Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Making Movies  (Read 5207 times)

OfflineRivers Of Rain

• Guitar George
Re: Making Movies
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2020, 10:41:09 PM »
Hi all, this is my first post on here. I think this is a great album, which ranks as my second favourite DS album after Love Over Gold. I must admit I'm not a fan of Les Boys, which I agree would have been better as a B-side. I actually left it off the album in my music library as I think it really jars with the other six tracks, which otherwise flow very well (the only other drawback of note being the album's relatively short runtime). I especially love side one of the album, as Tunnel of Love (my personal favourite track on here), Romeo and Juliet and Skateaway are great songs individually but put together make one of the best album sides in rock.
I got shot off my horse, so what I'm up again...

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2020, 08:57:02 AM »
He's great, but I don't understand Les Boys ;)

Les Boys is one of the best songs on this record, really!
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineGrumpydwarf

• Local Hero
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2020, 09:06:00 AM »
It is. Expresso Love and Solid Rock are the lesser ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2020, 09:11:01 AM »

To me, the less one is "Hand in hand", despite the fact is beatiful, is a song that doesn't fit with the rest of songs...

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2020, 12:18:08 PM »

To me, the less one is "Hand in hand", despite the fact is beatiful, is a song that doesn't fit with the rest of songs...

Would agree with that.  I find myself not listening to it so often.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflinePierre

• Camerado
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2020, 04:58:07 PM »
Strangely enough I think "Hand in hand" would have been greater in Communiqué. It's like it was meant for this album musically.

I have always thought this album lacked one more song or two.

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2020, 09:15:01 AM »
Strangely enough I think "Hand in hand" would have been greater in Communiqué. It's like it was meant for this album musically.

I have always thought this album lacked one more song or two.

I always think that if CD and streaming won't exist, all MK records would have less songs in order to fit in the regular vynil duration of around 45 minutes, could you imagine GH or STP shortened to almost the half?

OfflineGrumpydwarf

• Local Hero
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2020, 09:26:14 AM »
I prefer albums around the 40-50 minutes mark. I also dislike double albums which are not an opera or some other cohesive work. Honestly, I think some of MK’s albums have too many songs. Not that I wouldn’t want some songs released, but I can see a few extra albums in there. For instance: The Ragpicker’s Dream has songs which drag a lot. You Don’t Know You’re Born is way too long (whereas Hill Farmer’s Blues fades out during the take off). Even Coyote, which is a good song, drags for almost 6 minutes. And I’m talking about an album which is below the 60 minutes mark.

(By the way, I see in other forums that some people are way too excited about this enormous political divide in society and get annoyed by opinions. This is just my opinion, nobody should get annoyed by it - just ignore it or disagree with all your might, but don’t shoot me, folks!)

hunter

« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2020, 10:11:04 AM »
I prefer albums around the 40-50 minutes mark. I also dislike double albums which are not an opera or some other cohesive work. Honestly, I think some of MK’s albums have too many songs. Not that I wouldn’t want some songs released, but I can see a few extra albums in there. For instance: The Ragpicker’s Dream has songs which drag a lot. You Don’t Know You’re Born is way too long (whereas Hill Farmer’s Blues fades out during the take off). Even Coyote, which is a good song, drags for almost 6 minutes. And I’m talking about an album which is below the 60 minutes mark.

(By the way, I see in other forums that some people are way too excited about this enormous political divide in society and get annoyed by opinions. This is just my opinion, nobody should get annoyed by it - just ignore it or disagree with all your might, but don’t shoot me, folks!)

Totally agree with this. I used to think the more songs, the better, but even a songwriter of Mark's caliber end up with some fillers, and I think almost all his albums could have benefited from some trimming. Plus, as you say, a lot his songs are very long. 40-50 minutes is perfect, especially if you're the type who likes to sit down and listen intently to the whole album, which I do.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2020, 10:34:16 AM »

Ragpicker's Dream is one of my favourite MK albums, but I agree with some of what you say.    HFB was definitely faded out far too soon, so it was a delight to hear it played live in 2008 with a fantastic solo.   With regard to Coyote, the live versions from 2010 were far superior to the album version and the same applies to Why Aye Man.  In the main, though, I still enjoy this album, especially the acoustic Marbletown.   For me, the perfect album length is around 60 mins, but any longer would inevitably have some fillers.

Regarding politics on this forum - personally, I don't think it would work.  It is a music forum first and foremost and a place to escape the political mayhem elsewhere!   Political discussions almost always end in tears!   ;)

« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 10:36:45 AM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2020, 10:36:33 AM »

Tracker has a lot of songs with endless minutes of nothing, just the same melody again and again where nothing really important happens, many track could had been shortened to almost the half without loosing anything important!

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2020, 10:47:52 AM »

Tracker has a lot of songs with endless minutes of nothing, just the same melody again and again where nothing really important happens, many track could had been shortened to almost the half without loosing anything important!

That's actually was what I was thinking about during the 2019 show that I've attended. Looks like Mark started to become a fan of outros, more than ever before. I mean almost every song just goes on and on into infinity with some sort of outro, I wonder if it's the age thing or something. But yes, that can be a bit overused sometimes.

hunter

« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2020, 10:52:01 AM »

How about Why Worry, then?

Of course these long outros create ambience and gives the listener a chance to breathe a little, and generally I like that, but it can a bit excessive in Mark's case. At least there should be happening something (It Never Rains for example), not just repeating a riff or motif over and over.

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2020, 10:58:22 AM »

Of course these long outros create ambience and gives the listener a chance to breathe a little, and generally I like that, but it can a bit excessive in Mark's case. At least there should be happening something (It Never Rains for example), not just repeating a riff or motif over and over.

Why worry didn't have the long outtro when it was released, at least not in the vinyl, but that intro was interesting and full of nice moments, like the drums bits, the bass lines etc etc etc. It wasnt just repeat the guitar and piano notes.

hunter

« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2020, 11:11:55 AM »

Why worry didn't have the long outtro when it was released, at least not in the vinyl, but that intro was interesting and full of nice moments, like the drums bits, the bass lines etc etc etc. It wasnt just repeat the guitar and piano notes.

According to Google, WW had a 5:22 minutes runtime on vinyl and 8:31 (!) minutes on CD and cassette. The outro starts at 4:30. On vinyl it is too short, I agree, but on the CD it could easily have been shortened with a couple of minutes.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.051 seconds with 45 queries.