Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: 3 Chord Trick (Legacy)  (Read 89385 times)

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
Re: 3 Chord Trick (Legacy)
« Reply #60 on: December 20, 2017, 03:51:46 PM »
I've never understood this...

The melody of Storybook Love is the main theme of The Princess Bride soundtrack - who wrote the melody, Willy or MK?!

I do agree with you, in fact I always thought that... how is that song only credited to De Ville if the same melody is used along the score? And if it's not credited also to MK because is 100% of De Ville... How is De Ville not credited as co-composert for most of the tracks in the score?

I think this might be the same case that musicians with MK (Alan Clark, Jim Cox, Guy Fletcher etc) adding their own melodies to songs but not being credited because "who wrote the song" was MK, so, De Ville wrote the song, MK added the melody to made it fit, but didn't got credited for it.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #61 on: December 20, 2017, 04:01:53 PM »
Going back to topic, listening the "3 Chord trick" Legacy record almost in repeat in my car, I recognize lot of things I used to love in Dire Straits but miss in MK solo career, those keyboards arrangements, those orchestrations, so many fillings that made the DS songs sound so different (and better in a certain way) than the MK solo songs...

Actually, thinking about this, I also recall myself thinking how great and different sounded the DS songs live and that all that great and different arrangement are not usual in the MK solo tours, the songs are arranged to be played live with logical diferences to the studio versions, but still quite similar, but the DS songs played live, a lot of them, had very different arrangements live to the studio ones (Once upon a time in the west, the Romeo and Juliet intro and sax solo, the Sultans extension, the Tunnel of love intro, the great Wild west end arrangement for the BIA tour, the Portobello, Setting me up etc for the OES tour etc etc etc)

Despite we like Alan Clark or not because all that happened, he was the musical director of the DS tours, nowadays is Guy who has that role, and I'm sure Clark's role was more relevant that we think, and his absence is noticed in the lack of all those great new arrangements in songs. I thnk the only great one in MK solo career is that MFN blues intro during the STP tour...

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #62 on: December 20, 2017, 06:18:03 PM »
Going back to topic, listening the "3 Chord trick" Legacy record almost in repeat in my car, I recognize lot of things I used to love in Dire Straits but miss in MK solo career, those keyboards arrangements, those orchestrations, so many fillings that made the DS songs sound so different (and better in a certain way) than the MK solo songs...

Actually, thinking about this, I also recall myself thinking how great and different sounded the DS songs live and that all that great and different arrangement are not usual in the MK solo tours, the songs are arranged to be played live with logical diferences to the studio versions, but still quite similar, but the DS songs played live, a lot of them, had very different arrangements live to the studio ones (Once upon a time in the west, the Romeo and Juliet intro and sax solo, the Sultans extension, the Tunnel of love intro, the great Wild west end arrangement for the BIA tour, the Portobello, Setting me up etc for the OES tour etc etc etc)

Despite we like Alan Clark or not because all that happened, he was the musical director of the DS tours, nowadays is Guy who has that role, and I'm sure Clark's role was more relevant that we think, and his absence is noticed in the lack of all those great new arrangements in songs. I thnk the only great one in MK solo career is that MFN blues intro during the STP tour...

fully agree. I said something similar before, but I felt that other forumers didn't feel the same.
I think that feelings about Alan's talent are blended with his behaviour, but I yhink these are 2 separate things, and indeed alan had a very big riole in DS sounds/arrangements/versions
Man,y fans love the On-location-Alchemy-BIA-tour era. It's obvious that this period wouln't have sounded the same without Alan, and it's not only "arrangements", it's really "pieces of music" (intros, outros, bridges, etc...)

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #63 on: December 20, 2017, 06:19:42 PM »

MK in 1987? Still very relevant

I'd say  a little bit less than in 85-86 though
in 1987, DS wasn't in the limelight like one or two years before, and I'm not sure that the name "Knoplfer" was "famous"

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #64 on: December 20, 2017, 08:24:03 PM »
I think the only great one in MK solo career is that MFN blues intro during the STP tour...

But actually someone else arrangement? I read somewhere the name of the song covered into bluished MFN
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #65 on: December 21, 2017, 08:46:08 AM »
I think the only great one in MK solo career is that MFN blues intro during the STP tour...

