Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: 3 Chord Trick (Legacy)  (Read 89407 times)

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
Re: 3 Chord Trick (Legacy)
« Reply #240 on: December 29, 2017, 12:24:27 AM »
Musician are not always credited, sometime settlement outside of court and public scope are made. Sting was offered the choice and (wisely) decided to be credited.

I think someone posted here that Sting didn't want to be credited, but his lawyer insisted for that and Sting was embarassed

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #241 on: December 29, 2017, 09:39:08 AM »
Musician are not always credited, sometime settlement outside of court and public scope are made. Sting was offered the choice and (wisely) decided to be credited.

We have example of what used to be considered as only a contribution, sometimes compensated by session fee, are now ruled as legitimate claim for credit and to name a few : Claire Torry, Matthew Fisher, or Bobby Valentino.

yes indeed, Clare Torry for great gig is the best example in rock history. I read somewhere that she will now be credited on further releases. I don't have a "new" Dark side release. Can someone confirm ?
Same story with the "wall kids" . They got the record for their efforts. After initially complaining they had received nothing

sent from my Samsung galaxy 7edge via tapatalk

any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #242 on: December 29, 2017, 05:46:14 PM »
Looks like some people decide to jump on AC directly in Facebook, and he is answering. See attachment.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
« Reply #243 on: December 29, 2017, 06:13:41 PM »
Legally he can't say he co-wrote it, but at the same time he is using other words to say he basically did

Ridiculous
A Pensaboy who later became a Pensaghost http://pensaboy.altervista.org/guitar.html

Love Expresso

« Reply #244 on: December 29, 2017, 07:33:29 PM »
I can't find any bad attitude or wrong judgment in what Alan Clark wrote. I think he sums it up pretty accurate to be fair.

LE
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 08:14:01 PM by Love Expresso »

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #245 on: December 29, 2017, 07:35:08 PM »
Same story with the "wall kids" . They got the record for their efforts. After initially complaining they had received nothing

I find it's a complete different story : the kids sung the melody composed by Waters, they didn't "create" anything
Clare Torry sung an improvisation above Rick's piano lines. the vocal melody came entirely from his mind, not from Rick's one. He composed "only" the chord progression an piano lines, not the vocal melody.
Thta's why I find that she desserves credits, not the kids

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #246 on: December 29, 2017, 07:36:03 PM »
Legally he can't say he co-wrote it, but at the same time he is using other words to say he basically did

Ridiculous

it's exactly the subject of this thread : the legal definition is not always the exact defintion of what is going in the real life. it's a little bit more complex than what is legally correct or no.

Onlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #247 on: December 29, 2017, 07:48:34 PM »
Fair play to Alan, he seems fairly clear there that he doesn't claim to have "written" the song. Good for him.

Sent from my Tab2A7-20F using Tapatalk

"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
« Reply #248 on: December 29, 2017, 07:50:30 PM »

Ridiculous

it's exactly the subject of this thread : the legal definition is not always the exact defintion of what is going in the real life. it's a little bit more complex than what is legally correct or no.

Yes, but anyone could claim anything

He says he wrote the piano parts on his own? or did MK write them and he only 'adapted' them?
did he cowrite the song or not ? Legally no but technically yes ?

That's a ridiculous discussion
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 08:58:51 PM by PensaGhost »
A Pensaboy who later became a Pensaghost http://pensaboy.altervista.org/guitar.html

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #249 on: December 29, 2017, 08:06:14 PM »
Ghost, go to facebook and ask him. Then you come back and whisper the answer.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #250 on: December 29, 2017, 08:30:27 PM »
I can't find any bad attitude or wrong judgment in what Alan Clark wrote. I think he sums it up pretty accurate to be fair.

LE

I think he's very vague in what he says.  He could elaborate and say if his parts are based on something Mark had written, if he did it in collaboration with Mark, if he did these parts alone handed it to Mark and he went along with it or maybe Mark adapted Alan's suggestions.

This vagueness has always suggested to me his part in DS isn't quite as relevant as he seems to remember.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
« Reply #251 on: December 29, 2017, 09:02:15 PM »

LE

I think he's very vague in what he says.  He could elaborate and say if his parts are based on something Mark had written, if he did it in collaboration with Mark, if he did these parts alone handed it to Mark and he went along with it or maybe Mark adapted Alan's suggestions.

This vagueness has always suggested to me his part in DS isn't quite as relevant as he seems to remember.

dmg 100%  :thumbsup

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #252 on: December 29, 2017, 09:06:38 PM »

I find it's a complete different story : the kids sung the melody composed by Waters, they didn't "create" anything

The kids on ABITWP2 are Bob's idea because he already did that on Alice Cooper's School's Out that he produced.
Right they only performed pre written music.

Now for the money, the problem lies int he fact that this is the school that was awarded the £1000 fee but not the children themselves.
And as performer they were entitled to get royalties over records sales and airing.
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #253 on: December 29, 2017, 09:15:29 PM »

LE

Mark wrote the melody.
Alan Clark is publicly not claiming credits.
Ends of the Alan's bashing case (on that matter).

The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #254 on: December 29, 2017, 09:22:57 PM »
I had a nice chat with AC on FB today. I asked him if he co-wrote TR, his answer was:

" hi Vincent, I never said I co-wrote Telegraph Road, the reason being because I didn't. Mark wrote that song. What I did do was play a big part in it's evolution, in its arrangement by coming up with the piano parts while it was being written. Some people might argue that was co-writing; I don't."

I then asked him if he felt targeted by TOTT and talked to MK about it. The answer was:

"No, Vincent, I don't feel targeted personally, and no, I haven't talked to him about it."
"

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.051 seconds with 39 queries.