Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Haul away - interpretation?...  (Read 4061 times)

OfflineRAc

• Guitar George
Haul away - interpretation?...
« on: October 20, 2012, 09:51:13 PM »
Hi there,

sorry if this should be a dupe; if so, please let me know and I'll attach to the exisitng thread...

The lyrics to Haul Away are very Markish - open ended, ambiguous, interpretable. Is the protagonist a man (would have to be according to "I'm a living man and you're a cold one") or rather a woman ("my love's as fair as a girl can be")? Or could this possibly be a homosexual relationship? Is this really about a drowned sailor or simply a failed relationship (of whichever flavor) which attaches to the metaphor of sea life? After all, "living" and 2cold" don't necessarily have to mean "living" and "dead" in the medical sense; maybe one simply drifted off into loneliness and wouldn't accept the other's invitation to bring him/her back to the world of the actively living?

Any ideas?

Thanks!

OfflineGennT

• Camerado
  • Where them chilly winds don't blow...
Re: Haul away - interpretation?...
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2012, 10:39:48 PM »
Hi there,

sorry if this should be a dupe; if so, please let me know and I'll attach to the exisitng thread...

The lyrics to Haul Away are very Markish - open ended, ambiguous, interpretable. Is the protagonist a man (would have to be according to "I'm a living man and you're a cold one") or rather a woman ("my love's as fair as a girl can be")? Or could this possibly be a homospamual relationship? Is this really about a drowned sailor or simply a failed relationship (of whichever flavor) which attaches to the metaphor of sea life? After all, "living" and 2cold" don't necessarily have to mean "living" and "dead" in the medical sense; maybe one simply drifted off into loneliness and wouldn't accept the other's invitation to bring him/her back to the world of the actively living?

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Watch Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World movie. You'll understand where Mark got the inspiration for Haul Away and Privateering :)

OfflineRAc

• Guitar George
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2012, 06:37:10 PM »
well of course. Thanks for the pointer, now everything falls into place. For some reason it did not occur to me that the person addressed could be anyone but the partner of the narrator.

Just one more question: How did you know?

OfflineGennT

• Camerado
  • Where them chilly winds don't blow...
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2012, 06:46:15 PM »
well of course. Thanks for the pointer, now everything falls into place. For some reason it did not occur to me that the person addressed could be anyone but the partner of the narrator.

Just one more question: How did you know?

Well this song has been discussed many times before, Mark started playing it live last year during Bob's Europe Tour, so it's not a new thing. Also in the Privateering EPK Mark mentions the Patrick O'Brien novels and also this specific story from which he was inspired. The movie is really awesome too!

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.023 seconds with 38 queries.