Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: (02) Back on the Dance Floor  (Read 72495 times)

OfflineDarling Pretty

• Lady writer
  • DS Fan since April 1987-Miami Vice episode S02E03
Re: (02) Back on the Dance Floor ##* Spoiler Lyrics *##
« Reply #105 on: November 02, 2018, 11:07:21 AM »
jepp.
 absolutely
It is a cool song. Can work out live very well
and hey---no pipes

would not say boring. Long cool girl and River Towns are more boring to me
Love will find a Way

Love Expresso

« Reply #106 on: November 02, 2018, 12:15:37 PM »
Boring was my first Impression at the first listen as it leads to nothing ... outro too long and it would have been cool if something "happened" at the second half.. Not automatically a solo.
I did not say that it might not grow on me. But first impression was a very cool wrapped up thing with not too much substance.

Dire Straits feel I agree very much, to me the most at the "shake em down shake em down" lyrics and guitar bits.

LE

OfflineNick14

• Camerado
« Reply #107 on: November 02, 2018, 12:15:49 PM »
It all comes down to tastes and preferences etc - for me, neither of the songs released so far are the style of music I like - neither do it for me really. I am not really a "rock" fan - I like folk, country, blues, rock and roll (I would call it). But - I am pretty confident that there will be other songs on the album that I like a whole lot more. But if not - and I have a sneaking feeling this may be one of my least favourite Mark albums but time will tell - then that's ok - I have tons of records I like. I love lots of Privateering, almost all of Tracker (River Towns is a favourite) - and loads of what came before. Those who love these songs and this sound - great - there will be other songs on the album no doubt that you don't like as much and are not your thing. All Mark can do is make records that he likes.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #108 on: November 02, 2018, 12:19:45 PM »
So
Good on you son = Early Bird 2.0
Back on the dance floor = Terminal of tribute to 2.0

what else?

This doesn’t sound like terminal at all

please, exactly same melody in different sauce

I have to agree here with PensaGhost.  A bit of You Don't Know You're Born in there too.  However, that doesn't make it a bad song.  In fact I love it and think the guitar sound is fab and the synths are also great.  Certainly my cup of tea.  I only hope they aren't releasing the best song from the album and it's all downhill now...
« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 12:23:17 PM by dmg »
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinekaleo74

• Lady writer
« Reply #109 on: November 02, 2018, 12:20:18 PM »
Come on guys, when Beryl came out I thought that Tracker would be a DS style album and we agree that it not what we were expecting. For this one, I must admit that it was unexpected, knowing Mark is not a dancer anymore, but I have the feeling that I will love this one more than any other since Sailing to Philadelphia and Shangri la,

There is something of River of grog at first beginning of the verses but with an upbeat tempo and the end reminds us me of Ride across the river style with all the ambiance and heavy guitar, terminal of course and it doesn’t bother me, Mark is doing Mark that’s it. 
If I realised that the chances were slim,
How come I'm so surprised when the tide rolled in

Love Expresso

« Reply #110 on: November 02, 2018, 12:23:55 PM »
It's absolutely funny how many and which songs you all are hear in it!   :lol

LE

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #111 on: November 02, 2018, 12:34:34 PM »
jepp.
 absolutely
It is a cool song. Can work out live very well
and hey---no pipes

would not say boring. Long cool girl and River Towns are more boring to me

Couldn't agree more.   :clap

Whatever you think about this song it is not boring.  You may like the aforementioned songs but they are not exactly pushing boundaries. 
« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 12:38:04 PM by dmg »
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

hunter

« Reply #112 on: November 02, 2018, 12:38:57 PM »
I agree that Long Cool Girl is boring in the sense that very little is happening musically. Yet, it just resonates with me. There's a certain melancholy to it that I just like. Plus there is that classic Knopfler rhythm guitar going on that he doesn't use a lot these days.

