Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Where to buy the MK Strat?  (Read 28596 times)

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
Re: Where to buy the MK Strat?
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2013, 08:21:32 PM »
Well thanks indeed to LE, Superval & Knopflerized - you guys know how much my MK's mean to me. Im angry that a few have taken acception to my owning of three of then and I actually think now 'MYOB'!!!
And actually thinking more about the 'three the same' argument - well they look the same - granted but due to differences in age and also wood they all sound different un their own way. Anyway I love them to bits and my late father was ever so pleased I bought them as he knew how much an influence MK is on my life. I hope that your own wish should it be for an MK strat be fulfilled.

I will not let a 'minority' ruin my owning of three of MKs finest or even my happy memories of meeting MK some three weeks ago!!!
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 08:27:27 PM by Knopflerfan »
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2013, 08:35:03 PM »
By the way JF, the guitar WAS made to MKs spec - I have the original article with the 'pioneer' MK strat well before Mark put his signature on it..... Dont you think that I bought my three guitars as investments too?? Boy they will be worth something in years to come more than a made up special....
And I can enjoy them too!! Wooohoooo!!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2013, 08:47:13 PM »
Do you know this is the first time I have ever encountered any ill feeling on here and it is all centering on basically jealousy. Im afraid Im not like that. I was brought up by a lovely mother and father - both sadly passed (Im only 38!) now if I learnt that someone had got 3 of something I would be pleased for them, I would not even dare ask why because its NOT my business! Now I am offended to think some so called MK fan has the audacity to question my owning of three MK strats!! By the way Mark himself on knowing that I own three didnt ask me Why??? Rant over and onwards and upwards with other more interesting chat!! I am not happy guys...

Love Expresso

« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2013, 09:36:52 PM »
  By the way Mark himself on knowing that I own three didnt ask me Why??? 

In many ways this is the coolest sentence I have read here in a long time!  :thumbsup

LE

Love Expresso

« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2013, 09:49:22 PM »
Just put my "A Life in Songs" DVD in - so recreative and really calming to hear Mark speaking and immerse into the story of the life of this great living artist. Especially on a rainy quiet Saturday night... have no problems to let this DVD run two times in a row...  ;)

LE

Offline3Strats

• Camerado
  • 3 Strats . . and a number of others
    • dtvaviation images.co.uk
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2013, 10:17:15 PM »
Do you know this is the first time I have ever encountered any ill feeling on here and it is all centering on basically jealousy. Im afraid Im not like that. I was brought up by a lovely mother and father - both sadly passed (Im only 38!) now if I learnt that someone had got 3 of something I would be pleased for them, I would not even dare ask why because its NOT my business! Now I am offended to think some so called MK fan has the audacity to question my owning of three MK strats!! By the way Mark himself on knowing that I own three didnt ask me Why??? Rant over and onwards and upwards with other more interesting chat!! I am not happy guys...

Good for you !  I've only got one MK strat, but I have a custom built copy of Mark's MK1 Pensa Suhr, plus 2 other "standard" Fender strats that are "copies" of Marks guitars. (plus others). If you want 3 (or more) as a fan, or just as an investment, it's nothing to do with anyone else.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 10:23:47 PM by 3Strats »
When you point your finger 'cause your plan fell through you've got 3 more fingers pointing back at you.
MK tour photos & my music page can be found at: http://dtvaviationimages.co.uk

DTRW Tour: Newcastle.  Block A, Row E,
seats 21 & 22

OfflineJarle

• Lady writer
« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2013, 11:58:52 PM »
I fully agree, Knopflerfan! I actually know people who collects stamps and napkins, but no one questions that :P As i mentioned earlier, I think the MK Strat is the ultimate Knopfler collectors item, and if I had the space and money to own all of them, well, then why not :) Mark has played it a lot on stage, it is set up after his specs, it got the right color and it got his signature. Did I mention that it sounds stunning too? In my ears, anyway... I think it is one of the most beauiful guitars out there, I when I get one it will surely hang on the wall in my living room (when not played) :)
It's the end of a perfect day..,.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2013, 10:29:50 AM »
If we are following the "find your own sound and don't play a guitar with somebody else's name on it" argument through to its logical conclusion, MK will need to get rid of His Les Pauls. He also owns more than one of these red signature models, 58,59,reissue etc.

If you are reading Mark, I'll give them a good home.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2013, 12:31:45 PM »
If we are following the "find your own sound and don't play a guitar with somebody else's name on it" argument through to its logical conclusion, MK will need to get rid of His Les Pauls. He also owns more than one of these red signature models, 58,59,reissue etc.

If you are reading Mark, I'll give them a good home.

