Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: (02) Back on the Dance Floor  (Read 72512 times)

Love Expresso

Re: (02) Back on the Dance Floor ##* Spoiler Lyrics *##
« Reply #225 on: November 04, 2018, 11:24:51 AM »
I know it doesn't sound remotely like BOTDF, but Robert Palmer's "Addicted to Love" would fit in the same "type" of song!

Absolutely. And as quizzaciously said very early, that Brian Ferry feel. But feel or type is completely different from copying own stuff.

LE

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #226 on: November 04, 2018, 11:28:18 AM »
OK if we are saying it's OK to recycle your own stuff that's fine but not sure about other artists.

Wouldn't surprise me if whoever owns the publishing for The Letter is sending their own letter to MK right now. It's note for note.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlineborder_reiver

• Founder
  • Romeo
  • "I've been down in Louisiana playing on his album"
« Reply #227 on: November 04, 2018, 11:28:42 AM »
I know it doesn't sound remotely like BOTDF, but Robert Palmer's "Addicted to Love" would fit in the same "type" of song!

What now?  :)

That's a straightforward rock songs with power chords. MK remembered that stuff temporarily with Corned Beef City and then forgot it again.

I can't seem to fit it into this jazz-primental.  ;)
"My idea of heaven is a place where the Tyne meets the Delta, where folk music meets the blues."

Love Expresso

« Reply #228 on: November 04, 2018, 11:33:58 AM »
What strikes me more is that I think that this "modern" style doesn't fit with MK. Looking at that old man in the videos from the last weeks, this sounds like a costume, like a scam almost. In 2002 he recorded Daddy's Gone To Knoxville, or later a brillant timeless masterpiece like Basil, that was where his character, age and skills culminated in a piece of art.
These first two songs sound like, I am out of spirits, uninspired, here Guy, these are the lyrics, make me something.  Implausible is the word.

LE
« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 11:42:22 AM by Love Expresso »

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #229 on: November 04, 2018, 11:35:33 AM »
Agree 100% with that LE. Very strange.

Anyway. For my money The Letter is one of the all time great pop songs and I find this video hilarious. Check out the audience!

"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #230 on: November 04, 2018, 11:41:40 AM »
I am just glad that MK is still exploring other music, even in his "old age".  It shows that he is still looking forward and hasn't followed the usual elderly singers who have resorted to covers and Christmas albums - thank God!    :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Love Expresso

« Reply #231 on: November 04, 2018, 11:50:23 AM »
No doubt about that, Val.

But if he would have come up with an album just he and an acoustic, with a dozen songs near the quality of River Of Grog or Heart Of Oak, even if they all would have just been around 2 or 3 min., and abandoned the electric guitar, I guess I would have been much more pleased.
But of course, these are just two songs. One or two real MK gems from the new record could make me become reconciled pretty fast. I have very high hopes for Drover's Road and Nobody's Child after JF's and Rail King's descriptions.

LE

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #232 on: November 04, 2018, 12:01:24 PM »
No doubt about that, Val.

But if he would have come up with an album just he and an acoustic, with a dozen songs near the quality of River Of Grog or Heart Of Oak, even if they all would have just been around 2 or 3 min., and abandoned the electric guitar, I guess I would have been much more pleased.
But of course, these are just two songs. One or two real MK gems from the new record could make me become reconciled pretty fast. I have very high hopes for Drover's Road and Nobody's Child after JF's and Rail King's descriptions.

LE

Yes, I'm sure there will be songs on the album to satisfy everyone's tastes.  As for me I really love BOTDF - even more with each listen and, although I like GOYS a lot, I prefer Dancefloor.    Acoustic songs, like River of Grog, will be great to have on the album too, but there has to be some upbeat music too otherwise it may be rather dull and samey.

Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #233 on: November 04, 2018, 12:06:11 PM »

Anyway. For my money The Letter is one of the all time great pop songs and I find this video hilarious. Check out the audience!

Love the video, dusty!  Was the audience filled with zombies?  :lol    BTW The Letter is one of my all time favourites.   
« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 12:55:57 PM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

Love Expresso

« Reply #234 on: November 04, 2018, 12:07:32 PM »
I re-read Rail King's first impressions and I must say I am totally impressed by them. I adore how positive and motivated the lines are written and they really make me even more curious. Much better written as anything from journalists in reviews and similiar. (Liked that Captain Future reference, big fan of Christian Bruhn's score. Who would have thought that my both passions would come together on an album from MK).

LE

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #235 on: November 04, 2018, 12:31:22 PM »
I'm also more a fan of songs like "radio city serenade", "Seattle", "heart of oak", "hard shoulder" etc and that kind of songs but I'd like that the record has one of two like that and the rest are fresh and new like the two songs we already know...
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #236 on: November 04, 2018, 12:33:16 PM »
I re-read Rail King's first impressions and I must say I am totally impressed by them. I adore how positive and motivated the lines are written and they really make me even more curious. Much better written as anything from journalists in reviews and similiar. (Liked that Captain Future reference, big fan of Christian Bruhn's score. Who would have thought that my both passions would come together on an album from MK).

LE

I just read Rail King's notes again myself and, I agree with you, LE, he is a very good writer and all of the songs are so wonderfully described that I want that album right now!   ;D
« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 12:36:51 PM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

hunter

« Reply #237 on: November 04, 2018, 12:55:37 PM »

Yes, I'm sure there will be songs on the album to satisfy everyone's tastes.  As for me I really love BOTDF - even more with each listen and, although I like GOYS a lot, I prefer Dancefloor.    Acoustic songs, like River of Grog, will be great to have on the album too, but there has to be some upbeat music too otherwise it may be rather dull and samey.

I think an album with only Mark and an acoustic guitar really wouldn't work. He just doesn't have the carrying power of say someone like James Taylor or Paul Simon. He needs backing musicians.

Love Expresso

« Reply #238 on: November 04, 2018, 12:59:21 PM »
Totally disagree. He's at his best alone with a guitar.

LE

hunter

« Reply #239 on: November 04, 2018, 01:41:23 PM »
Let's agree to disagree.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.045 seconds with 53 queries.