Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Bonus section MK.com now available!  (Read 65421 times)

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
Re: Bonus section MK.com now available!
« Reply #105 on: October 19, 2009, 08:50:32 AM »
I really loved TR on the last tour, especially from Red Rocks and Charlotte (I still listen to it a lot), but it was just another example of how Mark can adapt a song to fit in with other members of the band.   Of, course I still adore the previous version too!    Marbletown, WII, Speedway and STP, all benefited greatly from John's musicianship on the last tour imo. 

You're quite right though, dmg, it would be strange and dull if we all liked the same thing!    ;)

« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 08:57:53 AM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineFenderBender

• Camerado
« Reply #106 on: October 19, 2009, 10:41:28 AM »
Interesting that you should mention Red Rocks, SuperVal, as that was one of the shows which John McCusker missed due to problems with his visa.

I too enjoy John's contributions to Mark's music, both on record and live. His style really fits with the direction Mark has chosen the past few years. He also provides a bit of welcome animation on stage. As wonderful as the rest of the band are, they are not the most demonstrative of performers, so John's bobbing around as he plays provides a little bit of extra entertainment.
This baker's boy from the West Country

Rollergirl

« Reply #107 on: October 19, 2009, 10:45:31 AM »
And he lowers the average age a tad!  ;D

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #108 on: October 19, 2009, 11:05:23 AM »
Fenderbender - Yes, even though John is not on the Red Rocks concert, it is one of my favourites of the 2008 tour. The Charlotte gig was with John's cittern and I liked it equally as much.  Both TR's (Red Rocks and Charlotte) have the same basic arrangement, and both work well, for me anyway!   :)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 11:07:53 AM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #109 on: October 19, 2009, 11:48:02 AM »
And he lowers the average age a tad!  ;D

Yeah, but Mark still has more hair! ;D :o
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineWaterline Man

• Lady writer
« Reply #110 on: October 19, 2009, 12:00:47 PM »
Does anyone know what the problem with JM visa was - it was discussed on the other forum but got taken down like a gazelle in Africa :o :o
If it aint broke dont fix it!

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #111 on: October 20, 2009, 12:50:07 AM »
TR on the last tour must surely have been the worst versions by some distance and not just because of John's cittern but Mark never broke sweat on his solo's either (those he decided not to omit that is).
Sorry mate, it would be a funny world if we all liked the same things!

The problem on TR in 2008 is that Mark switched to electric too far in the song. If you listen to the studio version you can hear that both the National and the electric are played all along. But as there is only one Mark on stage, the part featuring the National is only the  intro excepted in 1991/1992 where Chris and Paul plays some Mark's part with great result. But in 2008 the National part was even longer and Richard also took some part usually devoted to Mark. Although an excellent guitar player, he sounded was way too weak on that - and generally speaking I found Richard buried in the mix (SAN for example). He plays too low, if you remember 2005 he plays very nice early line on The Mist Covered Mountains but to hear them properly you had to be standing just in front of his amp.
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #112 on: October 20, 2009, 01:10:51 PM »

The problem on TR in 2008 is that Mark switched to electric too far in the song. If you listen to the studio version you can hear that both the National and the electric are played all along. But as there is only one Mark on stage, the part featuring the National is only the  intro excepted in 1991/1992 where Chris and Paul plays some Mark's part with great result. But in 2008 the National part was even longer and Richard also took some part usually devoted to Mark. Although an excellent guitar player, he sounded was way too weak on that - and generally speaking I found Richard buried in the mix (SAN for example). He plays too low, if you remember 2005 he plays very nice early line on The Mist Covered Mountains but to hear them properly you had to be standing just in front of his amp.
[/quote]
The National on the album version does make it sound nice but the cittern sure doesn't sound like MK's National.  The best TR has sounded live was when MK changed to electric after the intro just before the lyrics start without any doubt in my opinion like during the GH, STP and SL tours.

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #113 on: October 20, 2009, 04:20:04 PM »
For me the GH tour come first. STP version was not memorable with Geraint and on the SL tour I biased myself with  the "why he keep that one and do not play TOL instead" syndroma. The final solo on the Pensa is still blistering but this is the first 10 minutes that bores me.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #114 on: October 20, 2009, 05:42:41 PM »
For me the GH tour come first. STP version was not memorable with Geraint and on the SL tour I biased myself with  the "why he keep that one and do not play TOL instead" syndroma. The final solo on the Pensa is still blistering but this is the first 10 minutes that bores me.
Yes, if MK feels that he has to mess around with the arrangement of TR to avoid getting bored with it to such an extent then it annoys me too that he doesn't play TOL especially when he knows it will please so many of the fans but I guess it's something we just have to accept now.  I always find it interesting to note that it's never been played since Alan Clark left the band and his piano was stunning on that song but surely Matt could do it.  This has all been discussed many times though and at the end of the day we don't know why it's not played any more and it probably won't be again sadly. :'(

Offlineshangri la 1

• Founder
  • Juliet
  • Hi all and welcome to A.M.I.T.
    • AMIT TV
« Reply #115 on: October 20, 2009, 11:03:29 PM »
 :) Me too ....."T.O.L."
TOL is, and has been, on the top of my "Wish" list for 10 years now. I thought the 1991 version with the extended intro

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #116 on: October 21, 2009, 11:36:53 AM »
Although I have not big hope about it, I have no clue if it will or not be played again. After all who had bet that HFB would make the 2008 tour or that Mark would have a try with "The Man'sToo Strong". What event in his life can make him change his mind and think "TOL is fun to play again and the public will love it"  ;D

I have no doubt that Matt could take the seat with great result as he already do it on R&J and TR. Or next time, Mark should take Roy Bittan and Benmont Tench in the band.

OfflineJeroenvG

• Lady writer
  • Follow me on "twitter.com/vanDiemensLand"
    • Alles Muziek (Dutch)
« Reply #117 on: November 09, 2009, 08:02:41 PM »
Again a new contest, and the winner from the Deluxe box is allready announced.

The new contest is to refer a friend, then you could win one of three copies of Martin Guitar Masterpieces, signed by author Dick Boak.

http://www.markknopfler.com/Contests/SendAFriend/

Thanks to everyone who entered the trivia contest and congratulations to our winner, Reudiger from Germany. Your box set will be mailed out to you soon.

The answers to the questions were:

In what year did Mark receive the OBE?
A: 1999
What kind of animal was named after Mark in 2001?
A: A dinosaur/Masiakasaurus knopfleri
What is the nickname of Mark's regular backing band?
A: The 96ers

http://www.markknopfler.com/bonus/pastcontests.aspx
"I could play my accordion And charm all of the women And dance round the taproom With a chair in my teeth"

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #118 on: November 10, 2009, 09:59:18 AM »
r
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Onlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #119 on: November 10, 2009, 11:13:14 AM »
lol

On John, I agree he's a good and worthy addition to the band, but he is a bit redundant on some songs. The cittern really added to True Love Will Never Fade, but was pretty pointless on Telegraph Road, So Far Away, Shangri La and Going Home. At least when Chris White was there they accepted that he didn't have to play his main instrument on EVERY song, would be better if JM took a leaf out of his book and did some percussion or went and had a fag or something.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.046 seconds with 41 queries.