Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Produced by Guy Fletcher  (Read 36987 times)

OfflineRolo

• Camerado
  • i tend to be, sometimes, acid
Re: Produced by Guy Fletcher
« Reply #135 on: November 12, 2018, 03:16:43 PM »
Hi there.

Reading all the replies to this thread, i must admit that is a sensitive issue to discuss.
That's because here at AMIT is a home for MK fans (the hard ones  ;)).

Well, here is my opinion.

I listen to DS/MK since i was a kid. Like many, i started to play guitar because of Mark's music. I cleary remember to listen Down To The Waterline on a trip and saying to myself: "That's i wanna do".

Like Pavel, i learned every song, every chord, every lick, every tone, every live interpretation, every everething.

Reading that "Mark is not a guitar player" simply made my eyes bleed.
Who went to a STP show saw a terrific guitar player. Who listened to the Local Hero Soundtrack listened a master player.
It's obvious that, with age, some pleasures of life changes. Now, Mark is a composer that allow to other people to produce his works. He is almost 70's and he is cleary passing to some "age issues"...etc.

About the DTRW songs that i heard, i must admit that are the uglyests MK's songs that i ever listened. Since Skydiver, i never skiped a MK song.
These new songs are poor, non-expressive and have an disgussing arrangement.
Trapper Man is pure shit.

Years ago, i told to my buddy Brunno Nunes that the GF influence/production was bad in terms of music/arrangement.
I always told that Mark is a innovative artist and he have composed songs in a huge variety of styles and since the Tracker album, i was expecting an "urban" album.
But not an Celine Dion album.

I read some reviews and i have to agree that the most of the music journalists likes to listen shit.

Sorry the long text and sorry my poor english too.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #136 on: November 12, 2018, 03:37:36 PM »
Who went to a STP show saw a terrific guitar player. Who listened to the Local Hero Soundtrack listened a master player.
It's obvious that, with age, some pleasures of life changes. Now, Mark is a composer that allow to other people to produce his works. He is almost 70's and he is cleary passing to some "age issues"...etc.

That's exactly why I don't want to talk this "MK The Guitar Player" stuff, because people always get me wrong. And I mean — always.

What I really mean is that for his music (and his distinctive style) he's the best guitar player on the planet, no questions about it. But when you ask yourself, why he's constantly taking lessons from Richard Bennett on the road? Because Richard Bennett is miles ahead in the guitar department, so as Chet Atkins, people like that. Richard can't play a solo like MK and vice versa. So Richard is The Guitar Player with capital letters, Mark is a Songwriter who happens to be a guitar player. This is all I want to say, not that Mark can't play guitar or something.

About the DTRW songs that i heard, i must admit that are the uglyests MK's songs that i ever listened. Since Skydiver, i never skiped a MK song.

Yesterday I was learning Trapper Man and thought "it's one of the simplest MK songs ever". The only trouble is that simple doesn't automatically mean good :disbelief

Love Expresso

« Reply #137 on: November 12, 2018, 03:58:04 PM »
I agree that I expected something more... elaborated.. the lyrics suggest something more deep. I know we are never happy. This Is Us, a couple standing in the kitchen and watching photos from their lifelong love, fitted perfectly with such uplifting sound. With the Trapper Man, I expected some sort of serious work about a Kind of the "man on a track" -returning into town if you like and the TR intro sound for a second let me believe this. Out came a Radio tune for simple US Highway Radio Stations (sorry no offence to Americans).
Exactly the first listen you enjoy ... like "Hey what's that.".. and then you realize how flat it is...

My main criterion is always, do I feel the urge to send these songs to my Non-MK friends to show them how good he is .. or do I better not because I feel it could  return embarrassing reactions.

LE
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 04:18:16 PM by Love Expresso »

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #138 on: November 12, 2018, 04:31:33 PM »
I agree that I expected something more... elaborated.. the lyrics suggest something more deep. I know we are never happy. This Is Us, a couple standing in the kitchen and watching photos from their lifelong love, fitted perfectly with such uplifting sound. With the Trapper Man, I expected some sort of serious work about a Kind of the "man on a track" -returning into town if you like and the TR intro sound for a second let me believe this. Out came a Radio tune for simple US Highway Radio Stations (sorry no offence to Americans).
Exactly the first listen you enjoy ... like "Hey what's that.".. and then you realize how flat it is...

My main criterion is always, do I feel the urge to send these songs to my Non-MK friends to show them how good he is .. or do I better not because I feel it could  return embarrassing reactions.

LE

I guess that's the best translation of our frustration, because you're not only into music, but you're deep into lyrics, too.

