Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Amused to death new master  (Read 2472 times)

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
Amused to death new master
« on: August 12, 2015, 08:44:14 PM »
I am currently listening to the new master on Blu ray and I'm truly delighted by it.
Am I the only one to find this album to be Roger's masterpiece and really on par with PF's best albums ?
What go wants part III blows me away, watching TV and it's a miracle brings me to tears...

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
Re: Amused to death new master
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2015, 10:53:19 PM »
So it seems that I am alone then :(

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2015, 01:07:38 PM »
People are on vacation and you posted only 24h ago.

So to be back on the subject, I listened it once at the record shop when it was released but did not buy it.

Roger Waters solo never really made it to me. Good at writing but musically he's too often somewhere to weak / boring / self indulgent / pompous.

The Wall would never had been what it is without a real producer with balls on it.
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2015, 02:21:21 PM »

So to be back on the subject, I listened it once at the record shop when it was released but did not buy it.

Roger Waters solo never really made it to me. Good at writing but musically he's too often somewhere to weak / boring / self indulgent / pompous.

The Wall would never had been what it is without a real producer with balls on it.
Ouch that's harsh...
As much as I love David (you know how much I have paid to see him in Orange !) I think PF would never have been what it is without Roger.
Yes Roger can be pompous, self-indulgent, egomaniac - yet I love the guy, because he is passionate, frank, honest (he was able to admit his faults !). He has a vision, he is committed to his beliefs, I found him a very fascinating person.
And musically, even though David was the sound, I think that Jeff Beck is doing a fine job on ATD. And live with him, live, top-notch people like Snowy White, Andy Low, Doyle II...
I never wanted to chose between David and Roger. I love both. really. They have little in common, yet both were unable to be as brilliant alone as together ! ATD comes close, though.

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2015, 02:32:50 PM »
Roger Waters is a genius, no doubt about it, but I find his solo career quite boring. In all his records there are excellent songs, but for me the overall feeling in all of them doesn´t "amuse" me at all.

Amused to death have my favourite RW songs on it, "perfect sense" is a masterpiece for me, but I never could listen to the whole record without skip songs, same with "Final Cut" that even was released as PF, is clearly a RW solo record with Gilmour on guitar and Mason at drums.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2015, 04:31:31 PM »

Ouch that's harsh...
As much as I love David (you know how much I have paid to see him in Orange !) I think PF would never have been what it is without Roger.
Yes Roger can be pompous, self-indulgent, egomaniac - yet I love the guy, because he is passionate, frank, honest (he was able to admit his faults !). He has a vision, he is committed to his beliefs, I found him a very fascinating person.
And musically, even though David was the sound, I think that Jeff Beck is doing a fine job on ATD. And live with him, live, top-notch people like Snowy White, Andy Low, Doyle II...
I never wanted to chose between David and Roger. I love both. really. They have little in common, yet both were unable to be as brilliant alone as together ! ATD comes close, though.

Of course PF would have not been the same without Roger. But MUSICALLY Roger really needs an alter ego, he is not good enough to write music for a full album, so at the end of the day you get on a solo RW album let say 3 good songs and the rest is not.  Snowy White, Andy Low, Doyle II are all great but they are just hired musicians. Roger would really needs someone to write music for his texts, this is what I think.

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2015, 11:14:26 AM »
I see what you mean.
Still, with a few exceptions I still think that ATD was musically well written. I would no say so of Pros and cons, which did little for me, or worse Radio KOS, which was painful to my ears. But ATD did it for me musically, especially What God Wants part III which I find gorgeous, Watching TV which is very moving, and it's a miracle which is touching too. prefect sense may be less thrilling musically but makes a lot of sense lyrically :) of course there are a few slippers. But hey, the same is true of the Wall... And OES... ;)

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2015, 04:40:26 PM »
I really like ATD and I have it both in vinyl and CD. Does this remaster has a big  difference from the original? I might consider buying the vinyl picture disks.I also like Pros and cons, it is the most Pink Floyd, (it was written the same time with the Wall)  Davidless album. I wonder how it would sound with Gimour on guitar, because Clapton lacks the Floyd sound. Gilmour's solo albums were (so far) very disappointing (yes even On an island was weak), both musically and lyrically, while Roger's Pros and AtD are well beyond average. Even Radio chaos has a couple of good songs. Unfortunately Gilmour's guitar sound and equally his voice, are missing from Roger's concerts, when he plays PF songs. (I saw the wall in 2013 and Gilmor's vocal parts were... uncomfortably different, while his guitar sound was adequately emulated (except the comfortably numb solo, but it was OK) Final cut was indeed the Roger first solo album, featuring Gilmour and Mason. Still has glorious moments better than any other on any solo albums. But as a complete work it is not as good as AtD and Pros and Cons.

About the AtD being on par with the rest PF albums, I have to say that the PF sound was such a unique  combination of Roger's ideas (music and lyrics) and David's execution and production, guitar and voice, plus lovely guitar music, that I can not compare it with PF. Actually, Pros and Cons would have been the most PF sounding album if David was playing in it and On an Island gets quite close to it. But even momentary lapse of reason and at some parts and in smaller degree, The division bell, do not sound much like PF either. You are certainly reminded of PF in Roger's solo albums, because the voice and type of ideas are too obvious...Roger, but because they are familiar. It has nothing to do with quality. I some times wonder if the Gilmor solo album would get as much attention as they did if he was an unknown musician.
Come on, it is not funny anymore.

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2015, 06:08:07 PM »
On Pros and Cons you get a very frustrated EC being told note for note to play what Roger wanted. This album is almost nonsense when you get a such talented guitarist with you.

And this is exactly what happened to David during The Final Cut, he was so tired about fight with Roger during The Wall sessions that on this record he only did the job of being the band 's guitarist.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.032 seconds with 38 queries.