Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: (02) Back on the Dance Floor  (Read 72903 times)

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
Re: (02) Back on the Dance Floor ##* Spoiler Lyrics *##
« Reply #255 on: November 05, 2018, 01:03:59 PM »
I love Dancefloor more and more each day - can't stop listening!    I also love all of the songs that Nick 14 mentions and I'm sure the new album will be a mix of songs that satisfies every taste.    :)

:thumbsup Back On The Dance Floor is great. Imelda May in backing vocals a very good idea
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

OfflineRail King

• Lady writer
« Reply #256 on: November 05, 2018, 01:39:03 PM »
So what's it about? What's the setting? Poker? Striptease? Lots of clothes and shoes are mentioned. What people dress up like this, with a skull cane and these kinds of hats? Las Vegas?

LE

On the dance floor? :lol

I believe the "dance floor" in question is metaphorical, like "back in the game". Hence the reference to a "comeback".

I really dig this song.  Kind of lukewarm on GOYS, which I think is weak lyrically and not well sung.  If the rest of the album is in the same vein as these two I will be pleased. Not that I don't like the folk-roots stuff, but I'm ready for something different.

Yes but please don't leave my question too early only because of Quizzaciously's funny comment. Comeback idea is obvious, and I get that the dance floor has the same meaning as the first lines of Everybody pays (I got shot off my horse so what? I'm up again and playing in one of these big saloons on main).  But he describes a certain type of character, especially about clothIng style. Who has a comeback here?

LE

What puzzles me is the Stetson and the 41 (a revolver). Somebody's obviously dressing up as cowboys here (or as Dylan-style pimps, given the wingtip shoes and skull-head cane). But who would do that, and why? It this some sort of cabaret? This would indeed hint back at Les Boys, and replacing the SS caps with Stetsons could even count as a clever political commentary, haha.  :o

OfflineRail King

• Lady writer
« Reply #257 on: November 05, 2018, 01:42:40 PM »
Someone said, I think, that it sounded like something on a Guy solo record - and I am not a fan of his music at all. I don't find it innovative - and the fact that it is Mark trying something new matters not a jot to me - for me it is about whether I like the song or not - and I don't like this song.

That is probably why Guy is raving about this song. It's right up his alley. Just like yourself I'm hoping that the other tracks differ in style.

Pipes and fiddles, please come back. All is forgiven!  ;D

I agree with regard the folkies and am sure we will inevitably get some Pipes and Whistles but hopefully not too much... I personally really like BOTDF along with GOYS....

Don't worry, with One Song at a Time you'll get one of his very best pipes & whistles songs! And there's a number of other songs on the album that are dramatically different (simpler) in style.

OfflineNick14

• Camerado
« Reply #258 on: November 05, 2018, 01:55:49 PM »
Thanks! Actually - from the two previews of the album we were lucky to have, I already thought that these two songs wouldn't be my cup of tea - just as others thought/hoped they would be - and there are plenty of others that sound like they will be rightup my street.....can't wait to find out..

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #259 on: November 05, 2018, 03:02:20 PM »
JF, is Imelda featured on other tracks as prominently as on this track?

I don't think so. Rail King, do you remember ?

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #260 on: November 05, 2018, 03:21:15 PM »
about artists recycling their own songs/melodies/chords structures etc....

Of course it was very often made by bluesmen, and early rocknroll musicians like Chuck Berry.

But it seems it was a common practice before that time, during the 19th century

the french author-composer-singer Georges Brassens dit it with "la prière" and "il n'y a pas d'amour heureux"

and aslo with "Le nombril des femmes d'agents", "Carcassonne " and "La chaude pisse"

he explained in an interview that in the nineteenth century,there were circulated basic melodies (a bit like the blues in jazz) on which the singers could stick the words they had composed. These all-purpose melodies were called "tones".
The tones were used until the 50s in France, especially by the "chansonniers of the Grenier de Montmartre" (on the Paris Inter Radio) who wrote or even improvised topical couplets on standard tunes, and then audience took up the refrains.
But seeing that what he had sought to resurrect was misunderstood, ("Who is this slacker who serves us two songs on the same tune?") Brassens did not repeat the experiment.

http://www.analysebrassens.com/?page=texte&id=34&%23

OfflineRail King

• Lady writer
« Reply #261 on: November 05, 2018, 03:25:33 PM »
JF, is Imelda featured on other tracks as prominently as on this track?