The album is really too eclectic sometimes. Yes, even with just 10 songs. Yes, even with this kind of poor files quality.

I had huge expectations for One Song At A Time. This story, the Chet Atkins connection (which was only for title).
But what we get is the eclectic marriage between Song For Sonny Liston and So Far From The Clyde.

OfflineRolo

• Camerado
  • i tend to be, sometimes, acid
« Reply #139 on: November 12, 2018, 04:50:51 PM »
I had huge expectations for One Song At A Time. This story, the Chet Atkins connection (which was only for title).
But what we get is the eclectic marriage between Song For Sonny Liston and So Far From The Clyde.

One Song At A Time is pure shit too. Trust me.

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
« Reply #140 on: November 12, 2018, 04:51:46 PM »
looooooooooool  :lol
Proud member of the AMIT crew

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #141 on: November 12, 2018, 04:52:19 PM »

LE

Yes, flat, that is what I felt about Trapper Man too, also very monotonous, going on and on to nowhere.  It needs more diversions along the way in the good old MK usual style!  ;)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Love Expresso

« Reply #142 on: November 12, 2018, 04:56:33 PM »

One Song At A Time is pure shit too. Trust me.

I would be willing to defend that great song, but then again, why should I, each to his own. But with the trust you thing I will be careful from now on.   :wave

LE

Offlinevr46mk

• Lady writer
  • Early Bird
« Reply #143 on: November 12, 2018, 04:56:54 PM »
Curious.....

Those of you who are very negative to the songs on this album and/or the album in general...
If you have bought ticket/s to the upcoming tour...do you, after hearing most of the songs, feel it's a waste of money thinking several songs from the album will probably be played?

Personally I prefer some songs over others of course, but I'm still hoping for songs from Ragpickers Dream / Privateering again and not mostly DTRW songs....

Those b----rds did not play Marbletown last time in Sweden, they did in the 4 concerts in Norway but skipped when I was attending, and played it again in the next gig... I really hope they do that one this time since I really like the live version of it and want to hear it LIVE!

Love Expresso

« Reply #144 on: November 12, 2018, 05:00:01 PM »
I expect nothing from the concert to be honest. I only go because it could be the last time and social pressure is forcing me to go.

He might play five new songs at the first shows maybe but will go down to three and the rest is the usual suspects.

LE

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #145 on: November 12, 2018, 05:01:41 PM »
Hi there.

Reading all the replies to this thread, i must admit that is a sensitive issue to discuss.
That's because here at AMIT is a home for MK fans (the hard ones  ;)).

Well, here is my opinion.

I listen to DS/MK since i was a kid. Like many, i started to play guitar because of Mark's music. I cleary remember to listen Down To The Waterline on a trip and saying to myself: "That's i wanna do".

Like Pavel, i learned every song, every chord, every lick, every tone, every live interpretation, every everething.

Years ago, i told to my buddy Brunno Nunes that the GF influence/production was bad in terms of music/arrangement.
I always told that Mark is a innovative artist and he have composed songs in a huge variety of styles and since the Tracker album, i was expecting an "urban" album.
But not an Celine Dion album.

I read some reviews and i have to agree that the most of the music journalists likes to listen shit.

Sorry the long text and sorry my poor english too.
welcome
do not worry about your english.
i hope you will revisit your opinion once you had the chance to listen to the full album, with good headphones on.
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #146 on: November 12, 2018, 05:22:47 PM »
I just read Trapper Man thread again from when we first heard it.   We were all over the moon and loving it as though it was the best thing ever, then gradually little cracks and doubts began to appear, especially about the organ, as the euphoria subsided  ::)   
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
« Reply #147 on: November 12, 2018, 05:25:07 PM »
I just read Trapper Man thread again from when we first heard it.   We were all over the moon and loving it as though it was the best thing ever, then gradually little cracks and doubts began to appear, especially about the organ, as the euphoria subsided  ::)

I still have this opinion, and i'm glad i still love the track :)
Proud member of the AMIT crew

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #148 on: November 12, 2018, 05:27:53 PM »

I still have this opinion, and i'm glad i still love the track :)

I'm glad for you and I'm sure all of the tracks will sound much better when we play the album on a good sound system and all of the songs are in the right order!
Goin' into Tow Law....

Love Expresso

« Reply #149 on: November 12, 2018, 05:28:21 PM »
Yes indeed, Val, I confess that the moment of hearing ANYTHING new from MK makes me an uncritical dreamer, willing to love every single note. And when it's a faster, uplifting tune that adds to the euphoria. But when brain and wit come back after the first five listens, I realize what it is ...

LE

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.037 seconds with 43 queries.