Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: (02) Back on the Dance Floor  (Read 72485 times)

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
Re: (02) Back on the Dance Floor ##* Spoiler Lyrics *##
« Reply #150 on: November 02, 2018, 06:08:54 PM »
Yep, I like it, with a lovely starting rhythm... Its very 'Fresh' and I'm liking the sound. MK certainly steals the show with some lovely guitar playing.. Imelda May on backing vocals is a nice touch..
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlinevr46mk

• Lady writer
  • Early Bird
« Reply #151 on: November 02, 2018, 07:21:33 PM »
Agree with some comments here...

I was really excited about it when I first heard the guitar during the first part of the song...
The rest? Hmm, it's not awful (MK never is), but it's not "Wow!" either, it's good but not the best one of the album I think...

After the first 1-2 listenings, I thought I'd rate this one higher than GOYS, but it's starting to become the opposite now... just the way it is.
Anyway, happy another single came out before album release.

Now I just want to know my FA seats!!!! :clap

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
« Reply #152 on: November 02, 2018, 07:36:05 PM »

I was really excited about it when I first heard the guitar during the first part of the song...
The rest? Hmm, it's not awful (MK never is), but it's not "Wow!" either, it's good but not the best one of the album I think...

After the first 1-2 listenings, I thought I'd rate this one higher than GOYS, but it's starting to become the opposite now... just the way it is.

hehe I am rating

Good on you   4/10   (6+ the live version without overproduction)
Dancefloor      7+
A Pensaboy who later became a Pensaghost http://pensaboy.altervista.org/guitar.html

OnlineGIUMK

• Camerado
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #153 on: November 02, 2018, 07:38:03 PM »

Well yes, as a first impact GOYS has a more radio-friendly cut compared to BOTDF but, in my opinion, because it has a beginning and an end not of first impact for the general public. However, by making the right cuts, it will work very well even on the radios. ;)

Love Expresso

« Reply #154 on: November 02, 2018, 07:58:18 PM »

hehe I am rating

Good on you   4/10   (6+ the live version without overproduction)
Dancefloor      7+

7+ is a very good rating. If TR is a 10 and Speedway and 5.15 am are a 8 for me, then there is nothing better than 5 since 2012... it's fresh and new of course  and we are like junkies so we love that there is ANYthing new, but I really doubt that these two songs will played very often in my future.. but it's good enough to not annoy me. I can listen to it as I listen to radio music during household work or stuff like that... it has a good cool mood. I picture cruising through a big city on a warm summer midnight, being cool, party people, heading to the next club...

LE

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #155 on: November 02, 2018, 08:11:35 PM »
Of course you can say it is boring if you find it so - that is personal taste. With this and GOYS I am hoping that there are much better songs on the album - by which I mean I hope there are songs I like much more than these two. If there are not then I will hate the album - but I am 99.9% sure there will be plenty on there I like. The style of the first two songs released is not for me......my favourite Mark songs of recent years? Haul Away, Radio City Serenade, Laugh and Jokes, Lights of Taomina, Heart of Oak, Silver Eagle, My Heart Has Never Changed, Yon Two Crows, Border Reiver, Get Lucky, Montelone, Piper to the End. if you asked everyone on here thier favouite songs from the last few albums everyone would give a different answer and someone's least favourite would be someone elses number one big favourite.
I could have written this myself.

Decidedly underwhelmed by the first two songs and love the ones you mention.

My main issue is with Guy's attempt at "modern" production. Some may think it's "new" and different but frankly I find it forced, contrived and out of place.

