Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: concert without straits songs?  (Read 7298 times)

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
Re: concert without straits songs?
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2012, 01:17:59 PM »
The important point is that he plays songs I like. Some are DS ones, some are solo career ones.
But most important is that he does NOT play the ones I can't stand for various reason. There some DS stuff in the list and solo stuff as well.
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2012, 01:28:16 PM »
The important point is that he plays songs I like. Some are DS ones, some are solo career ones.
But most important is that he does NOT play the ones I can't stand for various reason. There some DS stuff in the list and solo stuff as well.

I have a small issue with the DS ones he plays;  he plays these for the tourist.  This means we get songs like BIA, SFA, R&J all the time.  The hard-core fans such as ourselves would (may I suggest) prefer to hear other songs once in a while.  I suppose it's hard to please everyone but I think we'd all be happy to have Sultans left in.

The solo stuff is fine and quite rightly, it should now be a mix.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflinexxFordiexx

• Camerado
  • Knopfler is KING!
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2012, 02:15:47 PM »
I would be very happy to go to a concert and hear all DS songs and no solo songs!  I'm not saying they're rubbish, but being honest the DS stuff is what I fell in love with and I'll always love that best.  In fact Speedway is probably the highlight of any MK show these days.

You should go see The Straits ;)

I have principles! ;)

hahahahahaha me too  8)

Lol, in all honesty what a great position for MK to be in to have such a wide catalogue of amazing songs to pick :)
Fordie

A long time ago came a man on the track......

OfflinexxFordiexx

• Camerado
  • Knopfler is KING!
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2012, 02:16:48 PM »
I must also add, I'd hate for BIA to ever be dropped as It is one of the greatest songs ever written imo. Always so sublime live too. Great atmosphere :)
Fordie

Offlinenababo

• Camerado
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2012, 03:01:11 PM »
I just wanna see him play, no matter which songs...
Amen! Of the people that go to see MK solo shows (not opening for Bob)..I would estimate that about 85-90% of that crowd are get-a lifers...just like us..and would know every song in the set list..regardless the songs being DS or MK solo. As for the occasional a-holes who decide (unwisely) to shout out "PLAY MONEY FOR NUTHIN" (like the idiot next to me in 2008 did during "Marbletown")...most of the aforementioned would probably do like I would...turn to the  offender and tell them quietly but tersely to..shut the fuck up. SOS will never be dropped..it was his first big break..and both R&J and BIA are just too important to him.
Beg to differ. I know that the percentage is rather 30% get-a-lifers, 70% for various reasons:
a)want to see a living legend, before he leaves the building
b)guitar aficionados
c)DS old fans
d)The "better half" or kids that go out to see what  sort of music their not so good half / parents like
e) rock fans who have heard his latest album but wish for the good old times
and the list goes on.
Maybe we can ask for a test trial!  ;D But really it doesn't matter for us, we would go anyway.

Totlly agree. There are many die-hard fans, but we are spread all over Europe and, of course, the barbarian outside world. Not enough to sell out every show. The great majority goes to see the-man-who-used-to-wear-a-headband-and-plays-that-rocky-tunes. So the probability of hearing a conehead shouting "play wake of life" is very, very huge.
Love over gold, mind over matter

Offlinesweetsurrender

• Romeo
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2012, 04:50:02 PM »

I'm with Potttel on this one.  Anything Marks play is heaven for me. Of course I have my own list of favorites and they are almost all of them.  IMHO, die-hard fans (like us ) are certainly outnumbered by concert-goers that just want to go out and have a good time. They know a few famous songs and they expect them at the shows. SO, yes, concerts without good old DS songs could be detrimental to their well-beings.  So, it's all right for Mark to throw in SOS, R&J, BIA, TR but really no " Wake of Life" though ! :lol

Offline3Strats

• Camerado
  • 3 Strats . . and a number of others
    • dtvaviation images.co.uk
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2012, 09:13:56 PM »
I'm hoping the current setlist is the result of the 70 minute slot & will be filled out with a few DS tracks for Next year's "full" tour. I've heard Marbletown on each of the last 3 tours and although I think the live version is much better than the album track I think it's due to be  "rested".

