Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: 3 Chord Trick (Legacy)  (Read 89410 times)

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
Re: 3 Chord Trick (Legacy)
« Reply #45 on: December 19, 2017, 05:41:11 PM »
Mark is more secretive and rather avoids fans. But that does not mean it has to be difficult. If you did not meet him then where can you know what is? Is not available but I just like it :) Everyone is different :)

ps. sorry for my english

I understand what you mean. I don't know MK but I know people who know him and had worked with him and all agree that he's not an easy person. It doesn't mean he's a bad person at all, just that is not easy

As long as I'm a fan I rather avoid having any bad experience trying to spend a while with him that is totally unnecessary for me as a fan.

I don't know if I explain what I mean with accuracy. It's difficult to do such a thing in a language that it's not my mother tongue...
No one gets to that level by being easy and being Mr. Nice guy to everyone. It is some sort of self protection. As you said, no one said he actually is an ass wipe.

sent from my Samsung galaxy 7edge via tapatalk

any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #46 on: December 19, 2017, 05:42:55 PM »
Guy Fletcher has been working with MK for so many years. And so many guests on his CDs. Has anyone mentioned badly about cooperation with MK?

firsts that came to mind :
Willy Deville
Manu Katché
One was a notorious druggie. Just saying. And those are only two out of a  long career

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #47 on: December 19, 2017, 05:44:51 PM »
if I remember correctly while promoting a new album (loup garou, maybe) he was asked for a comment about Miracle record and he was unhappy about the way Mark produced it (no soul, too cold and perfectly crafted). He also gossips about  Mark and Lourdes marriage going bad at that time, giving to understand he could have something to do about it...
Not really "negative" about him as a person right ?

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #48 on: December 19, 2017, 05:45:42 PM »
if I remember correctly while promoting a new album (loup garou, maybe) he was asked for a comment about Miracle record and he was unhappy about the way Mark produced it (no soul, too cold and perfectly crafted). He also gossips about  Mark and Lourdes marriage going bad at that time, giving to understand he could have something to do about it...

yes . I can't find it now, but I remember an interview where Willy had bad words about Mark, it could this one. He was indeed unhappy about the way Miracle was produced, but I think he said that he was also unhappy aout Mark's behaviour, you know that kind of "dictatorial" behaviour, the same David talked about : in other words, when Mark says or want something, you can't say anything. It can be understood when it concerns Mark's songs, but here it was about Willy's album
Was he not the producer? That is what a producer does

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #49 on: December 19, 2017, 05:46:35 PM »
he talks about OES sessions in his book and has bad words about Mark's behaviour, always in the same vein
I have no time yet, if a french forumer can translate for our friends  :wave

Yeah, from the things even general public know for sure Mark at the time had troubles with his family, with his money, with his marriage, tour, fame, etc. How strange he was in a bad mood. How dare he! People are strange.

People who suffered his bad mood didn't know about mk problems and they didn't deserve to be bad treated. If you're a professional you have to be able to separate your private life from your professional life
We are all just human

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #50 on: December 19, 2017, 05:52:58 PM »
Exactly
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinevancip

• Local Hero
« Reply #51 on: December 19, 2017, 08:04:43 PM »
I recall an article saying that things... Do you have any link for it?

it was early 90s, probably from Buscadero magazine but i don't think there's an archive on line..

Offlinevancip

• Local Hero
« Reply #52 on: December 19, 2017, 08:14:36 PM »
Not really "negative" about him as a person right ?

I thought that Willy at that time was promoting himself as "pure and genuine musician" and Mark was perfect as "music biz man example" he didn't want to be compared to..

OfflineRail King

• Lady writer
« Reply #53 on: December 20, 2017, 09:38:14 AM »

yes . I can't find it now, but I remember an interview where Willy had bad words about Mark, it could this one. He was indeed unhappy about the way Miracle was produced, but I think he said that he was also unhappy aout Mark's behaviour, you know that kind of "dictatorial" behaviour, the same David talked about : in other words, when Mark says or want something, you can't say anything. It can be understood when it concerns Mark's songs, but here it was about Willy's album
Was he not the producer? That is what a producer does

Yeah, right. I also don't like the sound of most mid-and-late-80's albums, but "Miracle" came after "Brothers in Arms", and Willy would have known whom he hired as producer. The thing about Lourdes sounds more interesting to me (although hardly true) ...

