable great live versions that I love more in the meantime.

How I wish I could say the same about Before Gas & TV....  ::)

LE

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.049 seconds with 53 queries.