Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: TOP FIVE!!!  (Read 42612 times)

Offlineborder_reiver

• Founder
  • Romeo
  • "I've been down in Louisiana playing on his album"
Re: TOP FIVE!!!
« Reply #75 on: November 22, 2018, 06:06:41 PM »
do (totally) not like:
1.when you leave - plain boring. no decent guitar. pretty sure it will be played live though
2.slow learner - same as the above.
3. every heart...do not totally dislike it, but does not "buzz" me.

i love all the rest.

Exactly my thoughts too!

WYL will be played live and I'll have my very first pee break ever during a concert.
"My idea of heaven is a place where the Tyne meets the Delta, where folk music meets the blues."

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #76 on: November 22, 2018, 06:07:53 PM »
do (totally) not like:
1.when you leave - plain boring. no decent guitar. pretty sure it will be played live though

i love all the rest.

Exactly my thoughts too!

WYL will be played live and I'll have my very first pee break ever during a concert.
Lol

sent from my Samsung Galaxy 9+ via tapatalk

any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #77 on: November 22, 2018, 06:08:13 PM »
do (totally) not like:

i love all the rest.
I love When you leave ! Reminiscent of "A place we used to leave" from TRD- do you find it boring to ?
Anyay, since you once told me that Sumariner was just an upgraded version of the Fish and the Bird...:)
I love a place we used to live. But it has decent guitar in it

OfflineIan Lewis

• Camerado
    • Ian Lewis Photography
« Reply #78 on: November 22, 2018, 06:59:33 PM »
do (totally) not like:

i love all the rest.
I love When you leave ! Reminiscent of "A place we used to leave" from TRD- do you find it boring to ?
Anyay, since you once told me that Sumariner was just an upgraded version of the Fish and the Bird...:)

WYL didn’t strike me at first but with more plays it has grown on me.  I find it creates a very sorrowful atmosphere.

www.ianlewisphoto.co.uk

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #79 on: November 22, 2018, 08:21:36 PM »
do (totally) not like:

i love all the rest.

WYL didn’t strike me at first but with more plays it has grown on me.  I find it creates a very sorrowful atmosphere.

www.ianlewisphoto.co.uk
Mr Lewis sir, how nice to see you are still alive

OfflineIan Lewis

• Camerado
    • Ian Lewis Photography
« Reply #80 on: November 22, 2018, 09:44:45 PM »
do (totally) not like:

i love all the rest.

www.ianlewisphoto.co.uk

Thanks.  Married and 2 kids now!   A lot has changed.  But one thing that hasn’t changed.....   love of Mark’s music

www.ianlewisphoto.co.uk

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #81 on: November 22, 2018, 09:48:04 PM »
do (totally) not like:

i love all the rest.

www.ianlewisphoto.co.uk

Thanks.  Married and 2 kids now!   A lot has changed.  But one thing that hasn’t changed.....   love of Mark’s music

www.ianlewisphoto.co.uk
Congrats!

OfflineEl Macho

• Lady writer
« Reply #82 on: November 22, 2018, 11:10:49 PM »
My Top 5 may vary but the ones I prefer by now :
1. My Bacon Roll : beautiful melody, beautiful guitar solo and the end reminds me Why Worry (in shorter) and could be like Hill Farmer Blues or Kingdom Of Gold when played live
2. Nobody's Child : beautiful singing by Mark and delicate guitar solo. Simply marvelous
3. One Song At A Time : great melody, it should replace Marbletown in an extended version during the future tour
4. Nobody Does That : Impressive how Mark becomes a jazzman. I always imagine a live version of the song. The live potential is important for me. I don't see Mark playing Slow Learner in big venues like the 02 or Bercy. But Nobody Does That, yes, it would be great !
5. Good On You Son : Funky song , percussions, sax... everything is OK to be a great song in concert !
They got a name for people like you, yeh they do
And they got a name for people like me too
El Macho, El Macho

OfflineThe Privateer

• Guitar George
  • "You watch me and I'll watch thee, I can still work for two men and drink for three"
« Reply #83 on: November 23, 2018, 05:10:30 AM »
As for today:

1. Rear View Mirror
2. Floating Away
3. Nobody Does That
4. When You Leave
5. Just A Boy Away From Home

not a lot of changes though...
"This is my investigation - It's not a public inquiry"

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #84 on: November 23, 2018, 09:25:48 AM »
do (totally) not like:

i love all the rest.

www.ianlewisphoto.co.uk
My thoughts exactly on WYL. Does not matter to me whether you have guitar or not, it would have bothered me of course if there was no guitar on the album, but you get plenty of guitar on other songs, so this one is a good addition.
I'm very pleased with the album, to see our man is still able to invent new valuable music turning 70... OSAAT is a real masterpiece. Besides that I think I love every song, except:
-Trapper Man. I know you guys love it, but it does nothing on me. Just like Darling Pretty...
-JABAFH: Can't bring myself to love this slide guitar, always hated Donegan...
-Nobody does that: just too much "Captain Future" sound effects !
-Every Heart in the Room: too cheesy for my taste, same as Wherever I go
-Rear View Mirror: short and so so...

