Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: 3 Chord Trick (Legacy)  (Read 89395 times)

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
Re: 3 Chord Trick (Legacy)
« Reply #210 on: December 28, 2017, 02:02:18 PM »
See, I love the intro, but I don't think that's why it was a hit. It was a hit because of the riff and the lyrics.

Walk of Life I would argue was a hit because of the keyboard line...

Sent from my Tab2A7-20F using Tapatalk

I recall reading Bicknell saying MK was having fun with a farfisa organ and came up with the famous melody, and that the song was very close to be left out of the record as they consider it as a kind of funny song but not serious enough to be on the record. I can't recall who were the "they" but imagine they had left it out...

About MFN. A song is the sum of all the parts. What made the song famous was the guitar riff and the lyrics, but the intro is also well known, and an important part of it, at least until 1990 that dissapeared for the first time  ;D
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #211 on: December 28, 2017, 02:15:16 PM »
Yes I'm quite 100% sure that the walk of line organ melody is by Mark
about Industrial disease, I have more doubts, and won't be surprised if Alan gave the idea.
On the contrary, the organ melody at the start of it never rains, seems to come from the guitar line, so by Mark

and what about the sax melody on your latest trick ?....do you think Mark played it on guitar to Brecker ?

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #212 on: December 28, 2017, 02:19:15 PM »
Yes I'm quite 100% sure that the walk of line organ melody is by Mark
about Industrial disease, I have more doubts, and won't be surprised if Alan gave the idea.
On the contrary, the organ melody at the start of it never rains, seems to come from the guitar line, so by Mark

and what about the sax melody on your latest trick ?....do you think Mark played it on guitar to Brecker ?

probably.

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #213 on: December 28, 2017, 02:23:09 PM »
I'm positively sure Mark wrote the Walk of Life intro/riff, he's said it himself a couple of times in interviews.

It's tricky territory. When I think of Layla for instance the very first thing that pops up is the guitar riff - but Clapton didn't write that, Duane Allman did. For some reason I don't understand Allman was never credited for that...
I am the Iron Fist. Protector of K'un-Lun. Sworn enemy of the Hand.

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #214 on: December 28, 2017, 02:27:10 PM »
See, I love the intro, but I don't think that's why it was a hit. It was a hit because of the riff and the lyrics.

I recall reading Bicknell saying MK was having fun with a farfisa organ and came up with the famous melody, and that the song was very close to be left out of the record as they consider it as a kind of funny song but not serious enough to be on the record. I can't recall who were the "they" but imagine they had left it out...

About MFN. A song is the sum of all the parts. What made the song famous was the guitar riff and the lyrics, but the intro is also well known, and an important part of it, at least until 1990 that dissapeared for the first time  ;D

Didn't Mark explain how the intro was created before announcing Sting in the Montserrat concert?

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #215 on: December 28, 2017, 02:30:39 PM »

Didn't Mark explain how the intro was created before announcing Sting in the Montserrat concert?

I'm not sure. I think what he told was that Sting happened to be on holydays at Montserrat and he came up at the studio to say Hi and ended singing in MFN.

I read somewhere that Sting was looking for Omar Hakim to play with him but he didn't manage to find him, and when in Montserrat he discovered he was there recording with DS!!! Sting met Omar there and agreed to join his band.

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
« Reply #216 on: December 28, 2017, 02:47:51 PM »
I recall reading Bicknell saying MK was having fun with a farfisa organ and came up with the famous melody

Wrong, it was created by Alan Clark with the contribution of Mickey Mouse and Chewbacca
A Pensaboy who later became a Pensaghost http://pensaboy.altervista.org/guitar.html

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #217 on: December 28, 2017, 02:49:40 PM »
I recall reading Bicknell saying MK was having fun with a farfisa organ and came up with the famous melody

Wrong, it was created by Alan Clark with the contribution of Mickey Mouse and Chewbacca

I was wondering... If you run away from here again, and after a while come back... Would you name yourself Pensaghost ghost?

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
« Reply #218 on: December 28, 2017, 03:03:04 PM »

I was wondering... If you run away from here again, and after a while come back... Would you name yourself Pensaghost ghost?

I will ask Alan Clark, he has good ideas
A Pensaboy who later became a Pensaghost http://pensaboy.altervista.org/guitar.html

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #219 on: December 28, 2017, 03:04:53 PM »

And if you run away then, you could be the ghost of Pensaghost ghost.

Don't forget to delete all your ghosts posts, ghost.

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
« Reply #220 on: December 28, 2017, 03:17:13 PM »

And if you run away then, you could be the ghost of Pensaghost ghost.

Don't forget to delete all your ghosts posts, ghost.

You Should Relax

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #221 on: December 28, 2017, 03:21:37 PM »

You should relax too, ghost.

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
« Reply #222 on: December 28, 2017, 03:28:01 PM »

man, I can joke as much as I want and delete my posts as much as I want, none of your business

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #223 on: December 28, 2017, 03:36:09 PM »

I'm not sure. I think what he told was that Sting happened to be on holydays at Montserrat and he came up at the studio to say Hi and ended singing in MFN.

I read somewhere that Sting was looking for Omar Hakim to play with him but he didn't manage to find him, and when in Montserrat he discovered he was there recording with DS!!! Sting met Omar there and agreed to join his band.

He’s kinda vague about the process but he basically says he came up with the idea and would really like to get Sting to sing in it. But as I said before, it’s a process. Mark has the ideas, shows them to the band, gives some directions and voila. At least that’s what happens in general according to the man himself.

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #224 on: December 28, 2017, 03:44:19 PM »

man, I can joke as much as I want and delete my posts as much as I want, none of your business

I might had listened a ghost whisper or something

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.04 seconds with 35 queries.