Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: (02) Back on the Dance Floor  (Read 72485 times)

Love Expresso

Re: (02) Back on the Dance Floor ##* Spoiler Lyrics *##
« Reply #240 on: November 04, 2018, 01:48:33 PM »
Of course!  :wave

LE

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #241 on: November 04, 2018, 01:54:29 PM »
I am just glad that MK is still exploring other music, even in his "old age".  It shows that he is still looking forward and hasn't followed the usual elderly singers who have resorted to covers and Christmas albums - thank God!    :)

:thumbsup Essence
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

hunter

« Reply #242 on: November 04, 2018, 09:13:15 PM »
I sure like Imelda May's voice with Mark's music. Ruth Moody, who is great in her own right, sounds like a young girl in comparison.

JF, is Imelda featured on other tracks as prominently as on this track?

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #243 on: November 04, 2018, 11:41:19 PM »
The song on the radio sounds beautiful :)
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

OfflineFletch

• Romeo
« Reply #244 on: November 04, 2018, 11:48:53 PM »
OK if we are saying it's OK to recycle your own stuff that's fine but not sure about other artists.

Wouldn't surprise me if whoever owns the publishing for The Letter is sending their own letter to MK right now. It's note for note.

Where does it end? When it Comes To You (OES) is carbon copy of JJ Cales Same Old Blues, and Why Worry is a cc of that instrumental on the Chet album, the list goes on. This sort of thing is really only a legal problem when lawyers get involved eg My Sweet Lord etc.
Otherwise, as has been mentioned many times, almost all western music is built upon Blues/Jazz standard progressions and the melodies float on top at their own peril of plagiarism. I find it hard to listen to almost anything 'new' these days without hearing past songs and I've just come to accept it.
Hey, i`ve got a truffle dog - finally a song the ordinary man can relate too!

OfflineNick14

• Camerado
« Reply #245 on: November 05, 2018, 10:20:48 AM »
I gave this a few more listens but it got worse rather than better - easily one of my least favourite MK songs. I find it bland, boring, soulless, and lacking in any depth. I find Guy's influence takes the song into areas that I am just not interested in musically - and the lyrics are not capitaving enough to then get me interested. It was similar, though not as much so, with GOYS. Someone said, I think, that it sounded like something on a Guy solo record - and I am not a fan of his music at all. I don't find it innovative - and the fact that it is Mark trying something new matters not a jot to me - for me it is about whether I like the song or not - and I don't like this song. But - that is no big deal as I have said - every Mark album contains songs I love, songs that I like, songs I find ok, and, usually, one or two I don't like at all. For me one of Mark's great strengths is his variety, despite what some say, I find his styles pretty varied amongst genres of music - and it sounds like this album will be no different. I listed earlier the sort of songs I love - my favourite Mark solo songs....to those I would include, over the years.....Golden Heart, Darling Pretty, Night in Summer, Sailing to Philadelphia, What it Is, The Last Laugh, Silvertown Blues, One More Matinee, Speedway, Old Pigweed, Devil Baby, Hillfarmer, Ragpicker, Koxville, Quality Shoe, Stand-Up Guy, Paraguay, Scaffolder, Secondary Waltz, Heart full of Holes.....that's the stuff I love - and I hope to add to that list with some stuff of the new album.

Offlineborder_reiver

• Founder
  • Romeo
  • "I've been down in Louisiana playing on his album"
« Reply #246 on: November 05, 2018, 10:37:46 AM »
Someone said, I think, that it sounded like something on a Guy solo record - and I am not a fan of his music at all. I don't find it innovative - and the fact that it is Mark trying something new matters not a jot to me - for me it is about whether I like the song or not - and I don't like this song.

That is probably why Guy is raving about this song. It's right up his alley. Just like yourself I'm hoping that the other tracks differ in style.

Pipes and fiddles, please come back. All is forgiven!  ;D
"My idea of heaven is a place where the Tyne meets the Delta, where folk music meets the blues."

OfflineRail King

• Lady writer
« Reply #247 on: November 05, 2018, 10:43:22 AM »
I re-read Rail King's first impressions and I must say I am totally impressed by them. I adore how positive and motivated the lines are written and they really make me even more curious. Much better written as anything from journalists in reviews and similiar. (Liked that Captain Future reference, big fan of Christian Bruhn's score. Who would have thought that my both passions would come together on an album from MK).

LE

Oh, thank you, LE. Christian Bruhn is indeed a genius, as is Mark. And yes, I'd never ever thought that I'd mention them both in one sentence one day. Anyway, you'll definitely like Nobody Does That, then. Hardly the "best" song on the album, but certainly one of the most enjoyable.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #248 on: November 05, 2018, 10:45:07 AM »
I love Dancefloor more and more each day - can't stop listening!    I also love all of the songs that Nick 14 mentions and I'm sure the new album will be a mix of songs that satisfies every taste.    :)

Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #249 on: November 05, 2018, 10:47:36 AM »
Someone said, I think, that it sounded like something on a Guy solo record - and I am not a fan of his music at all. I don't find it innovative - and the fact that it is Mark trying something new matters not a jot to me - for me it is about whether I like the song or not - and I don't like this song.

That is probably why Guy is raving about this song. It's right up his alley. Just like yourself I'm hoping that the other tracks differ in style.

I agree with regard the folkies and am sure we will inevitably get some Pipes and Whistles but hopefully not too much... I personally really like BOTDF along with GOYS....
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #250 on: November 05, 2018, 12:04:16 PM »
I gave this a few more listens but it got worse rather than better - easily one of my least favourite MK songs. I find it bland, boring, soulless, and lacking in any depth. I find Guy's influence takes the song into areas that I am just not interested in musically - and the lyrics are not capitaving enough to then get me interested. It was similar, though not as much so, with GOYS. Someone said, I think, that it sounded like something on a Guy solo record - and I am not a fan of his music at all. I don't find it innovative - and the fact that it is Mark trying something new matters not a jot to me - for me it is about whether I like the song or not - and I don't like this song. But - that is no big deal as I have said - every Mark album contains songs I love, songs that I like, songs I find ok, and, usually, one or two I don't like at all. For me one of Mark's great strengths is his variety, despite what some say, I find his styles pretty varied amongst genres of music - and it sounds like this album will be no different. I listed earlier the sort of songs I love - my favourite Mark solo songs....to those I would include, over the years.....Golden Heart, Darling Pretty, Night in Summer, Sailing to Philadelphia, What it Is, The Last Laugh, Silvertown Blues, One More Matinee, Speedway, Old Pigweed, Devil Baby, Hillfarmer, Ragpicker, Koxville, Quality Shoe, Stand-Up Guy, Paraguay, Scaffolder, Secondary Waltz, Heart full of Holes.....that's the stuff I love - and I hope to add to that list with some stuff of the new album.

Nothing from Privateering or Tracker?    ???
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #251 on: November 05, 2018, 12:10:49 PM »

Let's not be silly now.  :smack
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

hunter

« Reply #252 on: November 05, 2018, 12:28:32 PM »
Interesting how polarizing this track is. I didn't expect that.

OfflineNick14

• Camerado
« Reply #253 on: November 05, 2018, 12:33:03 PM »
Sorry - I listed my favourite songs from Tracker, Privaterring and Get Lucky earlier in the thread so didn't repeat them......have a scroll back!

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #254 on: November 05, 2018, 12:36:59 PM »
Sorry - I listed my favourite songs from Tracker, Privaterring and Get Lucky earlier in the thread so didn't repeat them......have a scroll back!

Sorry, missed it!    :smack

Found it!     :thumbsup
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 12:42:17 PM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.049 seconds with 41 queries.