Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Album Reviews  (Read 11098 times)

OfflineKnopfleRick

• Lady writer
Re: Album Reviews
« Reply #45 on: March 26, 2024, 09:07:11 PM »
Thanks, Tommy, for this interview! Best one in a long, long time. It's not that Mark wouldn't be capable of giving interesting answers. You just have to ask the right questions.

Yes, absolutely one of the best interviews with Mark in a long time.
Thanks, Tommy!  :thumbsup
This is all the heaven we've got right here where we are in our shangri-la.

OfflineRolo

• Camerado
  • i tend to be, sometimes, acid
« Reply #46 on: March 26, 2024, 09:19:06 PM »
-Last time back in 2018, the guitarist had shown how thrilling and versatile he can be (with DTRW), this time with his new album (apart form the perfect production) he failed to do so. He was not able to reach the same "caliber" with ODR

If the reviewer considers DTRW a great thrilling album and ODR his opposite. Well.... there is light at the end of the tunnel.

ODR seems to be GREAT!

Offlinehunter v2.0

• Camerado
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #47 on: March 26, 2024, 09:44:09 PM »
-Last time back in 2018, the guitarist had shown how thrilling and versatile he can be (with DTRW), this time with his new album (apart form the perfect production) he failed to do so. He was not able to reach the same "caliber" with ODR

If the reviewer considers DTRW a great thrilling album and ODR his opposite. Well.... there is light at the end of the tunnel.

ODR seems to be GREAT!

At least with DTRW they tried to do something a little different. Some uptempo songs, different styles. ODR seems to be a fairly slow and low-key album.

OfflineLove Expresso

• Lady writer
« Reply #48 on: March 26, 2024, 09:48:45 PM »
Slow and low-key fits on one of my all-time-favourites, Oh Mercy by Bob Dylan. I don't fear its slowness. I fear some dullness to be honest.

LE

I don't want no sugar in it, thank you very much!

Offlinehunter v2.0

• Camerado
« Reply #49 on: March 26, 2024, 10:04:44 PM »
Slow and low-key fits on one of my all-time-favourites, Oh Mercy by Bob Dylan. I don't fear its slowness. I fear some dullness to be honest.

LE

Sure, there is a place for slow and low-key, but I just feel so much of Mark's solo work has been like that. Like putting "Wherever I Go" on repeat for 74 minutes ...

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #50 on: March 27, 2024, 08:07:46 AM »
But, I think Wherever I Go is a stunning song, everyone has different tastes, and that is a good thing.
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

Offlinehunter v2.0

• Camerado
« Reply #51 on: March 27, 2024, 10:23:11 AM »
But, I think Wherever I Go is a stunning song, everyone has different tastes, and that is a good thing.

What I said wasn't criticism of that song. It was just an example of the "slow and low-key" music Mark has been going for (a lot) in his solo career.

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2024, 10:45:39 AM »

What I said wasn't criticism of that song. It was just an example of the "slow and low-key" music Mark has been going for (a lot) in his solo career.

:thumbsup
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

OfflineRail King

• Lady writer
« Reply #53 on: March 27, 2024, 01:59:44 PM »

LE

Oh Mercy is one of my all-time favourites, too. As is Time out of Mind. Both mostly slow and low-key, none of them dull. And I have yet to hear a dull MK album - don't think this one is going to break the rule. Somehow Mark's albums, particularly the most recent ones, are like a big river: slow, but deep. I expect the new album title to be very fitting in that respect.

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
« Reply #54 on: March 27, 2024, 02:01:06 PM »
German Classic Rock Magazine has a long Interview in its April issue. There is also a review, 8 from 10

Not able to translate at the moment. But

-the guitar on Tunnel 13 reminds the author of Brothers in Arms but with more western vibe

-Janine beautiful melodic Country Rock

-Title track is called country Spiritual.

LE

Do we have more on this? I know the interview is here also, but i didn't see this review?
Proud member of the AMIT crew

OfflineRail King

• Lady writer
« Reply #55 on: March 27, 2024, 02:03:45 PM »
The "Rockenteurs" interview is great. If only Mark (and the rest of the world) would have discovered podcasts earlier! This format is SO much better than anything you'll ever get from radio or TV.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #56 on: March 27, 2024, 02:44:48 PM »
The "Rockenteurs" interview is great. If only Mark (and the rest of the world) would have discovered podcasts earlier! This format is SO much better than anything you'll ever get from radio or TV.

To me it seems we're going backwards.  A podcast is even worse than a radio interview with a proper journalist.  We have TV so I'd rather have visuals and a proper interview too.  The Parkinson show in 2000 was by far the best thing he's ever done.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #57 on: March 27, 2024, 03:40:35 PM »

To me it seems we're going backwards.  A podcast is even worse than a radio interview with a proper journalist.  We have TV so I'd rather have visuals and a proper interview too.  The Parkinson show in 2000 was by far the best thing he's ever done.

It was fine, nothing terribly exciting.

The thing with the Swedish racing car driver dude is the best I can think of right now, if we're not including Arena.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineRail King

• Lady writer
« Reply #58 on: March 27, 2024, 03:50:46 PM »

It was fine, nothing terribly exciting.

The thing with the Swedish racing car driver dude is the best I can think of right now, if we're not including Arena.

Didn't you like the story about how he got the idea to Money for Nothing;D

But seriously, just the fact that they take over an hour. It just leaves room for a little bit more than usual. I'm grateful for that. And I'd love to see him in one of those podcasts that go on for three or four hours, checking off uncle Kingsley in the first minute.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2024, 03:54:22 PM by Rail King »

Offlinestratmad

• Camerado
  • Fan (with a capital F) since 1985
« Reply #59 on: March 27, 2024, 03:55:01 PM »
It’s certainly worth reading if you’ve ever wondered if Mark does Pilates (he does), or if he believes in the afterlife (he does not). :lol
Pilates? Our man still rides a motorcycle in the night, in the rain, in March! I'm a generation younger, and a keen rider, but I would never be able to do that. Maybe I should start doing pilates?  :lol
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Something from the past just comes and stares into your soul...

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.057 seconds with 36 queries.