Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Drummer advice  (Read 20618 times)

Offlinemarky49

• Lady writer
Drummer advice
« on: August 24, 2009, 06:35:30 PM »
Hi guys,

Do we have a drummer in our forum who can recommend a drum kit for kids? How much are they? I need one for my almost 3 year old son who likes to play the rhythm on everything what he can reach. He seems to be quite serious about it as he is asking me all the time since weeks if he can have a drum kit. And I've shown him Danny's kit on a picture, now he is really into it!  ::)
Is cheap ok at this stage? Where should I buy it (we live in central London)? I've really no idea about drums at all, starting to google and surf now...puh, any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,
martina

Rollergirl

Re: Drummer advice
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 06:42:45 PM »
I don't know but I am interested in the answers. My son who is 5 is very interested in drums, even more since the drummer from Dr Feelgood gave him his sticks at the end of a gig!

He's got a plastic toy kit which he's had since he was one and it's time for an upgrade. Isn't 3 a little young I ask myself though?

Offlinemarky49

• Lady writer
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 06:56:46 PM »
I had the same concerns as he will be 3 years old in November, so I sent a question to Danny on myspace (no answer) and now to Guy.
GF: "If they can hold a pair of sticks and hit things with them then they're old enough. Most kids do this before they can walk!. There are plenty of kids drum kits around, I'd suggest a visit to your local music store. Yamaha are ALWAYS a good bet but there are so many great deals around. No need to fork out a fortune at this stage."

My son can hit things and starts to play a rhythm already. He is also quite tall for his age.

Forgot to say: I went to three stores already. And had three different opinions, don't know if they tried to rip me off...haven't bought any yet.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 07:03:21 PM by marky49 »

OfflineMossguitar

• Camerado
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 11:50:00 PM »
I'm not a drummer (i'm a guitarist), but one of my sons have a small kit. I think you should take Guy's advice: don't spend much money on the first kit. My son's kit is a good kit from a toy store (it's a real instrument though, not a toy like most kits you buy at toy stores.) As time goes by and it seems like the kid really enjoys it and probably is going to continue drumming, you can upgrade the kit, for instance buy a new and better kick drum pedal, then a high hat, a new snare and so on. Good luck!

Offlinemarky49

• Lady writer
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2009, 07:42:27 AM »
I'm not a drummer (i'm a guitarist), but one of my sons have a small kit. I think you should take Guy's advice: don't spend much money on the first kit. My son's kit is a good kit from a toy store (it's a real instrument though, not a toy like most kits you buy at toy stores.) As time goes by and it seems like the kid really enjoys it and probably is going to continue drumming, you can upgrade the kit, for instance buy a new and better kick drum pedal, then a high hat, a new snare and so on. Good luck!
Thank you for your reply.
Can you give me the name of that kit or the store where you bought it? Would like to check on the web.

Offlinemarky49

• Lady writer
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2009, 09:08:29 AM »

Rollergirl

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2009, 09:32:32 AM »
Great! Thanks!

Offlineingridswing

• Founder
  • Rüdiger
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2009, 09:35:15 AM »
That site looks interesting, but maybe a little overprized. I think a drumkit from a toystore will do. I gave my sisters little boy one when he was 3 as well, simple one in a toystore, little similar to this one: http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3592663 . He loved it very much, but now at the age of 10 he doesn't like at anymore. More interest in sports nowadays. So no need to pay more than necessary. Don't forget to buy a little seat as well. From the site you found the $99,95 things will do. Or wait another couple of months, most of the times (at least in Holland) in oktober most shops will come with good actions.

Offlinemarky49

• Lady writer
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2009, 09:44:54 AM »

Offlinemarky49

• Lady writer
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2009, 09:57:30 AM »
That site looks interesting, but maybe a little overprized. I think a drumkit from a toystore will do. I gave my sisters little boy one when he was 3 as well, simple one in a toystore, little similar to this one: http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3592663 . He loved it very much, but now at the age of 10 he doesn't like at anymore. More interest in sports nowadays. So no need to pay more than necessary. Don't forget to buy a little seat as well. From the site you found the $99,95 things will do. Or wait another couple of months, most of the times (at least in Holland) in oktober most shops will come with good actions.

Thanks, Ingrid!
We have some time until his b'day, but we start with no knowledge at all. Guitars are no problem for me, but drums? ???
What I found out so far is, we want a 5-piece drum set. If he wants drum lessons, a drum instructor will prefer a 5 piece set over a 3 piece set. And we don't want plastic, but I don't want to spend
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 10:08:53 AM by marky49 »

Rollergirl

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2009, 10:39:46 AM »
I'd tend to agree with Ingrid, a toy kit is enough at his age. My son has one which is even more plastic than that. I have changed the  "skins" using an old painting (ie canvass). Sure it's far from sounding like a real kit but it

Offlinemarky49

• Lady writer
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2009, 11:14:35 AM »
I'd tend to agree with Ingrid, a toy kit is enough at his age. My son has one which is even more plastic than that. I have changed the  "skins" using an old painting (ie canvass). Sure it's far from sounding like a real kit but it
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 11:31:32 AM by marky49 »

OfflineMossguitar

• Camerado
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2009, 12:57:36 PM »
If the ToysRus set is made of wood and ajustable in heighth and tiltable, it could be a great set to start with. It looks like the skins are tunable and changeable, and that's good. If you want to turn it into a five piece set, you can add a high-hat stand and a new snare drum on a floor stand. The original kick-drum-mounted snare can easily be changed into a tom. When the time comes for real lessons, you can add a floor tom, and the drum kit is complete. But it's all a matter of money, of course.

Offlinemarky49

• Lady writer
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2009, 01:43:18 PM »
Thanks for all your answers, confused me really!  :-\
So, I've asked Guy back again (thank you) and he said he would go for a real kit if it's not a fad of our son. I don't think it is, because he is asking me since weeks if he can have a drums kit. For a 3yo it sounds very serious. And, his wooden drum http://www.elc.co.uk/toy/wooden-drum-1/ is his most loved toy in the house.

OfflineFletch

• Romeo
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2009, 01:44:54 PM »
Without being overly disrespectful of previous suggestions, i would purchase a Roland TD4 electronic set (if you can afford it) - this stuff is cutting edge technology, sounds great at low volumes and reacts with real kit sensitivity!
The band i play with, rehearse with a TD20, which is top of the line - very expensive - but allows us to rehearse without turning all our amps up to ear splitting gig levels! And our drummer LOVES it! He spends all night adjusting the sounds with a big smile on his face (cos the TD20 doesn`t belong to him)!!!

Believe me, even if you don`t have a talented young prodigy on your hands, your ears will THANK YOU!!!!
Hey, i`ve got a truffle dog - finally a song the ordinary man can relate too!

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.043 seconds with 44 queries.