It's great that he is playing so many from the new album & I hope he continues that next year. I'll be seeing him in Newcastle so I'd expect he'll find room for Why Aye Man & Local Hero (or wild theme) when he plays there. along with with SoS, R&J & BIA

Ultimately, I'm sure he chooses based on what HE thinks his best songs are and which ones best utilise the instruments he has available.
Looking forward to seeing Guy on the Uke .
When you point your finger 'cause your plan fell through you've got 3 more fingers pointing back at you.
MK tour photos & my music page can be found at: http://dtvaviationimages.co.uk

DTRW Tour: Newcastle.  Block A, Row E,
seats 21 & 22

OfflinexxFordiexx

• Camerado
  • Knopfler is KING!
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2012, 11:00:37 AM »

I'm with Potttel on this one.  Anything Marks play is heaven for me. Of course I have my own list of favorites and they are almost all of them.  IMHO, die-hard fans (like us ) are certainly outnumbered by concert-goers that just want to go out and have a good time. They know a few famous songs and they expect them at the shows. SO, yes, concerts without good old DS songs could be detrimental to their well-beings.  So, it's all right for Mark to throw in SOS, R&J, BIA, TR but really no " Wake of Life" though ! :lol

I love Walk Of Life....... there I said it  ;D
Fordie

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2012, 01:23:43 PM »
It's a conundrum for many musicians, especially songwriters. I suspect most would prefer to play their more recent songs while the audience (whether "lifers", "one-nighters" or "in-betweeners") would like to hear the more (for want of a better word) "famous" songs. In the long run, if a musician merely panders to the "give us the old songs" brigade, the music will suffer. It must be kept fresh.

Additionally, the musician must be free to play just what he or she wants to play - new-old, short-long, old arrangement-new arrangement, whatever. If the musician feels uncomfortable with the material played live, the performance will suffer.

Personally, I'd prefer more variety in MK's set lists but it really is up to him.

Offlineferguitar

• Local Hero
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2012, 02:57:28 PM »
I would have no problem if this "say" concert would have a set list like this (material among this): Imelda, Golden Heart, Im the fool, Jesuis de sole, Baloney Again, Last Laugh, Silvertown Blues, Wanderlust, Wag The dog, Metroland, Why Aye Man, Hill Farmer's Blues, Old Pigweed, "5.15 A.M, Whoop De Doo, Sucker Row, The Scaffolder's Wife, Let It All Go, Madame Geneva, Border Reiver, Miss You Blues, Privateering, Seatle.....

I would have a problem with a show with only Straits songs if would have the same old overplayed songs.

OfflineMusicGirl1

• Local Hero
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2012, 04:19:19 PM »
Hi folks,

Yes I am a big Mark fan, but it's been a very long time, since the last time I've seen him live.
You may say I lost track of Mark a bit the last few years (please forgive me for that.....), but recently you may say I have re-discovered him. That means I don't know, what his last tours were like.......

Regarding the question if I would be fine with a show without any Dire straits songs? Yes, personally I think I could do without those songs as Mark now has more than plenty of good solo material to choose from.

I personally am one of those people who goes to concerts to enjoy the music, but for many people it is a night out and they expect an artist to also play some of the well known big hits. So an artist always has to find a balance between hits. new material, other material and maybe even a few rare songs. Even as an artist, you simply can't please everyone.....

Maaike

Offlineshooting_star_night

• Camerado
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2012, 10:36:26 PM »
He has to play them this Fall :)

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2012, 10:46:44 PM »
I would have no problem if this "say" concert would have a set list like this (material among this): Imelda, Golden Heart, Im the fool, Jesuis de sole, Baloney Again, Last Laugh, Silvertown Blues, Wanderlust, Wag The dog, Metroland, Why Aye Man, Hill Farmer's Blues, Old Pigweed, "5.15 A.M, Whoop De Doo, Sucker Row, The Scaffolder's Wife, Let It All Go, Madame Geneva, Border Reiver, Miss You Blues, Privateering, Seatle.....

I would have a problem with a show with only Straits songs if would have the same old overplayed songs.
nice selection...
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2012, 11:20:06 AM »
Looks like yesterday, in the second date of this NA tour with Krusty, and if the setlists are correct, MK played his second concert without DS songs...
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2012, 12:10:01 PM »
Nicely observed! But still this is no regular show, he is just playing before BD. But could be a start. I guess someone is reading AMIT!
Come on, it is not funny anymore.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.04 seconds with 35 queries.