I don't think so. Rail King, do you remember ?

Actually, I don't think she was featured very prominently anywhere, not even on this track.  ;) "Prominently", in my understanding, would mean a similar role to that of Emmylou Harris or Ruth Moody on "Wherever I Go". On Down the Road Wherever, though, there are no female lead vocals, just quite a lot of backing vocals. And - shame on me - I didn't even care to look up who sang on what so far. Don't get me wrong, I like the backing vocals on the album, but telling one voice from the other in the mix is not something I spent a lot of time on so far. I was too busy analyzing the overall song structures and lyrics etc.

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #262 on: November 05, 2018, 10:08:12 PM »
I counted songs, lyrics with which I have a problem. Much.

Back On The Dance Floor
Nobody's Child
Good On You Son
My Bacon Roll
Nobody Does That
Heavy Up
Floating Away
Every Heart In The Room
Don’t Suck Me In
Sky And Water

:think
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 10:35:22 PM by Robson »
Clear as the day

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #263 on: November 05, 2018, 10:18:46 PM »
Which problem exactly and why?

Don't get what you mean.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #264 on: November 05, 2018, 10:29:59 PM »
I think about difficult texts
Clear as the day

Offline2manyguitars

• Lady writer
  • What is life without music......
    • Here some occasionally resonable music..
« Reply #265 on: November 05, 2018, 10:36:05 PM »
about artists recycling their own songs/melodies/chords structures etc....

Of course it was very often made by bluesmen, and early rocknroll musicians like Chuck Berry.

But it seems it was a common practice before that time, during the 19th century

the french author-composer-singer Georges Brassens dit it with "la prière" and "il n'y a pas d'amour heureux"

and aslo with "Le nombril des femmes d'agents", "Carcassonne " and "La chaude pisse"

he explained in an interview that in the nineteenth century,there were circulated basic melodies (a bit like the blues in jazz) on which the singers could stick the words they had composed. These all-purpose melodies were called "tones".
The tones were used until the 50s in France, especially by the "chansonniers of the Grenier de Montmartre" (on the Paris Inter Radio) who wrote or even improvised topical couplets on standard tunes, and then audience took up the refrains.
But seeing that what he had sought to resurrect was misunderstood, ("Who is this slacker who serves us two songs on the same tune?") Brassens did not repeat the experiment.

http://www.analysebrassens.com/?page=texte&id=34&%23

And lets not forget classical musics 'liberal' 'borrowing' of traditional folk tunes....

Ultimately with western scales and 12 keys (hanging off of my chain...) repetition is inevitable, it doesn't bother me in MKs case because he as a wide breadth of material and over 40+ years he has rarely recycled anything. What bothers me is the laziness of a lot of modern pop music where the same sequences are used over and over, mainly variations on Pachelbel's canon....

Drives me up the wall....lol 

OfflineMarijo58

• Lady writer
« Reply #266 on: November 05, 2018, 10:44:58 PM »
I really enjoyed this song.. Great feeling...

Envoyé de mon Moto C Plus en utilisant Tapatalk

But it's written in the starlight and every line on your palm, we're fools to make war on our brothers in arms.

Love Expresso

« Reply #267 on: November 05, 2018, 11:15:56 PM »
Am I the only one who wonders about the strange sound of the SHAKE  ....sh-sounds? Sounds not right to me. 

LE

OfflineRail King

• Lady writer
« Reply #268 on: November 06, 2018, 03:51:02 PM »
Am I the only one who wonders about the strange sound of the SHAKE  ....sh-sounds? Sounds not right to me. 

LE

You might indeed be the only one here, just as I am the only one having a problem with «shake it up ... to the rhythm» in GOYS.  :lol First-world problems, right?

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
« Reply #269 on: November 06, 2018, 07:46:57 PM »
just listened to the song and thanks to a plugin with a +2% tempo and then +3%,
sounds like it was released 2-3 albums ago
A Pensaboy who later became a Pensaghost http://pensaboy.altervista.org/guitar.html

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.039 seconds with 36 queries.