OfflineRail King

• Lady writer
« Reply #54 on: December 20, 2017, 10:19:41 AM »
Willy's words (20 years after Miracle) don't sound as if he had a problem with Mark: http://www.richardrbmarcus.com/2009/08/willy_deville_rest_in_peace.html

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #55 on: December 20, 2017, 12:02:53 PM »
I recall a Willy de Ville concert in youtube singing Storybook love introducing the song with some bad words about MK , something like "I wrote this song for a record I did with someone that is a nobody right now" or something like that...

I was searching for that video and I found it:

http://www.jukebox.fr/willy-de-ville/clip,storybook-love,uf3qz.html

« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 12:09:56 PM by jbaent »

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #56 on: December 20, 2017, 12:31:05 PM »
More about Willy and MK, in this case, good words:

I wanted to ask you about the album you made with Mark Knopfler, I can’t remember its title (“Miracle” Willy supplied) how did that come about? Was he assigned to produce you by your label or did it come about some other way?

It was Mark’s wife Lourdes who came up with the idea. She said to him that you don’t sing like Willy and he doesn’t play guitar like you,

Nobody plays guitar like him.

That’s for sure, but you really like his stuff so why don’t you do an album together?

So I went over to London to do this album. It wasn’t easy because we didn’t want it to sound like a Dire Straits’ album, and his guitar playing is so unique that it was hard to do. But nothing good is going to be easy. I know that I spent the whole time really trying to impress Mark, I wanted it to be good.

But, yeah it was his wife Lourdes who was responsible more than anyone else for that album. She’s a really great lady, really nice. I still really like that album, especially “Southern Politician”.

In an interview with you on theLive In The Lowlands DVD you talked about Mark’s reaction to the song “Storybook Love”…

Oh yeah that was funny. I played him what I had and he looked at me and said how did you know about that. I said what, and he said that he was working on a movie with Rob Reiner called the Princess Bride and I’d just written a song that told the story. He got on the phone and phoned Rob and told him, and Reiner said to get it out to him as soon as possible. So we did it up rough and sent it off and he loved it.

The next thing I know I’m standing backstage and listening to Dudley Moore and Liza Manelli introduce me before going out to sing “Storybook Song” at the Oscars. There I was standing backstage with Tom Selleck and Karl Malden, waiting to onstage. It was weird…

From here: https://blogcritics.org/interview-willy-deville-part-two/

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #57 on: December 20, 2017, 02:19:53 PM »
I've never understood this...

The melody of Storybook Love is the main theme of The Princess Bride soundtrack - who wrote the melody, Willy or MK?!
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineRail King

• Lady writer
« Reply #58 on: December 20, 2017, 02:49:11 PM »
I recall a Willy de Ville concert in youtube singing Storybook love introducing the song with some bad words about MK , something like "I wrote this song for a record I did with someone that is a nobody right now" or something like that...

Oh, indeed. Not very friendly. Willy seems to have gone a bit bitter at this point in his life (around Loup Garou, you say?). He was certainly right that "Mark Knopfler" might not have meant as much as it had in 1987 anymore, but it meant (and still means, see Rock n Roll Hall of Fame introduction)  significantly more than "Willy DeVille". Anyway, he sounded more mild again in this 2006 interview. May he rest in peace.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 03:13:16 PM by Rail King »

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #59 on: December 20, 2017, 03:43:28 PM »

Oh, indeed. Not very friendly. Willy seems to have gone a bit bitter at this point in his life (around Loup Garou, you say?). He was certainly right that "Mark Knopfler" might not have meant as much as it had in 1987 anymore, but it meant (and still means, see Rock n Roll Hall of Fame introduction)  significantly more than "Willy DeVille". Anyway, he sounded more mild again in this 2006 interview. May he rest in peace.
MK in 1987? Still very relevant

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.053 seconds with 35 queries.