Hoping for some better "rootsy" type songs on the album and less of Guy's nonsense.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OnlineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #156 on: November 02, 2018, 08:55:51 PM »
Sometimes I do not understand. If Mark records similar albums, I read complaints, now we have something new, fresh, I also read complaints. Of course, everyone has their own taste, but I do not understand :)
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlinedannr1

• Camerado
« Reply #157 on: November 02, 2018, 09:15:58 PM »
jepp.
 absolutely
It is a cool song. Can work out live very well
and hey---no pipes

would not say boring. Long cool girl and River Towns are more boring to me
River Towns, boring :o

Offlineregmka

• Guitar George
« Reply #158 on: November 02, 2018, 09:17:51 PM »
Sometimes I do not understand. If Mark records similar albums, I read complaints, now we have something new, fresh, I also read complaints. Of course, everyone has their own taste, but I do not understand :)

Well, I've never asked for something fresh.

+1 to dustyvalentino and Nick14. I really miss those touching songs from Mark. And The Boxer cover shows that Mark is still able to perform such songs. Btw, both GOYS and BOTDS are ok, but I really hope that the rest of the album is more traditional.

Love Expresso

« Reply #159 on: November 02, 2018, 09:38:48 PM »

It's simply the fact that it doesn’t matter how well and overloaded something is produced.. when the material is weak it will shine through and all the layers seem like a disguise. Contrary would be a song like Heart of Oak which needs nothing but Mark and a guitar and is so powerful because the song itself is high quality. BOTD is hardly something to expect from a songwriter but.. pop music?

Or: The less confident Mark and Guy are about the material, the more layers they wrap on to it to disguise the weakness.

This is nothing you have to agree with, it's just my opinion.

LE
« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 09:41:31 PM by Love Expresso »

OnlineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #160 on: November 02, 2018, 09:46:36 PM »

It's simply the fact that it doesn’t matter how well and overloaded something is produced.. when the material is weak it will shine through and all the layers seem like a disguise. Contrary would be a song like Heart of Oak which needs nothing but Mark and a guitar and is so powerful because the song itself is high quality. BOTD is hardly something to expect from a songwriter but.. pop music?

Or: The less confident Mark and Guy are about the material, the more layers they wrap on to it to disguise the weakness.

This is nothing you have to agree with, it's just my opinion.

LE

I understand everything but Back On The Dance Floor is not pop music for me. It is a very good composition, well done. With taste, and sounds great.

I am tired of comparisons to Telegraf Road or Speedway At Nazarerth. Mark is looking into the future, he is also changing. He want something new. It's creative
« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 09:48:55 PM by Robson »
Clear as the day

Love Expresso

« Reply #161 on: November 02, 2018, 09:52:43 PM »
Listening to it right now and having Guy's sentence from today in my mind "If we don’t play it live I'll leave the band.."

It struck me that it really could be a title track on a Guy Fletcher solo album, soundwise, with MK guesting on the guitar. And it would be the best track on the album for sure. It's just not Mark.

I like the chorus singing with Guy's background vocals very much by the way. Shake em all down..

LE

OnlineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #162 on: November 02, 2018, 09:53:02 PM »
But let's wait. We only know two songs :)
Clear as the day

Love Expresso

« Reply #163 on: November 02, 2018, 09:57:51 PM »
This song, I agree, is not too bad and I appreciate it much more than let's say play around with stuff in Oklahoma Ponies.. which was just a fun number.of course.
Eagerly awaiting Trapper Man and Drover's Road more than ever. High hopes for good MK material here.

LE

Offlineprimi

• Camerado
« Reply #164 on: November 02, 2018, 10:04:21 PM »
I'm not gonna lie. This is a skipper.

It's like Vic&Ray just got groove. But it's still Vic&Ray...

Skipper was the first word that got in my mind, too. Then: "boring". And then: Is this really from the same man who wrote Telegraph Road or Romeo & Juliet or Sailing To Philadelphia?

LE
Definitely a skipper for me. Not surprised though. These days I'm down to 1 or 2 good songs per MK album at best so still plenty to chose from when it comes out. Unless this time I get to zero lol.

Shame because I really had high hopes for this song. They had Imelda May and they came up with this?

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.054 seconds with 43 queries.