Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: 3 Chord Trick (Legacy)  (Read 89402 times)

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
Re: 3 Chord Trick (Legacy)
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2017, 01:37:55 PM »
Exactly. And Manu Katche what did he say?
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlinevancip

• Local Hero
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2017, 01:53:28 PM »
if I remember correctly while promoting a new album (loup garou, maybe) he was asked for a comment about Miracle record and he was unhappy about the way Mark produced it (no soul, too cold and perfectly crafted). He also gossips about  Mark and Lourdes marriage going bad at that time, giving to understand he could have something to do about it...

OfflineMasiakasaurus

• Camerado
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2017, 02:38:23 PM »
Come to think of it, A place where we used to live could mean something to him personally, even if it maybe feels a bit like a general description of a broken relationship. But that could probably be said to almost all of his songs, except for purely historical songs like Sailing to Philadelphia and so on?

I always thought that "A place where we used to live" was about his childhood, when he says "there used to be a little school", and I think (not 100% sure) he says something like that in the EPK ?  :think
Interesting, it's been a long time since I saw the EPK for that album, I'll have to check it out again!

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2017, 05:37:01 PM »
That's true. The traces of childhood. The first school of Mark that disappeared, etc.
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2017, 08:31:06 PM »
if I remember correctly while promoting a new album (loup garou, maybe) he was asked for a comment about Miracle record and he was unhappy about the way Mark produced it (no soul, too cold and perfectly crafted). He also gossips about  Mark and Lourdes marriage going bad at that time, giving to understand he could have something to do about it...

yes . I can't find it now, but I remember an interview where Willy had bad words about Mark, it could this one. He was indeed unhappy about the way Miracle was produced, but I think he said that he was also unhappy aout Mark's behaviour, you know that kind of "dictatorial" behaviour, the same David talked about : in other words, when Mark says or want something, you can't say anything. It can be understood when it concerns Mark's songs, but here it was about Willy's album

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2017, 08:38:04 PM »
Exactly. And Manu Katche what did he say?

we discussed this before, but unfortunately, the main content (including my translation) disapeared :
https://www.amarkintime.org/forum/index.php?topic=3465.0

the video is this one :

he talks about OES sessions in his book and has bad words about Mark's behaviour, always in the same vein
I have no time yet, if a french forumer can translate for our friends  :wave

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2017, 08:27:19 AM »
he talks about OES sessions in his book and has bad words about Mark's behaviour, always in the same vein

Yeah, from the things even general public know for sure Mark at the time had troubles with his family, with his money, with his marriage, tour, fame, etc. How strange he was in a bad mood. How dare he! People are strange.

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2017, 09:29:36 AM »

I recall an article saying that things... Do you have any link for it?
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2017, 09:32:13 AM »

Yeah, from the things even general public know for sure Mark at the time had troubles with his family, with his money, with his marriage, tour, fame, etc. How strange he was in a bad mood. How dare he! People are strange.

People who suffered his bad mood didn't know about mk problems and they didn't deserve to be bad treated. If you're a professional you have to be able to separate your private life from your professional life
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2017, 10:37:23 AM »
I think there are two separate things :
1) Mark had "troubles "in his private life, both in 90-91 and in late 79-early80 with his brope up with Holly, so of course he was in bad mood, and likely it influenced his behaviour.
2) Mark wants to lead and control all things, but it's not a critic, it's just that his songs are his babies and he wants to play/produce/record them the way HE wants, and nobody else, so he tends to have this "dictatorial" behaviour that is described in the Oldfield book, and of course, it can be hard for other people which are working with him, and it doesn't depend if he is in bad mood or not, that's all.
Of course, if he is in bad mood too, it could be harder !
People like John and Guy accept this (JOhn says it in the oldfield book), others don't.
imho, both choices can be understood : some musicians accept to be hired musicians and play what you're saiing to them what to play, others can't accept that.
It only depends if you want to be a "follower" or a "leader"
I think that if you want to play with Mark, you have to be a "follower" and keep you own ideas for yourself, that's all
It's not bad, it's not a crtic, it's just the way it works with him, like many others in music industry

few bands have a "democratic" way to work, i.e, all band members can express their ideas
first that comes to mind is Queen : although some leadership by Mercury, I think that all members had the opportunity to compose songs
Genesis, Yes, Floyd at some times, tended to be "bands", but always came a time when a member wanted to take the leadership
Ego is often the main problem in a band

For MK/DS, there wasn't "problem" at all. All things were "clear" at the start. John says it in the oldfield book : the "band" was just a vehicle for Mark's songs
I f you agree, fine, if you don't, leave the band. That's all

So all that is said about Mark during years by other musicians who played with him is not surprising at all. From the beginning,it was that way

