Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: New album release autumn  (Read 274486 times)

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
Re: New album release autumn
« Reply #750 on: August 31, 2018, 04:57:51 PM »
I know I'll be outnumbered here and I hope Mark doesn't hear it but I don't like the original 1958 LP sound. I much prefer his previous LP, the one he used during the BIA era, and the blue one.

I like his '84 reissue too.  There was a discussion a while back about it.  A friend of mine on FB, who is also on a FB Knopfler group, also prefers it.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #751 on: August 31, 2018, 06:50:29 PM »
I know I'll be outnumbered here and I hope Mark doesn't hear it but I don't like the original 1958 LP sound. I much prefer his previous LP, the one he used during the BIA era, and the blue one.

I like his '84 reissue too.  There was a discussion a while back about it.  A friend of mine on FB, who is also on a FB Knopfler group, also prefers it.

Yeah, I find that one sharper and crunchier.
I am the Iron Fist. Protector of K'un-Lun. Sworn enemy of the Hand.

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #752 on: August 31, 2018, 07:22:23 PM »
Maybe it's something to do with the amps he used in 1985 and what they uses nowadays...
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #753 on: August 31, 2018, 07:24:57 PM »
Maybe it's something to do with the amps he used in 1985 and what they uses nowadays...

I don't think so since the blue LP sounds much better than the 58 to my ears and they both go through the same amp and effects.

Offlineolazabalrok

• Camerado
  • don't burn the pig
« Reply #754 on: August 31, 2018, 08:54:47 PM »

I don't think so since the blue LP sounds much better than the 58 to my ears and they both go through the same amp and effects.

Are there good quality examples of these two played on the same song during the same tour? If not then you can’t really compare because of all the variables.

Also the equipment used 30 years ago compared to a recent one will make the comparing of two different guitars and sounds totally irrelevant, they are so different. Each to one’s taste.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 08:57:57 PM by olazabalrok »

OfflineRolo

• Camerado
  • i tend to be, sometimes, acid
« Reply #755 on: August 31, 2018, 09:07:28 PM »
In my opinion, the 58 Les Paul is Mark's best guitar.
That blue LP used on Mark/Dylan tour is also great. By the way, for me, 2011 was the last year that i hear MK playing intense guitar.

As a guitar player, i always say that thr amplifier is THE key for a great tone. I tend to affirm that the amplifier is 70% against 30% of guitar.
The Bia album has a great tone, but i believe that Neil Dorfsman has a big influence on that tones.
During the BIA Tour, i believe Mark used a 120w Mesa Boogie Head with a 4x12 Celestion Speakers and a BB rack. It was a big, compressed and processed sound.

For me, the Shangi-la album have the best Les Paul tone of Mark's albuns ever.
Funny thing is that i generally dislike a big part of Mark's guitar tones, expecially during his shows.

The worst tones from Mark was the MM Tour and the Tracker Tour.
His bests strats are the Whites ones. The 65' and the 85' (The Bug Strat)

Sorry my poor english.

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #756 on: August 31, 2018, 09:42:35 PM »
I asked Guy a couple of years ago and he confirmed Mark uses less and less effects these days, noticeably delay, reverb and compression. Sometimes it’s ok but in songs like Brothers in Arms and Hill Farmer’s Blues it does lack presence imo. Sultans is a good example for clean tones, especially because it’s been too polished over the last three or four tours. I think the last time Sultans had a good and remarkable guitar sound was during the SL tour.

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
« Reply #757 on: August 31, 2018, 09:48:15 PM »
By the way, for me, 2011 was the last year that i hear MK playing intense guitar.

2019 tour really worries me
A Pensaboy who later became a Pensaghost http://pensaboy.altervista.org/guitar.html

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #758 on: August 31, 2018, 09:59:07 PM »
By the way, for me, 2011 was the last year that i hear MK playing intense guitar.

On a regular basis? I’d say the SL tour. The odd great performance, maybe 2011.

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
« Reply #759 on: August 31, 2018, 10:24:49 PM »
GF: The touring band line-up is in its embryonic stage

That means a tour in 9 months right?  ;D ;D
Proud member of the AMIT crew

Offlineschmonka

• Camerado
« Reply #760 on: August 31, 2018, 10:47:24 PM »

You just know the 2019 Tour set list is going to be RUBBISH!  Just the same old recycled tunes from the last 5 tours - there will be disappointment and complaints.  Suspect there will be more comments about MK being an album only artist - his tours and the choices made just frustrates fans.  (this isn't me criticising MK, I would LOVE to be proved wrong, its just history and the fact MK is MK (and all that that encompasses) proves he will keep it safe/predictable/unchanging/folk-y - but "safe" is another MK'ism for frustrating)  MK really should open the archive, dig deep, and completely overhaul the turgid setlist that has been used over recent tours.  He is never going to have 'Bruce' levels of setlist freedom, but the current line up isnt working anymore. 
Michael Mcintyre - 2009 - Newport - "Ruff as Fuck"

Love Expresso

« Reply #761 on: August 31, 2018, 10:55:53 PM »
Well, it actually IS working. Sold out shows, enthusiastic crowds, good reviews in the media. It's just that us get-a-lifers are punished. The show's concept from their point of view is: See it once. Everybody who attends more than let's say two shows might be suspicious in their eyes, suspicious of being a die-hard-Rudiger-kind-of-fan-get-a-lifer.

LE

OfflineRolo

• Camerado
  • i tend to be, sometimes, acid
« Reply #762 on: August 31, 2018, 11:09:57 PM »
I really dislike almost 100% of the guitar tones from Tracker (album and tour).
The strats are too trebbly and the Les Pauls are too much clean. Far away from the tones from STP and SL.

If the RPD Tour had happened, the tones would be fantastics. During that time, Mark was using some Tube Screamers and big Fender and Soldano amps.

For guitar players, one thing is right. Less notes - More richer and full sound.
Mark follows the opposite... Less notes - Thinner sound (ex: Telegraph Rd).

Lets hope for a miracle in 2019.

Offlinecannibals

• Romeo
« Reply #763 on: September 01, 2018, 11:07:47 AM »

You just know the 2019 Tour set list is going to be RUBBISH!  Just the same old recycled tunes from the last 5 tours - there will be disappointment and complaints.  Suspect there will be more comments about MK being an album only artist - his tours and the choices made just frustrates fans.  (this isn't me criticising MK, I would LOVE to be proved wrong, its just history and the fact MK is MK (and all that that encompasses) proves he will keep it safe/predictable/unchanging/folk-y - but "safe" is another MK'ism for frustrating)  MK really should open the archive, dig deep, and completely overhaul the turgid setlist that has been used over recent tours.  He is never going to have 'Bruce' levels of setlist freedom, but the current line up isnt working anymore.

Guy already said on his forum a few months ago that the setlist need some changes and that they are aware of that. When i’ve read his answer i’ve read it again to make sure... I expect some major changes....

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #764 on: September 01, 2018, 12:12:17 PM »
Yes, probably they need more pipes...
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.039 seconds with 37 queries.