Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Chris Whitten interview  (Read 28040 times)

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
Re: Chris Whitten interview
« Reply #150 on: February 21, 2022, 04:37:15 PM »
The GOAT quarrel has become the highlight of the week to me. Reminded me of this tennis thread when a guy said Federer was the goat and a Nadal fan replied with the following question: bulls are stronger than goats, are you admitting Nadal is stronger than Federer?

For the record Rafa’s nickname is miura, which happens to be a bull breed… I laughed for hours.
I am the Iron Fist. Protector of K'un-Lun. Sworn enemy of the Hand.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #151 on: February 21, 2022, 04:40:08 PM »
sam, i meant "Greatest of all times" it is a standard (American english mostly i presume) saying to describe the best

Maybe it's the standard saying for kids who use the phone H24, not surely for 100% of the people or most of the people
possible. still, before i would say such definitive things as Sam did, i would maybe try and double check.
he has known me for ages, so i think i can claim the benefit of doubt.
i am still flabbergasted by the reaction. totally unnecesarry.

I'm the only one or nobody on Earth even uses "goat" as an insult in English? We use it in Russia (meaning the animal, which this word represents, like "kozel" in Russian), but I never heard anybody insulting anyone with "goat" in English, that's not even a thing. So it must be something else, then it also written in capital letters, also a clue... Also, "the" goat. So yeah, Sam, I think you may find this situation hilarious and don't take it too seriously. A bit of research never harms.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #152 on: February 21, 2022, 04:44:16 PM »
The GOAT quarrel has become the highlight of the week to me. Reminded me of this tennis thread when a guy said Federer was the goat and a Nadal fan replied with the following question: bulls are stronger than goats, are you admitting Nadal is stronger than Federer?

For the record Rafa’s nickname is miura, which happens to be a bull breed… I laughed for hours.

Man, this really reminds me of this saying in English, when instead of saying "yes" you say "Is the pope Catholic?", it's like a rhetorical question. And people who don't get it answer "I don't know". And this phrase is quite popular, also they use "does a bear shit in the woods?" and even combined with the first phrase, "does the Pope shit in the woods?". Gotta love English. Imagine how some people can interpret that!

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #153 on: February 21, 2022, 05:38:41 PM »

LOL
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #154 on: February 21, 2022, 05:39:37 PM »

Man, this really reminds me of this saying in English, when instead of saying "yes" you say "Is the pope Catholic?", it's like a rhetorical question. And people who don't get it answer "I don't know". And this phrase is quite popular, also they use "does a bear shit in the woods?" and even combined with the first phrase, "does the Pope shit in the woods?". Gotta love English. Imagine how some people can interpret that!
exactly. love that phrase too
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #155 on: February 21, 2022, 07:01:21 PM »

I'm Spanish and I never ever heard Nadal to be called Miura, lol

Never.

Ever.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflinePierre

• Camerado
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #156 on: February 21, 2022, 07:09:35 PM »
This has been a rough week around the forum!

hunter

« Reply #157 on: February 21, 2022, 08:39:59 PM »
sam, i meant "Greatest of all times" it is a standard (American english mostly i presume) saying to describe the best

Maybe it's the standard saying for kids who use the phone H24, not surely for 100% of the people or most of the people

The term GOAT has been around for at least 30 years and is used regularly by millions of tennis fans when talking about, in particular, Roger Federe, Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic.

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #158 on: February 22, 2022, 06:38:15 AM »
I never heard the term Goat, but I'm not in any other forums in internet, further than Spanish City, and we talk Spanish there.

hunter

« Last Edit: February 22, 2022, 10:33:58 AM by hunter »

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #160 on: February 22, 2022, 09:21:48 AM »
Why can't people just say "greatest of all time" does it really take that long to say? also, it is clear for people who don't know about the Goat thing.
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #161 on: February 22, 2022, 09:54:26 AM »
Why can't people just say "greatest of all time" does it really take that long to say? also, it is clear for people who don't know about the Goat thing.

Just the same as any abbreviation I guess, although usually they don't cause such controversy!
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #162 on: February 22, 2022, 09:59:58 AM »

Just the same as any abbreviation I guess, although usually they don't cause such controversy!

Americans love acronyms and acronymify everything... NASA, NASCAR, NATO, job titles, CEO, CFO, CAO, airports, technology, LAN, FTP, SMS, associations, all sorts of things, no wonder acronyms would get their way into emails. ASAP may be the most famous acronym in the world which is probably universally known and a word on its own by this point. My personal favourites are LMAO and GG (Good Game). I think the world is changing and these acronyms are in the wild for decades now, so people who don't get it, it's their problem really. They are living under a rock or something? It's like I recently saw Jeff Goldblum's video and he doesn't know what 5MP means in photography.

The problem sometimes arises when people acronymify song titles on this forum and sometimes you really need to switch on your inner Sherlock Holmes to figure out what it means. But some are already classics like PONO (Planet of New Orleans), SOS (Sultans of Swing), ATRR (All The Roadrunning), STP, RPD and so on.

hunter

« Reply #163 on: February 22, 2022, 10:36:33 AM »
This thread is FUBAR. (military acronym from 1940s ...)

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #164 on: February 22, 2022, 10:42:55 AM »

Well, sometimes, people usually wask, why do you mean with SFFTC?

I tend to ignore those abbreviations as I'm not going to spend a second trying to get that meaning... abbreviations for album titles work very well, but for individual songs, considering the hugh number of DS and MK songs existing... It is difficult.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.056 seconds with 41 queries.