Offlinedannr1

• Camerado
« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2017, 10:52:31 AM »
I think there are two separate things :
1) Mark had "troubles "in his private life, both in 90-91 and in late 79-early80 with his brope up with Holly, so of course he was in bad mood, and likely it influenced his behaviour.
2) Mark wants to lead and control all things, but it's not a critic, it's just that his songs are his babies and he wants to play/produce/record them the way HE wants, and nobody else, so he tends to have this "dictatorial" behaviour that is described in the Oldfield book, and of course, it can be hard for other people which are working with him, and it doesn't depend if he is in bad mood or not, that's all.
Of course, if he is in bad mood too, it could be harder !
People like John and Guy accept this (JOhn says it in the oldfield book), others don't.
imho, both choices can be understood : some musicians accept to be hired musicians and play what you're saiing to them what to play, others can't accept that.
It only depends if you want to be a "follower" or a "leader"
I think that if you want to play with Mark, you have to be a "follower" and keep you own ideas for yourself, that's all
It's not bad, it's not a crtic, it's just the way it works with him, like many others in music industry

few bands have a "democratic" way to work, i.e, all band members can express their ideas
first that comes to mind is Queen : although some leadership by Mercury, I think that all members had the opportunity to compose songs
Genesis, Yes, Floyd at some times, tended to be "bands", but always came a time when a member wanted to take the leadership
Ego is often the main problem in a band

For MK/DS, there wasn't "problem" at all. All things were "clear" at the start. John says it in the oldfield book : the "band" was just a vehicle for Mark's songs

So all that is said about Mark during years by other musicians who played with him is not surprising at all. From the beginning,it was that way

Very true..

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2017, 01:11:36 PM »

May I disagree, things were not that clear.
David wrote for Dire Straits and Dire straits performed some of his songs.
He even got one recorded on the Pathway demo.
But the circumstances led to the "there is no place for your songs here boy" sort of situation and probably fuelled Dave's frustration.
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2017, 03:42:51 PM »

May I disagree, things were not that clear.
David wrote for Dire Straits and Dire straits performed some of his songs.
He even got one recorded on the Pathway demo.
But the circumstances led to the "there is no place for your songs here boy" sort of situation and probably fuelled Dave's frustration.

Yes indeed, but then they decided to not include any David's song o,n officiazl release, since the very firts album, I find that it was almost "clear" at the time
If Sacred loving wasn't re-recorded in march-april 78, I think it was an obvious clue for what was goin on...
of course Bernadette was still played in autumn 79, but at that time 2 albums had been released without any of his songs, so if he did'nt want to understand...I find that he was blind

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2017, 05:36:37 PM »
They are all good... in an artistic, intellectual, lyrical way... do they touch ME emotionally? No. That was what I was trying to say. Always hidden, always ambivalent, always several meanings, true inspiration always disguised... apart from LAJADAS and Basil maybe.. and Darling Pretty.

From Sultans on, he prefers the journalistic distance and the role of an absent observer. Nothing wrong with that! Love how excellent he does it, not many are able to do so. But in a very British way maybe, he often seems cold to me. No offence in it, just my opinion.

Until today I have no idea what  many songs REALLY  try to tell me... from It Never Rains to So Far From The Clyde or In The Sky or Dream Of the Drowned Submariner to Blood and Water to... to... to...

A little more direct approach, less artistic one would be less frustrating for me in getting the meaning of many of his work...

Listened to These Are The Days Of Our Lives from Queen the other day. And complete Tempest from Bob.  To illustrate what I mean.

(Oh and I never called him an asshole.)

LE
For me the text of a song almost always comes at me last, it is the general feel that gets me, and the songs mentioned above, did I mention long highway , do exactly that. Then at a later stage I discover what (I think) the text is about, sometimes even years later. Or I don't, and that does not bother me. To me music comes first, then lyrics. Hence my preference for Gilmour rather then waters

sent from my Samsung galaxy 7edge via tapatalk

any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2017, 05:38:23 PM »
I've spent two days with this album and I went in wanting to hate it. Sorry folks, its a brilliant album. Magdalene alone was worth the £13 of my money. Still dont agree with them trying to tour as Dire Straits, and I dont like Marcos voice. Its full of beautiful arrangements and melody.

I like how this song starts with a Telegraph Road quote right away like the piano solo section. No doubts Alan is a talented guy. No hating was meant to be made, it's just the whole situation dictates the hating... I wish they'd release this album before all this tribute thing and we wouldn't get this awful Terminal Of Tribute To song (sorry Mark) and all this hate towards a good (?) album.
Awful tribute? Disregarding the topic (which I love) this is a brilliant song

sent from my Samsung galaxy 7edge via tapatalk

any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.046 seconds with 35 queries.