Ah, but that would not be the dustyvalentino sound then, would it? ;D
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2013, 03:40:59 PM »
I am amazed about how wildly some people interpretate others words... Nothing to say, very afraid about more wild overreactions  :o
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #40 on: October 21, 2013, 02:03:33 PM »
Ouch !!!!  :o :o :o

100% agree with Jbaent. I don't understand what was said that could be understood as offensive, insulting, agressive ?

Sorry Knopflerfan if you felt offended by my posts, but I was just giving MY point of view.

I am not jealous of anyone
I am not jealous of anything

Am I allowed to say that TO ME a fender MK sig model is not the holy grail ? that its not the ultimate collector item FOR ME ?
That I would prefer to have an old strat rather than a sig model ?

I thought that adding the IMHO acronym in a post was enough to precise that a post was "in MY opinion"
and adding "just my 2 cents" was confirming this meaning, I believe

If I can't express my opinion without being suspected to offend someone, I don't really understand the interest of a forum.

I hope it doesn't have any relation with the fact I missed your post about the bridport event, but I responded to you and explained that it was moved in "spam" folder by gmail, and that I realised this just a week later or so.

Now, speaking about the guitar, yes you are right, I know that the sig model was build according to Mark's specs, but it was his specs in 2002-2003, and what disapointed me is that he didn't try to find his early sound again. I far prefer his tone from 77-79 than his tone from the last decade, but of course it's a matter of taste, and it's my taste. So I believe that with the sig model you can approach his tone from late years, but hardly his tone from early years, like Ingo with his self-made strat.

@ Dusty, I think you can't compare a LP build in 58 or 59 (like the ones Mark plays) with a sig model build in series nowadays.
Yes Marks is playing a Les Paul, but a vintage Les Paul, not a Gary Moore, or Peter green or whatever sig model.

Must I add that its' JUST MY OPINION ::)

Sorry again if I offended anyone, if I felt jealous, arrogant, or whatever, that was of course not my intention.

But the strange thing is I don't see clearly what I must apologise ... ??? :hmm

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #41 on: October 21, 2013, 09:22:57 PM »
You seem to be missing my point... EVERY Les Paul is a "signature model", but MK did his own thing with it.

Same with the Gibson Chet Atkins he played in the 80s, he didn't play Chet Atkins style.

My point is, it's perfectly possible to find your own sound with a guitar built to someone else's specs. MK did it. Maybe knopflerfan is doing it to. Who is to say that he is sitting round copying MK?
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2013, 09:56:02 AM »

Ah yes Dusty I see your point   :wave

EVERY Les Paul is a "signature model"

I admit I never saw things under this angle (sorry not sure about the english expression), but you are right, we can say that a Les Paul is a Les Paul's signature guitar.

But, I'd say that the Les Paul has become a "common" guitar in music industry and in rock history.

Of course the model has been build with les Paul's specs, but over the years it has been "transcended" by differents guitarists and different styles in order to become an iconic guitar in rock history, while in the main time it ditched the Les Paul's bequeaths.

I think that when you see or hear a Les Paul in many rock-blues-hard styles, you don't think at first ": ah yes it's the guitar "invented" by Les Paul"

the difference with a (recent) "signature" model, is that it immediately make you think to the guitarist after the guitar is named

I am not sure that Clapton or Gilmour fans would buy a malmsteen strat signature....I would find this a little bit strange, don't you think ? Even if theorotically, it could fit
Of course you can play any music style on malmsteen or beck or SRV signature.
But if you see a guitarist with an artist's signature, there is a high probability that his style is "near" the artist's style

While a Les Paul guitar player isn't automatically associated with les Paul's style, because this guitar has "over crossed" or "exceeded" the reference to Les Paul, I believe.

Sorry for my poor english....hope you get what I mean

oh, and how would you name a clapton-harrison, or a Allman, or a slash LP signature model ? a "signature's signature" model ?  ;)

you are totally right about the CA model

and my post wasn't intended to talk about Knopfler Fan's style, I just wanted to talk about technical specs giving the tone (wood, PU, etc...)   :)

Offlineingridswing

• Founder
  • Rüdiger
« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2013, 01:56:03 PM »
Knopflerfan, I think you said it well . I know what those 3 mean to you. They are your babies.
People pay respect to someone else. And about your own tune. Most people buy a guitar that suits them, and don't build one themselves. So by saying people have to do so instead of buying a guitar (signature or not) is a disqualification of a lot of people including famous artists. And I agree with Knopflerfan: it looks like jealous reactions.
If you don't understand when people do something, try to understand, don't qualify. How often do you think people ask me why so often to the same concert? Instead of trying to explain I say nowadays: do you throw away a CD after listening once?

OfflineJustme

• Romeo
  • Kilnockie Supporters Club
« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2013, 04:41:20 PM »
As you were talking about Les Paul. As far as I know Leo Fender never played the guitar.
And she's sitting in her Lusso, in the early morning sun.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.046 seconds with 39 queries.