Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Produced by Guy Fletcher  (Read 36703 times)

Love Expresso

Re: Produced by Guy Fletcher
« Reply #120 on: November 12, 2018, 12:09:58 PM »
Or maybe he is looking what the band is capable of or able to. I find it pretty cool that they are able to deliver that 70's sound on Nobody Does That so perfectly well and cool as if it was nothing. Mark always says this band is the best one but now he let them show off a bit about their versatility? Folk we know they can do. Now we know that they do Funk and disco also?

LE

hunter

« Reply #121 on: November 12, 2018, 12:16:51 PM »
I think you overestimate the power Guy has. If Mark didn't care for his suggestions, they would never have been implemented. Unless Guy uses hypnosis or voodoo, of course.

No need to resort to hypnosis... It's well know that Mark was an autocrat and "perfectionist" in DS, many stories from band members and seemingly perfect production only proves it.

I think what happens is each year MK is going on the side giving others a chance. Let musicians play, let his best business partner (music is also business) Guy to take control.

It's also known that Mark loves Guy because he'd never had a single argument with him as Mark said in one of the interviews. So they just do that they want to do.

Not necessarily a bad thing, but something is telling me that GF is pushing things into more popular and easy listening territory, and I'm afraid of that. :disbelief

But Mark allowing the musicians to "influence" the production does not mean that he passively lets it happen. The final decision is his. However, that you don't like the direction Mark is taking, that's another story. Personally, I'm just happy to see more openness on his side and the he is willing to explore even in the sunset years of his long career.

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #122 on: November 12, 2018, 12:19:11 PM »
I think you overestimate the power Guy has. If Mark didn't care for his suggestions, they would never have been implemented. Unless Guy uses hypnosis or voodoo, of course.

No need to resort to hypnosis... It's well know that Mark was an autocrat and "perfectionist" in DS, many stories from band members and seemingly perfect production only proves it.

I think what happens is each year MK is going on the side giving others a chance. Let musicians play, let his best business partner (music is also business) Guy to take control.

It's also known that Mark loves Guy because he'd never had a single argument with him as Mark said in one of the interviews. So they just do that they want to do.

Not necessarily a bad thing, but something is telling me that GF is pushing things into more popular and easy listening territory, and I'm afraid of that. :disbelief

But Mark allowing the musicians to "influence" the production does not mean that he passively lets it happen. The final decision is his. However, that you don't like the direction Mark is taking, that's another story. Personally, I'm just happy to see more openness on his side and the he is willing to explore even in the sunset years of his long career.

Nice that you like "openness" somehow... no need to adress from MK side...
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #123 on: November 12, 2018, 12:19:56 PM »
Or maybe he is looking what the band is capable of or able to. I find it pretty cool that they are able to deliver that 70's sound on Nobody Does That so perfectly well and cool as if it was nothing. Mark always says this band is the best one but now he let them show off a bit about their versatility? Folk we know they can do. Now we know that they do Funk and disco also?

LE

Those guys can play virtually anything they want, I'm positively sure about it. They might need some time to adapt and obviously won't play for instance latin stuff as well as Santana's band do but they sure will do it well. As crazy as it might sound I think Mark's the weakest instrumentalist in the band now - but used to be the best, by far.
I am the Iron Fist. Protector of K'un-Lun. Sworn enemy of the Hand.

Love Expresso

« Reply #124 on: November 12, 2018, 12:22:01 PM »
This album will give him much praise and good reviews for sure. It is not impossible that it could be his last one. So it is a great signal of freshness and good energy. And of letting loose a bit.

LE

hunter

« Reply #125 on: November 12, 2018, 12:23:48 PM »

I'm all for openness, whining not so much.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #126 on: November 12, 2018, 12:24:22 PM »

LE

Those guys can play virtually anything they want, I'm positively sure about it. They might need some time to adapt and obviously won't play for instance latin stuff as well as Santana's band do but they sure will do it well. As crazy as it might sound I think Mark's the weakest instrumentalist in the band now - but used to be the best, by far.

He's probably the oldest! 
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #127 on: November 12, 2018, 12:27:26 PM »

LE

He is, and that's the reason I believe. Same happened to BB King, it's just the way it is I guess.

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #128 on: November 12, 2018, 12:28:28 PM »

I'm all for openness, whining not so much.

You didn't stop whinning against all that have a different opinion yet...

I do respect all opinions. But don't respecting others opinions is not an opinion, it's an attitude, and that really needs to be adressed...

Period.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #129 on: November 12, 2018, 12:29:18 PM »

LE

Because Mark is not a guitar player, he's a singer-songwriter and so far nobody from his perfect band was able to put out a song of Mark's magnitude, so that's fair, I guess. No one can be perfect in everything (except Guy).

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #130 on: November 12, 2018, 12:32:02 PM »

LE

Because Mark is not a guitar player, he's a singer-songwriter and so far nobody from his perfect band was able to put out a song of Mark's magnitude, so that's fair, I guess. No one can be perfect in everything (except Guy).

He used to be a guitar player, a good one, in my opinion, and also a great songwriter and a proper singer.

He surrounded himself with the best players and the best handyman  :lol

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #131 on: November 12, 2018, 12:34:07 PM »

LE

Yeah, but I was talking about them solely as instrumentalists. Of course if you take other aspects of music into consideration Mark's obviously another league.

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #132 on: November 12, 2018, 12:37:10 PM »

LE

He used to be a guitar player, a good one, in my opinion, and also a great songwriter and a proper singer.

He surrounded himself with the best players and the best handyman  :lol

In my opinion, when at his peak, Mark was right up there with whoever you choose to top any rankings. His playing was simply out of this world.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #133 on: November 12, 2018, 12:42:32 PM »
In my opinion, when at his peak, Mark was right up there with whoever you choose to top any rankings. His playing was simply out of this world.

It's a very hard topic as you'd imagine and many times I was pissed on (not off) on this forum for talking about this whole "Mark is not a guitar player" thing, so I won't do it anymore.

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #134 on: November 12, 2018, 12:56:59 PM »

It's a very hard topic as you'd imagine and many times I was pissed on (not off) on this forum for talking about this whole "Mark is not a guitar player" thing, so I won't do it anymore.

I totally get you but if you watch any gig of Clapton's band when Mark was in it and allowed himself to be just a sideman you can easily tell how insanely good he was.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 12:59:23 PM by Eddie Fox »

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.046 seconds with 47 queries.