Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Bonus section MK.com now available!  (Read 65294 times)

Rollergirl

Re: Bonus section MK.com now available!
« Reply #90 on: October 17, 2009, 03:45:21 PM »
Fair enough if you like it's sound but I just think it's got a horrid sharp tone that sounds the same all the time on every tune and quickly becomes tiresome.  I think it ruined TR on the last tour - there was simply no place for it there and it took away one of MK's solo's. :( 

You are probably the only one (or one of the few) thinking that but hey, we're all different! (and that's a good thing!).

Personnally, I love the cittern and everything that John Mc brings to the band. There you are, I have done it again, I have just appointed myself President of the Johnettes (or the McCuskerettes, which one is best, do you think?)  ;D

Back on subject, nobody has yet been able to answer my question: "how the bleeep are they going to contact the winner of the Deluxe Box?

OfflineJeroenvG

• Lady writer
  • Follow me on "twitter.com/vanDiemensLand"
    • Alles Muziek (Dutch)
« Reply #91 on: October 17, 2009, 04:09:13 PM »

Back on subject, nobody has yet been able to answer my question: "how the bleeep are they going to contact the winner of the Deluxe Box?

I don't remember anymore if I did leave my Email adress or name when signing in to this Bonus site. I have an account to that site maybe that's they way they look at it? That you have to have an account and the cd?

I really don't know, anybody who send a mail to them allready got any answer?
"I could play my accordion And charm all of the women And dance round the taproom With a chair in my teeth"

Rollergirl

« Reply #92 on: October 17, 2009, 04:12:51 PM »
Thanks Jeoren.  I do remember that I was granted access to the bonus section just by putting my CD on the computer. I did not give my email address...

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #93 on: October 17, 2009, 04:36:26 PM »
You are probably the only one (or one of the few) thinking that but hey, we're all different! (and that's a good thing!).

Personnally, I love the cittern and everything that John Mc brings to the band. There you are, I have done it again, I have just appointed myself President of the Johnettes (or the McCuskerettes, which one is best, do you think?)  ;D

[/quote]
Oh no, don't get me wrong I think JMcC is an integral part of the band but not on almost every song.  There is a place for his great musicianship in certain songs, I just think he is being overused.  It's like they're deciding "oh we'll just shove a cittern on this tune so you have something to do!"  The damn thing's popping up everywhere - I'm going to start having nightmares about it! ;D
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineGennT

• Camerado
  • Where them chilly winds don't blow...
« Reply #94 on: October 17, 2009, 04:50:45 PM »
Actually yeah I think it is true,You can have an example at "What It Is" on the WDR Radio gig a few days ago,You can hardly hear the MK solos in that one because the fiddle is playing the lead parts.John McCusker surely is a great musician and it is a must for the MK's band line up but not necessarily in some songs as it is actually ruining the feel of it.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #95 on: October 17, 2009, 05:57:53 PM »
On the other hand, though, I thought his violin in the second verse of "Why Worry" really enhanced the song.  I found it quite exquisite!  :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #96 on: October 17, 2009, 06:06:28 PM »
On the other hand, though, I thought his violin in the second verse of "Why Worry" really enhanced the song.  I found it quite exquisite!  :)
Me too, leading me to believe it may be played on the next tour.  I loved the drums on the album version though, very inspired.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #97 on: October 17, 2009, 06:12:06 PM »
dmg,  I really hope so.  It's one of my favourite DS songs and, although it was played on the ATRR tour, I thought Emmylou ruined the song.  Mark's voice alone, almost whispering the lyric is perfect!    :P
Goin' into Tow Law....

Rollergirl

« Reply #98 on: October 17, 2009, 06:45:34 PM »
Actually yeah I think it is true,You can have an example at "What It Is" on the WDR Radio gig a few days ago,You can hardly hear the MK solos in that one because the fiddle is playing the lead parts.John McCusker surely is a great musician and it is a must for the MK's band line up but not necessarily in some songs as it is actually ruining the feel of it.

Oh I see what you mean. Still don't agree though, I don't think he's overused.

