Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: (6) Tunnel 13  (Read 5661 times)

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
Re: (6) Tunnel 13
« Reply #60 on: April 14, 2024, 10:17:49 PM »
I really can't believe that he include the lines telling the wood of his guitar comes from Tunnel 13, LOL

Great song overall but agree, totally cringe line. Like truffling from Get Lucky!
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineMatchstickman

• Camerado
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #61 on: April 15, 2024, 09:21:00 PM »
I really can't believe that he include the lines telling the wood of his guitar comes from Tunnel 13, LOL

Great song overall but agree, totally cringe line. Like truffling from Get Lucky!

That bit throws me off every time I listen to this song. My mind goes: did he really sing what I think I just heard? 

OnlineLove Expresso

• Lady writer
« Reply #62 on: April 15, 2024, 09:27:51 PM »
It's art. He is breaking the fourth wall.  ;)

LE
I don't want no sugar in it, thank you very much!

OfflineBilly’s Tune

• Camerado
« Reply #63 on: April 25, 2024, 09:19:14 PM »
I’m hearing enormous parallels with Gordon Lightfoot’s Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald here. It’s very similar writing and story telling, very similar musical composition. All good!

OfflineJacob28

• Guitar George
« Reply #64 on: April 26, 2024, 12:24:59 AM »
I’m hearing enormous parallels with Gordon Lightfoot’s Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald here. It’s very similar writing and story telling, very similar musical composition. All good!

I had exactly the same feeling the first time I heard it :)!

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #65 on: April 28, 2024, 03:12:00 PM »
Fourth minute and 17 seconds. Is that Guy Fletcher and the keyboards? Very cool effect, too bad it's only once.
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlineknopfler1

• Camerado
« Reply #66 on: April 28, 2024, 06:27:32 PM »
I don’t mind the guitar wood line. I’m assuming he heard the story of Tunnel 13 when the guitar was acquired and that was the inspiration, so fitting that it’s mentioned there in the song

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #67 on: April 28, 2024, 07:46:34 PM »
I don’t mind the guitar wood line. I’m assuming he heard the story of Tunnel 13 when the guitar was acquired and that was the inspiration, so fitting that it’s mentioned there in the song

The connection between the Virgin Rosewood Timbers harvested in Oregan very near Tunnel13 used to make MKs guitars and in fact those very same timbers that would have witnessed the events of 11th October 1923 is exactly what MK spoke about at the album promo in London. I like the line myself having heard MK speak very deeply about it...

From the Boswell MK page:

The back and sides are beautiful old-growth Honduran mahogany, while the top is the Tunnel redwood that used to line the train tunnels high in the Siskiyou Mountains

Boswell guitar story page:

With all the excitement surrounding Tunnel 13 and 14, and all the incredible guitar wood they both had already yielded, Bill thought there might be a chance that these abandoned tunnels may be the next source for redwood guitar tops.  I drove down and picked up the first of what would end up being many huge redwood timbers, to see what we had.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2024, 08:15:47 PM by Knopflerfan »
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #68 on: April 28, 2024, 08:17:39 PM »

Don't understand why it's a cringe line, the redwood used to 'Top' MKs Boswell guitars is in fact from around Tunnel 13....

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #69 on: April 28, 2024, 08:21:25 PM »

Don't understand why it's a cringe line, the redwood used to 'Top' MKs Boswell guitars is in fact from around Tunnel 13....

Because up until then, the song is a story, sung by a storyteller. Then with one line, MK stops being any storyteller, as in the folk tradition, and becomes himself. Very jarring.

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #70 on: April 28, 2024, 09:14:21 PM »

Because up until then, the song is a story, sung by a storyteller. Then with one line, MK stops being any storyteller, as in the folk tradition, and becomes himself. Very jarring.

That's your interpretation and of course fine but I take it personally that it is in fact MK that is the storyteller here thus the last few lines....

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #71 on: April 28, 2024, 11:21:22 PM »
Yes, everything I post here is my interpretation. :)

There’s nothing personal to MK until the last line, that’s why it sticks out.

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #72 on: April 28, 2024, 11:31:16 PM »
Yes, everything I post here is my interpretation. :)

There’s nothing personal to MK until the last line, that’s why it sticks out.

Didn't state anything was personal to MK until the last line! MK is telling you the tale of tunnel13 and then BOOM he hits you with the last few lines and how the wood used for his guitar relates to the tale.... :wave

Offlineshangri la 1

• Founder
  • Juliet
  • Hi all and welcome to A.M.I.T.
    • AMIT TV
« Reply #73 on: April 29, 2024, 12:27:51 AM »
This amazing forum proves to me just how imaginative & innovative a group of MK's most ardent fans have become.
His writing is so thought provokng & layered that it works on the interpretations of us all very differently.

SL1

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #74 on: April 29, 2024, 12:30:55 AM »
This amazing forum proves to me just how imaginative & innovative a group of MK's most ardent fans have become.
His writing is so thought provokng & layered that it works on the interpretations of us all very differently.

SL1

It's true.
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.047 seconds with 35 queries.