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #113 on: November 02, 2018, 01:09:17 PM »
Wow, I thought I'd come on to lots of praise, I'm quite surprised by the mixed reactions. It's the best MK song I get in a long time. My opinion, of course.
I am the Iron Fist. Protector of K'un-Lun. Sworn enemy of the Hand.

OfflineK-alberto

• Camerado
« Reply #114 on: November 02, 2018, 01:11:11 PM »
It's been the very first thing I listened to this morning... And I was really, really surprised by the care they put on the arrangement, the sonds and effects... I really like it, it's really a good song, I too find reminiscences from TOTT, but this one is SO MUCH BETTER that tott will be a pale memory.

I'd just have the curiosity to hear this same song with a more "liquid" sound, a Strat sound or similar, but I know it won't be possible.

(PS: just to add one more song to the list...: anybody else hearing some "Shot the monkey" of Peter Gabriel in it?)  ::)

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #115 on: November 02, 2018, 01:18:48 PM »
It's been the very first thing I listened to this morning... And I was really, really surprised by the care they put on the arrangement, the sonds and effects... I really like it, it's really a good song, I too find reminiscences from TOTT, but this one is SO MUCH BETTER that tott will be a pale memory.

I'd just have the curiosity to hear this same song with a more "liquid" sound, a Strat sound or similar, but I know it won't be possible.

(PS: just to add one more song to the list...: anybody else hearing some "Shot the monkey" of Peter Gabriel in it?)  ::)

I second that, looks like they put a lot of effort into the arrangements this time around. Now I understand why it took so long to get finished!
I am the Iron Fist. Protector of K'un-Lun. Sworn enemy of the Hand.

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
« Reply #116 on: November 02, 2018, 01:22:00 PM »
That heavy guitar sound at 2.45  :D :clap  8)
Proud member of the AMIT crew

OfflineNick14

• Camerado
« Reply #117 on: November 02, 2018, 01:27:02 PM »
Of course you can say it is boring if you find it so - that is personal taste. With this and GOYS I am hoping that there are much better songs on the album - by which I mean I hope there are songs I like much more than these two. If there are not then I will hate the album - but I am 99.9% sure there will be plenty on there I like. The style of the first two songs released is not for me......my favourite Mark songs of recent years? Haul Away, Radio City Serenade, Laugh and Jokes, Lights of Taomina, Heart of Oak, Silver Eagle, My Heart Has Never Changed, Yon Two Crows, Border Reiver, Get Lucky, Montelone, Piper to the End. if you asked everyone on here thier favouite songs from the last few albums everyone would give a different answer and someone's least favourite would be someone elses number one big favourite.

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
« Reply #118 on: November 02, 2018, 01:29:33 PM »
So
Good on you son = Early Bird 2.0
Back on the dance floor = Terminal of tribute to 2.0

what else?

This doesn’t sound like terminal at all

please, exactly same melody in different sauce

I have to agree here with PensaGhost.  A bit of You Don't Know You're Born in there too.  However, that doesn't make it a bad song.  In fact I love it and think the guitar sound is fab and the synths are also great.  Certainly my cup of tea.  I only hope they aren't releasing the best song from the album and it's all downhill now...

The Terminal of Tribute melody was simply too good to be left out of a main album, problem solved now.

This is basically a lighter, less dramatic version of the same song/melody put in a different dress with a little bit of
many other MK songs here and there as others mentioned.
A Pensaboy who later became a Pensaghost http://pensaboy.altervista.org/guitar.html

hunter

« Reply #119 on: November 02, 2018, 01:31:55 PM »
my favourite Mark songs of recent years? Haul Away, Radio City Serenade, Laugh and Jokes, Lights of Taomina, Heart of Oak, Silver Eagle, My Heart Has Never Changed, Yon Two Crows, Border Reiver, Get Lucky, Montelone, Piper to the End.

Remove Laughs n Jokes and Border Reiver, and you have a playlist which will cure insomnia.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.043 seconds with 43 queries.