OfflineGennT

• Camerado
  • Where them chilly winds don't blow...
« Reply #99 on: October 17, 2009, 07:41:30 PM »
No, I am not saying he is being overused,I always liked him and he really gives a good sound to the songs especially during the 2008 tour but I don't like the way MK's guitar parts are being somehow replaced with other instruments these last few gigs.I mean we are all here for MK and his guitar,the band plays a very important role in the songs but it is not a good idea to change the way some songs are played as it really means a lot to some people, maybe Mark himself wants to rest from playing guitar that much and letting some more room for other instruments but in my opinion it is a bad idea.I hope "what it is" won't ever be played like that again.

OfflineFieneke2

• Romeo
« Reply #100 on: October 17, 2009, 09:20:03 PM »
Well it took some time and a lot of frustration because I didn't know exactly what to do (did I say in the past that I am intelligent??  ;D) BUT finally I am a member of the MK bonus members site also!  ;)

Fieneke
If you are good to other people, most of them are good to you too!

Rollergirl

« Reply #101 on: October 18, 2009, 02:29:16 PM »
No, I am not saying he is being overused,I always liked him and he really gives a good sound to the songs especially during the 2008 tour but I don't like the way MK's guitar parts are being somehow replaced with other instruments these last few gigs.I mean we are all here for MK and his guitar,the band plays a very important role in the songs but it is not a good idea to change the way some songs are played as it really means a lot to some people, maybe Mark himself wants to rest from playing guitar that much and letting some more room for other instruments but in my opinion it is a bad idea.I hope "what it is" won't ever be played like that again.

Sorry Genn, I quoted the wrong post (Yes I am blond, alright? ;D) I meant to quote dmg who was saying he thought he was overused.

Offlinelocalhero1986

• Lady writer
« Reply #102 on: October 18, 2009, 10:12:04 PM »
Hmm, I still miss Jim's piano part during sultans of swing. Without this beautiful part, the whole song could be skipped in my opinion. :-\ Back on topic (? :P ) John is a great musician. He can make the folk sound in the band come alive. Especially WII, STP, SAN, Marbletown, TR sounded better during the last tour (compared to previous tours in my opinion). Nothing beats a real instrument, even an expensive synth can't do the job. :P

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #103 on: October 18, 2009, 11:05:22 PM »
Hmm, I still miss Jim's piano part during sultans of swing. Without this beautiful part, the whole song could be skipped in my opinion. :-\ Back on topic (? :P ) John is a great musician. He can make the folk sound in the band come alive. Especially WII, STP, SAN, Marbletown, TR sounded better during the last tour (compared to previous tours in my opinion). Nothing beats a real instrument, even an expensive synth can't do the job. :P
No, no, no!! :o  Cannot disagree with you more!  Jim took a great liberty with his piano solo on Sultans and sent most of the audience to sleep.  It's okay to do solo's like that in a small jazz club but when you have about 10,000 fans patiently awaiting the final solo it's just not appropriate.
John is a great musician.  Fact.  One cannot argue a fact.
TR on the last tour must surely have been the worst versions by some distance and not just because of John's cittern but Mark never broke sweat on his solo's either (those he decided not to omit that is).
Sorry mate, it would be a funny world if we all liked the same things!

OfflineIrisRose

• Not just another angel
  • Founder
  • Romeo
« Reply #104 on: October 19, 2009, 12:27:22 AM »
I like the individual touches that different band members add to the songs.   That's one of the reasons I collect--to listen to all those obvious or subtle or somewhere inbetween bits of newness and variety.   
It does seem to me that MK is giving JMcM a lot of play time.    But I love it.   He gives the music a whole new sound, which is great, imo.   That doesn't mean that what went before is not enough.   Damn, I hate double negatives.     What went before is all part of the MK sound--so is what's being played now.   It's all wonderful.  I still have my likes and 'not so likes' of the tracks, but the combinations of musicians work for me very well.     Take Marbletown.  For me, it was just a track on the RPD cd, but played in concert with that tremendous string trio, it becomes unforgettable.    :)
But a spoonful of forgiveness
Goes a long, long way
And we all should do our best
To get along

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.051 seconds with 47 queries.