But actually someone else arrangement? I read somewhere the name of the song covered into bluished MFN

Yes it comes from an old blues (can't remember the name, it was quoted on MKnews at the time, but it isn't in 2001 archives anymore), in the same way he used "Dark was the night" fo introducing Donegan's gone in 2007

OfflineRail King

• Lady writer
« Reply #66 on: December 21, 2017, 09:24:16 AM »
I recall a Willy de Ville concert in youtube singing Storybook love introducing the song with some bad words about MK , something like "I wrote this song for a record I did with someone that is a nobody right now" or something like that...

I was searching for that video and I found it:

http://www.jukebox.fr/willy-de-ville/clip,storybook-love,uf3qz.html

Oh, indeed. Not very friendly. Willy seems to have gone a bit bitter at this point in his life (around Loup Garou, you say?). He was certainly right that "Mark Knopfler" might not have meant as much as it had in 1987 anymore, but it meant (and still means, see Rock n Roll Hall of Fame introduction)  significantly more than "Willy DeVille". Anyway, he sounded more mild again in this 2006 interview. May he rest in peace.
MK in 1987? Still very relevant

sent from my Samsung galaxy 7edge via tapatalk

You got me wrong. What I meant is that he didn't mean as much publicly when Willy made his remarks in that concert (around 1995, supposedly) as he had in 1987. Of course back then, Dire Straits were at the height of their fame.

OfflineRail King

• Lady writer
« Reply #67 on: December 21, 2017, 09:34:00 AM »

Surely Alan was influential. And just as surely Mark could have his songs arranged in a "Legacy" way if he wanted to. It would just make him sound terribly dated. Which is probably the point with "Legacy", but gladly not with him. Just imagine releasing something like "Private Investigations" or "Ride across the River" today. You'd have to call it parody to get away with it. If you take a nostalgic viewpoint, it has its charm, but as for Mark's solo work, it's the sparse arrangements (as on "Shangri-La") that I like best.

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #68 on: December 21, 2017, 09:35:30 AM »
Parody?

A good song with good arrangements would be as excellent today as it was 20 years ago and as it will be 20 years in the future.

OfflineRail King

• Lady writer
« Reply #69 on: December 21, 2017, 10:20:05 AM »
Parody?

A good song with good arrangements would be as excellent today as it was 20 years ago and as it will be 20 years in the future.

Good yes. But you wouldn't record it the way you did in 85. Just like you no longer dress like in 85 (I hope  ;))

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #70 on: December 21, 2017, 10:32:58 AM »
Parody?

Good yes. But you wouldn't record it the way you did in 85. Just like you no longer dress like in 85 (I hope  ;))

Obviously not. DS didnt sound the same in 1980 than in 1983, or 1992... but the essence of the excelent arrangements was there always and probably would had stayed there.

In fact, most of it is reflected in the Legacy record. Alan fills all the songs with great keyboards, piano, hammond, orchestrarions, like he did in all the different periods of DS, and it doesn't sound like a pardy, it sounds like good music.

OfflineRail King

• Lady writer
« Reply #71 on: December 21, 2017, 11:57:49 AM »
Parody?

Obviously not. DS didnt sound the same in 1980 than in 1983, or 1992... but the essence of the excelent arrangements was there always and probably would had stayed there.

In fact, most of it is reflected in the Legacy record. Alan fills all the songs with great keyboards, piano, hammond, orchestrarions, like he did in all the different periods of DS, and it doesn't sound like a pardy, it sounds like good music.

I listened to some of the songs. To each his own, but to me it sounds like mediocre songs with awful lyrics, awful voices and dad-rock production.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #72 on: December 21, 2017, 12:40:15 PM »
You've got me curious Jbaent, but I don't want to like this so I don't think I'll give it a listen.  Or will I...  :hmm
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #73 on: December 21, 2017, 12:43:15 PM »
You've got me curious Jbaent, but I don't want to like this so I don't think I'll give it a listen.  Or will I...  :hmm

Go on, be a devil!    ;D
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #74 on: December 21, 2017, 01:00:35 PM »

Do it...

It's true that Caviglia's voice is not good but the songs are.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.039 seconds with 39 queries.