Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: MK silence on Gaza  (Read 238 times)

Offlineprivinvest

• Guitar George
  • i am new on here, be gentle
MK silence on Gaza
« on: Today at 08:20:35 AM »
He is silent (?) on Gaza. And I'm disappointed. Do I/we have a right to expect him to say smth about it? 

Onlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
Re: MK silence on Gaza
« Reply #1 on: Today at 09:38:38 AM »
I don't think you/we do/ He hasn't been known for being overtly political or speaking out about many issues throughout his career.

"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #2 on: Today at 10:00:12 AM »
No.   He is a musician not a politician.
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinewakeywakey

• Camerado
« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:09:15 AM »
He is silent (?) on Gaza. And I'm disappointed. Do I/we have a right to expect him to say smth about it?

There is no we.
You have zero right to speak for me and zero right to expect MK to comment on something you think he should.

Offlinemarki

• Local Hero
« Reply #4 on: Today at 10:21:17 AM »
Maybe you will not like what he has to say?
In that case will you change your mind?

Onlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #5 on: Today at 10:22:11 AM »
No.   He is a musician not a politician.

I agree but I also think he should be able to comment on whatever he wants to. Seems he doesn't feel the need to comment on this which is fine.

Onlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #6 on: Today at 10:24:56 AM »
Maybe you will not like what he has to say?
In that case will you change your mind?

This gets into the interesting question of separating the art from the artist. In my experience the more you like the artist the more you will excuse "questionable" aspects of their personality.

Offlinermarques821

• Lady writer
« Reply #7 on: Today at 10:41:11 AM »
Yes, of course you do. How dare Mark not comment on what is meaningful to Privinvest? You should cancel him very hard!

Onlineborder_reiver

• Founder
  • Romeo
  • "I've been down in Louisiana playing on his album"
« Reply #8 on: Today at 11:36:21 AM »
For the record he didn't mention anything regarding October 7th. Were you also disappointed about his silence at that time as well, privinvest? I couldn't find anything similar about it in your posting history.

This feels like a thread that may spiral pretty quickly into something negative.

Considering a locked thread (edit: if it occurs)
« Last Edit: Today at 01:44:40 PM by border_reiver »
"My idea of heaven is a place where the Tyne meets the Delta, where folk music meets the blues."

Onlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #9 on: Today at 11:51:01 AM »
People have spoken about MK so far without getting into anything nasty I think...

Offlinemarki

• Local Hero
« Reply #10 on: Today at 12:05:33 PM »
@border_reiver - well said!

Indeed locking this is the right thing to do

Offlineprivinvest

• Guitar George
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #11 on: Today at 12:31:51 PM »
Locking a thread? Why? How silly! Asking an open question is not permitted? I remember seeing ukraine flags in his posts. Also vaguely remember smth about a russian band persecuted. the number of angry (?) answers disappointed me. 40 thousand people died, mostly children. i expect my hero to take a stand against/about it. he doesnt have to. maybe what he says will not be entirely to my liking. maybe he will enlarge my understanding. again, he doesnt have to. my expectation was as  human being, not as an artist, politician, activist, commentator, analyst etc. i just wanted see that he's unhappy about what's happening, he dosnt habe to apportion blame etc. anyway

Onlineborder_reiver

• Founder
  • Romeo
« Reply #12 on: Today at 01:02:28 PM »
People have spoken about MK so far without getting into anything nasty I think...

Yes. Let's see where it goes. I just feel that "this one's not going to end well"  :)
"My idea of heaven is a place where the Tyne meets the Delta, where folk music meets the blues."

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #13 on: Today at 01:05:57 PM »
Locking a thread? Why? How silly! Asking an open question is not permitted? I remember seeing ukraine flags in his posts. Also vaguely remember smth about a russian band persecuted. the number of angry (?) answers disappointed me. 40 thousand people died, mostly children. i expect my hero to take a stand against/about it. he doesnt have to. maybe what he says will not be entirely to my liking. maybe he will enlarge my understanding. again, he doesnt have to. my expectation was as  human being, not as an artist, politician, activist, commentator, analyst etc. i just wanted see that he's unhappy about what's happening, he dosnt habe to apportion blame etc. anyway

no need to close. nothing has happened (yet) also, i would prefer Mark not become like Roger Waters, i prefer to listen to his music
Also, do not get me wrong, i personally have strong feelings about what is happening there, but that is not relevant for this thread.
he was vocal about russia, not this time, i assume the general perception was soooooo anti russia that it was easy for him to make a point (to which i agree) but with the Gaza conflict and the palestine/israel question in general, it has become so....vitriolic, from both sides, that it would be suicide to post for him, as he would NEVER be able to pls anyone.
i assume he has acted as a private person on this topic already.
no excuse of course, just an effort to explain
as long as no one becomes aggressive against another member on here, and as long as we stick to the actual question, why close the thread?
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Onlineborder_reiver

• Founder
  • Romeo
« Reply #14 on: Today at 01:43:48 PM »

no need to close. nothing has happened (yet) also, i would prefer Mark not become like Roger Waters, i prefer to listen to his music
Also, do not get me wrong, i personally have strong feelings about what is happening there, but that is not relevant for this thread.
he was vocal about russia, not this time, i assume the general perception was soooooo anti russia that it was easy for him to make a point (to which i agree) but with the Gaza conflict and the palestine/israel question in general, it has become so....vitriolic, from both sides, that it would be suicide to post for him, as he would NEVER be able to pls anyone.
i assume he has acted as a private person on this topic already.
no excuse of course, just an effort to explain
as long as no one becomes aggressive against another member on here, and as long as we stick to the actual question, why close the thread?

MK and politics have always failed in the end of a discussion. Russia being the exception.

Perhaps I was a bit unclear. If the thread goes out of control there's no need to keep it on right?

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.032 seconds with 36 queries.