Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Guy's Forum  (Read 600640 times)

OfflineHoops McCann

• Dan
  • Founder
Re: Guy's Forum
« Reply #45 on: September 23, 2008, 03:09:16 PM »
surprise...surprise...I wonder how many albums he has left in his contract?
"...I was prompted to check out some of the threads you have going which are often unintentionally funny, wildly speculative and sometimes just plain deluded..." - Ed Bicknell

https://soundcloud.com/sunday_driver

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #46 on: September 23, 2008, 03:46:07 PM »
Ha, that's a very cynical view Dan!

If he was just wanting to fulfil his contract a la Prince he could just release an album of out-takes.

My guess is he realises he is getting older (look at Richard Wright, RIP  :( ) and he wants to accomplish as much as he can.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineIan Lewis

• Camerado
    • Ian Lewis Photography
« Reply #47 on: September 23, 2008, 05:15:03 PM »
This is fantastic news :D

...I still yearn for a nice live CD/DVD though :(

OfflineHoops McCann

• Dan
  • Founder
« Reply #48 on: September 23, 2008, 07:10:28 PM »
Ha, that's a very cynical view Dan!

If he was just wanting to fulfil his contract a la Prince he could just release an album of out-takes.

My guess is he realises he is getting older (look at Richard Wright, RIP  :( ) and he wants to accomplish as much as he can.

You're right, it is cynical. But does MK really just phone up the management or record label and claim he wants to write / record / produce / release a new album tomorrow? I don't know of course, but it seems unlikely. It can't be 100% his decision. I think he has a certain number of albums in his contract and that's it. He sure has a lot of power over the business though, if I'm wrong.
"...I was prompted to check out some of the threads you have going which are often unintentionally funny, wildly speculative and sometimes just plain deluded..." - Ed Bicknell

Offlineknopfling

• Camerado
  • SALT LAKE CITY June 25, 2008
« Reply #49 on: September 23, 2008, 07:23:30 PM »
I'm guessing MK is just feeling creative and inspired now.

Guy said in some forum entries during the last tour that MK was already formulating some new material.

Perhaps the satisfying nature of the K2GC tour -- Guy indicated most of them felt it was their best yet -- just gave MK the urge to keep that feeling going.

Whatever the reason, I think it's great news.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 07:36:53 PM by knopfling »
My 2008 Red Rocks/Salt Lake/Hard Rock pix
http://s319.photobucket.com/albums/mm469/knopfling/?start=0

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #50 on: September 23, 2008, 09:17:25 PM »
You're right, it is cynical. But does MK really just phone up the management or record label and claim he wants to write / record / produce / release a new album tomorrow? I don't know of course, but it seems unlikely. It can't be 100% his decision. I think he has a certain number of albums in his contract and that's it. He sure has a lot of power over the business though, if I'm wrong.

I think it probably is up to him when he releases the albums. Lets face facts, he took as long as he wanted (six years!) to release a follow up to one of the biggest selling albums ever, so I don't think he'll have any record company issues now he is a solo artist and selling a fraction of the same amount of albums. I think it's 100% his decision, and just based on creative reasons.

Offlinejacki

• Camerado
  • once upon a time in the West
« Reply #51 on: September 23, 2008, 09:33:45 PM »
I think knopfling is right. I think MK is just super pumped right now and feeling really good about where he is creatively. I certainly get spurts of energy where I crank out a whole bunch of writing, so I'm betting the positive spirit of the KTGC tour so zinged him that he could hardly wait to get back in the studio. More power to him, I say!!

Offlinepierrickmark

• Guitar George
« Reply #52 on: September 24, 2008, 01:50:06 AM »
Simply, I think Mark is a happy man and the positive energy brought by his life (music, family, charities, etc...) is transformed in a amazing energy at the service or music. His music!

OfflineIan Lewis

• Camerado
    • Ian Lewis Photography
« Reply #53 on: September 24, 2008, 01:41:36 PM »

I thought MK built his own studio to have more flexibility and control?  Maybe I am wrong.  Although looking back at Sailing to Philadelphia wasn't there a time MK got quite disheartened because the record company demanded some things were changed?  Maybe these were just rumours at the time.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #54 on: September 24, 2008, 02:22:17 PM »
I guess the studio gives him the freedom to RECORD what he wants, but he is still dependant on the record companies releasing it.

I can't remember with STP, it was probably the record company's idea to release three versions or whatever it was, and MK probably got pissed off about that.

OfflineHoops McCann

• Dan
  • Founder
« Reply #55 on: September 24, 2008, 06:56:28 PM »
I guess the studio gives him the freedom to RECORD what he wants, but he is still dependant on the record companies releasing it.

Yeah, I can't imagine it working any other way. If the album is going to be released commercially by Mercury, MK's current record label, there has to be some sort of contract.

Offlinegbobmi

• Camerado
« Reply #56 on: September 24, 2008, 09:31:48 PM »
Okaaayyy, I'll come clean. I called MK and said "how about a new album?"  He said "Sure, gbob; anything for you!" ;D

And the rest shall be history...... 8)
arse ;D

OfflineFieneke2

• Romeo
« Reply #57 on: September 24, 2008, 09:35:30 PM »
After typing my message I saw yours Mrs. gbob and yeahhh.........sure I believe you!  ;D

This is great news! I also think Mark has a lot of energy and although he calls himself lazy now and then, I don't think he can live without writing, singing, playing and recording music in his beautiful studio!

Hey psssstttt ........wouldn't it be great if we get an album with songs like Long Highway, Claim To Fame, Lily Of the West, Camerado and so many songs we love also?

Call me a crazy person ............(well some of you already do, without reading my next words ;D) ....but I have the feeling next year when Mark will be 60, there might be a special event! New album, new Tour OR a big garden birthday party with Mark playing with friends (artists).

Of course fans need to be there too! ..........Uuuhhhh did I say garden party?  ::) With all the fans he better hire a big Island then! ;D

I better start saving money and be prepaired in case we have the change to be at a performance!   ;)

Fieneke

« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 09:37:49 PM by Fieneke2 »
If you are good to other people, most of them are good to you too!

Offlinensking

• Guitar George
« Reply #58 on: September 24, 2008, 11:31:28 PM »
Thanks, Gayle, for helping Mark get motivated to create this new album. It's a relief to know we can count on you in dire situations. :)  (If I knew how to use the damn emoticons, I'd put a big grin after that.)  Now, could somebody propose a theoretical timeline here?  The album takes six months to a year, then release, then tour?  How exactly would that work and bottom line: when will we have another tour?   

Offlinensking

• Guitar George
« Reply #59 on: September 24, 2008, 11:32:53 PM »
Whoa...I guess those emoticans worked.  I don't know how I did that!

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.039 seconds with 34 queries.