Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Most underrated DS/MK songs  (Read 273 times)

Offlineprivinvest

• Guitar George
  • i am new on here, be gentle
Most underrated DS/MK songs
« on: May 10, 2024, 08:04:15 PM »
It never rains, isn't it? Especially the second half is as good s anything he did and "nobody" knows it. He doesn't play it in concerts (?) Any idea why is that?

Special mentions: Planet of the New Orleans

Offlinestratmad

• Camerado
  • Fan (with a capital F) since 1985
Re: Most underrated DS/MK songs
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2024, 08:49:23 PM »
It never rains, isn't it? Especially the second half is as good s anything he did and "nobody" knows it. He doesn't play it in concerts (?) Any idea why is that?

Oh yes, definitely both! I think there is actually one obscure live version of "INR", or was it "Industrial disease"?
Another one that is totally underrated imho is "Hand in hand", on of my all-time favourites. Did he ever play that live at all?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Something from the past just comes and stares into your soul...

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2024, 09:21:56 PM »
It never rains was performed during the '82 leg of the LOG tour and then dropped .
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

OfflineMatchstickman

• Camerado
« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:22:40 PM »

Oh yes, definitely both! I think there is actually one obscure live version of "INR", or was it "Industrial disease"?
Another one that is totally underrated imho is "Hand in hand", on of my all-time favourites. Did he ever play that live at all?

Hand in Hand was never performed live, if I'm not mistaken.

It Never Rains is "good", but a two-faced song if there ever was one, starting off with rainbows and sunshine, and then taking you to hell. That may have been the idea, but it is somewhat jarring, and it lacks a hook.

Offlinestratmad

• Camerado
« Reply #4 on: Today at 12:53:21 PM »

It Never Rains is "good", but a two-faced song if there ever was one, starting off with rainbows and sunshine, and then taking you to hell. That may have been the idea, but it is somewhat jarring, and it lacks a hook.

Both songs are maybe linked to Holly Vincent, or some other relationship that didn't work out.
INR imho is a lot about being used and exploited, some sort of reckoning, and lyric-wise it's pretty negative right from the beginning, despite the "happy" keyboard melody and the fairground imagery.

OfflineMatchstickman

• Camerado
« Reply #5 on: Today at 01:05:13 PM »

Both songs are maybe linked to Holly Vincent, or some other relationship that didn't work out.
INR imho is a lot about being used and exploited, some sort of reckoning, and lyric-wise it's pretty negative right from the beginning, despite the "happy" keyboard melody and the fairground imagery.

You may be right about the lyrics.

They are some of his best vitriolic lyrics - accusing someone of screwing people on the way up because "you" thought you were never coming down. It's passionate enough for a failed relationship, but seems to about someone making it in (the music?) business.

Offlinestratmad

• Camerado
« Reply #6 on: Today at 01:30:28 PM »
Yes, Holly was trying to make it with her band, trying to use MK's fame. So he would have been the one that was "screwed over".
And her career didn't work out the way it was planned either.
Intersting biography, if only half of it is true: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holly_Beth_Vincent.

OfflineMatchstickman

• Camerado
« Reply #7 on: Today at 09:58:11 PM »
Yes, Holly was trying to make it with her band, trying to use MK's fame. So he would have been the one that was "screwed over".
And her career didn't work out the way it was planned either.
Intersting biography, if only half of it is true: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holly_Beth_Vincent.

Interesting! The music/girl connection makes sense. It had always seemed odd to me that the lyrics seemed sexual. ("Hands up smothering your screams", etc.) Pretty dark, this one.

Onlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #8 on: Today at 10:53:59 PM »
Les Boys.  Great melody and lyrics.  So many either misinterpret it or don't take it seriously because of the subject matter, but it's a really good song IMHO.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.028 seconds with 39 queries.