Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Interpretation of the Privateering songs  (Read 4868 times)

OfflineMarkKnopflerBelgium

• Guitar George
    • My Gallery, Password is "MarkKnopflerBelgium"
Interpretation of the Privateering songs
« on: September 06, 2012, 10:08:38 AM »
Am I looking over it, or has no-one yet begun to analyze the songs? I remember a thread on "Redbud Tree", but can't find another one...?
"It's volcanic desire, the unquenchable fire, it isn't a question of having a choice"

"The unthinkable ocean where brave men still die, wasn

Offlinestratmad

• Camerado
  • Fan (with a capital F) since 1985
Re: Interpretation of the Privateering songs
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 07:56:30 PM »
Am I looking over it, or has no-one yet begun to analyze the songs? I remember a thread on "Redbud Tree", but can't find another one...?

Well, you've just started one :-) Great idea - let's hope it'll be as inspiring as the one on the late and lamented (?) Red Forum.
Most of the songs _seem_ pretty straightforward - but maybe the tricky bits will start to show only after a while...

One song I can't make much sense of at the moment is the Submariner thing - where, what, why, who's dead and who's alive? And how can be "drowned" when he is "cast away on the water"?

Re "Seattle": MK said in some interview that he was watching a couple in a bar in Seattle who seemed to be having an argument or something. I wish he could give a few hints on some other songs too, like he did in GL.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Something from the past just comes and stares into your soul...

Offlineingridswing

• Founder
  • Rüdiger
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 08:00:48 PM »
Maybe a good idea to start different threads for the songs. Easy to find back, and not as messy than talking in one thread about all songs. So go ahead, I am looking forward to it as a non-native-english speaking person

Onlinekoobaa

• Camerado
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 08:41:02 PM »
This is a great thread, let's keep it going :)

Immediately when I heard Dream of the Drowned Submariner I was curious if MK was inspired by this tragic event: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_submarine_Kursk_explosion
I bet there were quite a few fathers down there... I love this song because it does seem like a dream. It is ethereal and gives and impression that anything can happen. He (the father) is trapped down there in the vault (damaged submarine) and he dreams about his little daughter who runs toward him "on the grass" and he catches her... But in the end it is only a dream because he is at the edge of life and death. They are drowned.

The choice of clarinet playing the main theme is so fitting to this song, so soothing. Electric guitar fills on the other hand add the dramatic feel which in the end takes over... Love it. 
...Well, he's a big star now but I've been a fan of his for years. The way he sings and plays guitar still bring me to tears...

OnlineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 08:45:50 PM »
This is a great thread, let's keep it going :)

Immediately when I heard Dream of the Drowned Submariner I was curious if MK was inspired by this tragic event: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_submarine_Kursk_explosion
I bet there were quite a few fathers down there... I love this song because it does seem like a dream. It is ethereal and gives and impression that anything can happen. He (the father) is trapped down there in the vault (damaged submarine) and he dreams about his little daughter who runs toward him "on the grass" and he catches her... But in the end it is only a dream because he is at the edge of life and death. They are drowned.

The choice of clarinet playing the main theme is so fitting to this song, so soothing. Electric guitar fills on the other hand add the dramatic feel which in the end takes over... Love it.

Really good thinking here, many thanks for that. I was thinking very simular but love the way you have incorporated the dying mans young daughter into it along with I think his wife too somehow?

Perhaps join this into the link here:
http://www.amarkintime.org/forum/index.php/topic,2632.0.html
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.029 seconds with 38 queries.