I love every single other song, even Heavy Up (very fresh). WYL,  Floating Away, and Slow Learner are slow, but very good, it is nice to have slow songs in the middle. I came to like GOYS and BOTDF a lotw after initial reluctance. My Bacon roll is just brillant.
Agree with others that Don't suck me in is brillant too and should have been included in the main album. Can't take all this "bonus songs" childishness anyway, there just should be one big set for all editions, period.

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #85 on: November 23, 2018, 09:34:04 AM »
do (totally) not like:

i love all the rest.

www.ianlewisphoto.co.uk
My thoughts exactly on WYL. Does not matter to me whether you have guitar or not, it would have bothered me of course if there was no guitar on the album, but you get plenty of guitar on other songs, so this one is a good addition.
I'm very pleased with the album, to see our man is still able to invent new valuable music turning 70... OSAAT is a real masterpiece. Besides that I think I love every song, except:
-Trapper Man. I know you guys love it, but it does nothing on me. Just like Darling Pretty...
-JABAFH: Can't bring myself to love this slide guitar, always hated Donegan...
-Nobody does that: just too much "Captain Future" sound effects !
-Every Heart in the Room: too cheesy for my taste, same as Wherever I go
-Rear View Mirror: short and so so...

I love every single other song, even Heavy Up (very fresh). WYL,  Floating Away, and Slow Learner are slow, but very good, it is nice to have slow songs in the middle. I came to like GOYS and BOTDF a lotw after initial reluctance. My Bacon roll is just brillant.
Agree with others that Don't suck me in is brillant too and should have been included in the main album. Can't take all this "bonus songs" childishness anyway, there just should be one big set for all editions, period.
Fully agree with last sentence

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #86 on: November 23, 2018, 09:41:08 AM »

Fully agree with last sentence

These bonus tracks can't make anyone buy different editions. If anything, it only pushes people to get all the songs "the other way" and you know what it is.

But according to almighty Guy it's Mark who decides all the bonus tracks. And I think it's a good chance for him to throw out songs like Hear Of Oak, which is only 1.5 minutes long, to later resurrect it on the main album with Matchstick Man. Or to do the same with recycling Terminal Of Tribute and revamping it into Back On The Dance Floor. And nobody can blame him for doing that, because it was a bonus track anyway, only die-hards know about it! :lol

Love Expresso

« Reply #87 on: November 23, 2018, 10:54:04 AM »
According to the FAZ interview that Skydiver provided this morning, Mark let these things completely decide the Company as it's Business and he doesn't care about business as it has nothing to do with music. He described it as being concerned about having recorded too many songs and they say No it's ok we can use them for deluxe content.

I remember him telling in 2004 or 2007 already that he doesn't remind if the track was on the album or not.
It seems he has other priorities than us.

LE

OnlineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #88 on: November 23, 2018, 11:06:14 AM »
According to the FAZ interview that Skydiver provided this morning, Mark let these things completely decide the Company as it's Business and he doesn't care about business as it has nothing to do with music. He described it as being concerned about having recorded too many songs and they say No it's ok we can use them for deluxe content.

I remember him telling in 2004 or 2007 already that he doesn't remind if the track was on the album or not.

LE

I find this very strange
how an artist can't be bothered by which songs are on his regular album or not ?

I mean it's not just a bucnh of songs, and then let the company do what they want ...

you produce an album, you should be concerned by all what is coming aorund it : the packaging, the songs order, the number of songs, etc...

Onlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #89 on: November 23, 2018, 12:01:33 PM »

LE

I recall when Shangri-La came out they were very surprised "Summer Of Love" wasn't in the record, so it can be true.

Someone near MK told me once that MK just delivered the tracks to the record company and the record company decides which tracks are included and what tracks not. It sounded strange to me but, who knows...
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.089 seconds with 37 queries.