Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Mark releases a statement about Pussy Riot  (Read 12239 times)

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
Re: Mark releases a statement about Pussy Riot
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2012, 04:08:46 AM »
yeah, as if...
i think it is good that he speaks out.
poor mother russia....tsar putin again shows his not so nice side..
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

OfflineIrisRose

• Not just another angel
  • Founder
  • Romeo
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2012, 07:40:02 AM »
But only some, Fletch.   Those who wanted to abolish slavery, including Jefferson and Washington, were outvoted.   Some, like Hamilton wanted voting rights for only landowners, and certainly such rights for women was not even considered.  Native Americans?   The conquered to be contained.  
Yes, I love my country deeply, and for the most part our laws and values and develeoped in a balanced way, after several disasterous laws and court decisions against women, blacks, native Americans, immigrants, religious groups    etc etc.      We've been sorting it out, bit by bit, and hopefully more civilized.    Afraid, however, that we are jumping backward into intolerance with new laws restricting women's rights, special qualifications  and Identity cards required to vote.   New campaigns against same sex marriage, against the right to choose, to be able to come here to work and gain citizenship, to be productive and forward thinking members of a community.    We are back to that old 20s and 30s KKK ranting and railing and  about the dangers  if any race or religion not accepted by the Daughters of the Revolution.     Thus, the vicious  and intolerable biased reporting and speechmaking by candidates and newscasters wanting to return to a theocracy of exclusion.       This has become quite a rant, but the tone in this beautiful country has become frightening.   Within one month--three mass killings!!!!!    You can put it on the hate rhetoric by certain candidates, so called news commentators and so called news media. 
But a spoonful of forgiveness
Goes a long, long way
And we all should do our best
To get along

OfflineIrisRose

• Not just another angel
  • Founder
  • Romeo
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2012, 07:44:32 AM »
Mark has also lent his name   and his prescence in videos to the Amnesty international campaign.   It's not topromote his music,   I think his comments and involvement are truly from his heart and have nthing to do with record sales or publicity
Goes a long, long way
To get along

OfflineRkd

• Camerado
  • and the thread was spun to some arcadian band...
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2012, 07:49:38 AM »
Afraid, however, that we are jumping backward into intolerance    

So true. Makes me worried about our future.

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2012, 12:01:33 PM »
I really don't get it when people assume mark does this to promote his album? That behavior runs in the family, look at David's posts on Facebook, I just think they were well educated.

OfflineIrisRose

• Not just another angel
  • Founder
  • Romeo
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2012, 04:36:33 PM »
Also, look at his father's history--a true model for outspokenness against injustice.     
Goes a long, long way
To get along

Offlineholaknopfler

• Setlist Hero
  • Romeo
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2012, 04:43:44 PM »
Knopfler brothers are very well educated. Just look at their lyrics. :)
If i was a Fender guitar, Fender painted red...

OfflineDIFFICULTTOBELIEVE

• Local Hero
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2012, 09:12:53 PM »
 I too am wary of musicians who use their position to make political statements. However, I am sure Mark has thought a lot before releasing his statement and that he has not made it to boost ticket or CD sales. You can bet Russia is not included in the 2013 tour.

OfflineRail King

• Lady writer
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2012, 11:04:11 AM »
What about some backing vocals by Pussy Riot on Mark's next album?  :lol

And Ustas, whether Mark likes their music is not the point. The point is the two years they got for this. That's ridiculous and a shame. I hope there will be more Russians who dare to stand up against their president, like Pussy Riot and others did.

Offlineingridswing

• Founder
  • Rüdiger
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2012, 11:15:23 AM »
I too am wary of musicians who use their position to make political statements. However, I am sure Mark has thought a lot before releasing his statement and that he has not made it to boost ticket or CD sales. You can bet Russia is not included in the 2013 tour.

A lot of musicians do use their position to make political statements. And I hope they keep on doing it. Freedom of speech is important so people have to fight for that. And I am also sure MK had a good thought before giving his statement.

Offlineustas

• Lady writer
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2012, 01:22:03 PM »
And Ustas, whether Mark likes their music is not the point. The point is the two years they got for this. That's ridiculous and a shame. I hope there will be more Russians who dare to stand up against their president, like Pussy Riot and others did.

I was just trying to be very accurate. But people, do you understand what you are talking about? I live there in Russia, and this situation does not looks like "black or white" for me. Pussy Riot (PR!) had a lot performances in Moscow, at public places like Red Square with songs like "Putin has pissed", "Putin go out, holy shit." etc. The band of stupid young art-extremists.  Without any political programme or any idea.  They were trying to shock public during latest 6 month but without any success. Nobody paid any attention for them. They wanted better PR!  And they got it. The main terrible thing of it that Russian state machine provided with this great PR for them! How it's stupid! And immediately - 3 extremists begun to be political prisoners.

I do not have big respect for Putin, also I do not have any respect to Russian Ortodox Church, but I hate any kind of extremism and without any doubt I'm totally sure that Pussy Riot have to be punished. I just desagree with court's decision, 2 year in prison. I'm sure that 6 month of labor in hospice or hospital would be good punishment for them.

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2012, 01:39:27 PM »
and those 6 months they already spent behind bars anyways. so punishment enough (not saying they should've been punished in the first place)
But Ustas, what is with freedom of speech?
if they wanna get publicity and make silly songs about Putin pissing or whatever, so what? at the same time you have putin controlling all the media where he is "free" to say what he wants as well, isn't that what democracy is about? (amongst other things)
Everyone has the right for their opinion, and so mark did what he felt needed to be done. end of story imho.

Love Expresso

« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2012, 01:40:40 PM »
I would like to thank ustas for making his point clear in a very accuate and eloquent way.

LE

Offlinenaif

• Camerado
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2012, 01:58:49 PM »
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 02:03:13 PM by naif »

Offlineustas

• Lady writer
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2012, 02:10:13 PM »
But Ustas, what is with freedom of speech?

Are you kidding? There is not any problem. Today it's "depeche mode" in Russia to have any protest agianst Putin or government. And nobody was arested yet. Perhaps you would like to see Russia as GULAG forever.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 02:29:17 PM by ustas »

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.038 seconds with 37 queries.