Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: On every street, 21 years ago...  (Read 8098 times)

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
On every street, 21 years ago...
« on: September 09, 2012, 09:44:46 AM »
If I
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
Re: On every street, 21 years ago...
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 11:25:28 AM »
Yes, you're right!  I can remember getting it on the day of release too.  I was so excited about it's release and I even remember where I bought it - Woolies!  Due to the fact I was one of the first to purchase the album, I received a free limited badge with the OES logo on it which is quite nice (don't know how rare these are).  Ah, the wonder of Woolies! ;D
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2012, 11:48:28 AM »
Yes, you're right!  I can remember getting it on the day of release too.  I was so excited about it's release and I even remember where I bought it - Woolies!  Due to the fact I was one of the first to purchase the album, I received a free limited badge with the OES logo on it which is quite nice (don't know how rare these are).  Ah, the wonder of Woolies! ;D

I also remember where I bought it, it was a shop that no longer exists...

In that moment of my life I was moving from one town near Madrid to another one near Valencia, so in the proccess of moving, I went to the local record store and bought it in cassette!!!!

It was one of the happiest moments of my life  :)

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2012, 12:07:59 PM »
In fact, not only does the store not exist any more but the actual chain is out of business!  The CD I have is the actual CD I bought on that day though, still going strong.  If it does break down now I can't take it back!  :lol

OfflineMaxx

• Camerado
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2012, 02:29:39 PM »
A question from one who wasn't around at that time; How was your expectations, and did the album live up to them at that very moment?

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2012, 02:34:28 PM »
A question from one who wasn't around at that time; How was your expectations, and did the album live up to them at that very moment?

I was amazed because it was the first DS record I bought the very same day it was released, and as already had the NHB and the Chet Atkins cds, the new sounds in OES didnt caught me by surprise.

Offlineingridswing

• Founder
  • Rüdiger
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2012, 02:34:45 PM »

I also remember where I bought it, it was a shop that no longer exists...

In that moment of my life I was moving from one town near Madrid to another one near Valencia, so in the proccess of moving, I went to the local record store and bought it in cassette!!!!

It was one of the happiest moments of my life  :)

I can remember it as well, was on my way to the office, heard on radio the release was this day, turned around, back to my village, waited till the shop opened and got it ;-)

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2012, 02:59:17 PM »
jbaent, exactly the chain of events you describe! Some day of release, but for me it was the 13th.  (because in Greece the Greek edition vinyl was issued in the 13th...) The store's name was either "Trust" or the parent company "Happening" unfortunately both of them shut over 15 years ago.

I didn't like the singles or videos (OK HF was fun!) but I was thrilled because it was happening the same time for me!
The record had flaws (as I said I could do without the three international singles, that tried hard to catch the younger audience or the fans that had a fixation with the BiA hits), but it was the longest studio record ever! Over 60 minutes. But it has at least 6 tracks that are fantastic, and that's one more than the (really better) LoG. It is still one of the weaker moments in the DS catalog, but 9/10 is not bad is it?  ;D

Bare in mind that we were growing older and the world of music showed me its vastness, around the same time. Listening to the new wave of Brit pop from MTV UK, was a huge revelation for me, and having more money (selling books and my cassette tapes)  I could buy older second hand records that were fantastic. (Pink Floyd, Fleetwood Mac, Bob Dylan, Steve Miller, J.J. Cale, Cream etc) Therefore the record got considerable less spins than the ones before them.
And a side note. My first pay check was 90000 drachmas and the OES vinyl cost 2070 Drachmas. I thought it was expensive, since most records use to cost  1100-1700 Drachmas. Only the imported reached 2000. And 2000 Drachmas was 6 Euros.
Come on, it is not funny anymore.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2012, 05:42:57 PM »

Good question.  Just prior to the albums' release I had bought the CE single in a Virgin in Edinburgh.  On the way home (with my parents) we stopped off at some relatives and they let me play it.  At the time I was really into the early stuff from the first couple of albums even more than BIA and when I heard CE I was disappointed.  I only had a few days to listen to it before my concert (which was on Friday the 13th) and all that week I was still at school, so the new songs played live were still pretty unknown to me.  Of course, the album had some tracks on it I thought were better and over the years it has firmly established itself as one of my favourite albums of all.

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2012, 08:23:39 PM »
I did buy the single while in Edinburgh : wasn't that much impressioned but it sounded good. Ma fave was Iron Hand.

I was not able to buy it on the actual street date release but did as soon as I could and loved it from first play. PONO and YAYF were for me the obvious high of the album while HF was the low.
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2012, 08:39:28 PM »
Forgive my ignorance but wasn't the OES tour the one that started with Calling Elvis and its long introduction. My wife may have played the album beforehand (I don't know) but, if I heard it, I'd never really listened to it. The first time I heard CE in concert I thought it OK. However, after several concerts' worth of it, I increasingly came to hear those opening notes with a modicum of dread. Maybe my memory is playing tricks on me but it seemed to take so long for the song really to get going. 

Perhaps someone here will tell me that, if they heard various versions of CE live, they could identify the concert from those opening notes but, for me, it was the same each night.

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2012, 08:45:52 PM »
CE for me was always one note too many. But I believe that on most concerts it had the same intro.
Come on, it is not funny anymore.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2012, 09:27:46 PM »
Yes, Danny must have been exhausted before the concert even began on that tour!  It had the long percussion intro to build up tension in the crowd with the lights out, the band would walk on stage then the song would burst into life and all the lights would go on.  Brilliant!  Or so I thought.  That, along with RAtR were the best openers for me by some distance.

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2012, 09:46:51 PM »
Too bad how long never got played on that tour, and only 1 time ever..... Really like that song. I am also one of the few that likes my parties. And I am a sucker for fade to black. I also loved the b- sides... Was not too impressed, if not dissapointed back then, but now, as with Dmg. It is one of my favorites...
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2012, 09:47:51 PM »
I remember "staying up" to see the world premiere of the video for CE....oh boy, the excitement (and I liked the vid)
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.054 seconds with 38 queries.