Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: (5) Black tie jobs  (Read 2991 times)

OfflineNick14

• Camerado
Re: (5) Black tie jobs
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2024, 06:50:48 PM »
I find this incredibly moving. The whole 21 song experience has left me very emotional actually. I'll be 50 next year. I've loved MK's music for 40 of those years....as BIA started it all for me when I was about 10 years old. Other than Mark, 99% of the music I love is by people either dead or older to elderly. Dylan (soon 83), Springsteen (75 in sept), Grateful Dead/Bob Weir (GD long gone, Bobby mid 70s), Neil Young, Willie Nelson (90....), Paul Simon, then all the late folks...Petty, The Band, Zevon, Cash, Lou Reed etc. Music has been my world my whole life. This year I will see Springsteen live 3 times, and Eric once. Mark no longer plays. I'm aware the clock is running down, and the music life I've known my whole life won't be with me much longer. The gigs will end, and soon. The albums too. So, recently, when those I love and are still active release new music I've found it almost overwhelming emotionally as I know the end us in sight. Dylan's Rough and Rowdy Ways, Springsteen's Letter to You, Simon's 7 Psalms. And now, after 6 years  to have 21new songs from Mark of such quality and depth, and to know this feeling again, maybe for the last time (hopefully not)....well......mortality is scary, and things ending is scary. This is precious and I'm going to enjoy it all as much as possible.

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2024, 06:57:44 PM »
I find this incredibly moving. The whole 21 song experience has left me very emotional actually. I'll be 50 next year. I've loved MK's music for 40 of those years....as BIA started it all for me when I was about 10 years old. Other than Mark, 99% of the music I love is by people either dead or older to elderly. Dylan (soon 83), Springsteen (75 in sept), Grateful Dead/Bob Weir (GD long gone, Bobby mid 70s), Neil Young, Willie Nelson (90....), Paul Simon, then all the late folks...Petty, The Band, Zevon, Cash, Lou Reed etc. Music has been my world my whole life. This year I will see Springsteen live 3 times, and Eric once. Mark no longer plays. I'm aware the clock is running down, and the music life I've known my whole life won't be with me much longer. The gigs will end, and soon. The albums too. So, recently, when those I love and are still active release new music I've found it almost overwhelming emotionally as I know the end us in sight. Dylan's Rough and Rowdy Ways, Springsteen's Letter to You, Simon's 7 Psalms. And now, after 6 years  to have 21new songs from Mark of such quality and depth, and to know this feeling again, maybe for the last time (hopefully not)....well......mortality is scary, and things ending is scary. This is precious and I'm going to enjoy it all as much as possible.

Beautiful and sad post. We have to take every day we have. I'm in the same situation. I have been consciously with MK since the Missing...THN album. Mark Knopfler's new material reminded me of our transience.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2024, 07:00:58 PM by Robson »
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlineborder_reiver

• Founder
  • Romeo
  • "I've been down in Louisiana playing on his album"
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2024, 07:27:57 PM »
Funny how different it can be. It's skipper no 1.

A skipper on ODR - no way....

I thought so too at first, but here we are.  :) When the novelty of it wore off it's lukewarm at best.
"My idea of heaven is a place where the Tyne meets the Delta, where folk music meets the blues."

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2024, 06:39:43 PM »
This is steadily moving up my playlist, especially having heard the Atmos version - 'collins and bobs' and that stunning, haunting guitar solo gets me everytime!
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2024, 06:46:08 PM »
This is steadily moving up my playlist, especially having heard the Atmos version - 'collins and bobs' and that stunning, haunting guitar solo gets me everytime!

Absolutely.  Love this one.  The solo is so simple but the simplicity is the thing that catches you.  Also the tone and echo on it gives it another dimension.  Beautiful and classy.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineRail King

• Lady writer
« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2024, 06:52:30 PM »

Hey Nick, I'm almost as old as you, and wanted to encourage you to continue exploring new music. My list of all-time heroes looks similar to yours, but I keep coming - not often, but again and again - across new names that fascinate me just as much as these oldtimers. Just two days ago, I saw Austrian band Bilderbuch live for the second time, and they are absolutely mind-blowing. Maybe not something for you (they sing in German), but I'm sure that there must be dozens of other acts that I or you would love if only we had heard of them. Keep your ears open - every now and then, you'll be rewarded. Good songwriters, singers and players don't just die out like dinosaurs did.

OfflineNick14

• Camerado
« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2024, 07:15:28 PM »
Thanks, I've tried but largely failed over the years. I like Big Thief alot. I'll keep trying!

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2024, 07:32:20 PM »
"I like Big Thief alot"

Me too and Mark too :)
Clear as the day

Offlinestratmad

• Camerado
  • Fan (with a capital F) since 1985
« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2024, 07:49:00 PM »
Mumford & sons.
Coldplay.
Sean Lennon and James McCartney have just released a song together. How cool is that?
And have you heard that Art Garfunkel's son has recorded his dad's songs in German?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Something from the past just comes and stares into your soul...

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2024, 09:38:40 PM »
Mumford & sons.
Coldplay.
Sean Lennon and James McCartney have just released a song together. How cool is that?
And have you heard that Art Garfunkel's son has recorded his dad's songs in German?

Is this trolling?!
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinestratmad

• Camerado
  • Fan (with a capital F) since 1985
« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2024, 09:53:16 PM »
Mumford & sons.
Coldplay.

Is this trolling?!

Why trolling? I like Mumford, and Coldplay. Haven't heard the other song yet. Garfunkel jr. sounds just like his dad.
The point is that there will always be real musicians out there, making great music.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Something from the past just comes and stares into your soul...

OnlineBanjo99uk

• Romeo
« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2024, 02:23:58 AM »

Absolutely.  Love this one.  The solo is so simple but the simplicity is the thing that catches you.  Also the tone and echo on it gives it another dimension.  Beautiful and classy.
Easily the the most emotional and melodic song on the album.

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2024, 02:44:57 AM »

Easily the the most emotional and melodic song on the album.

Yes! These are my feelings too. Simplicity has always been MK's strength and this is further proof.
Clear as the day

OfflineElin N

• Camerado
« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2024, 09:56:17 PM »
It brought me to tears too. Beautiful melody. The strength in simplicity! I didn't realise the meaning of the lyrics before reading the posts here. I googled "black tie" and thought it could be Mark trying to say some comforting words to the people he meets who has strong and sad personal stories. Imagine visiting the hospital for the TCT charity or similar things, and you are supposed to be the person who brings light and joy to people in difficult situations.
How wrong I was, once again I learn something new  :) 

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.048 seconds with 39 queries.