Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Best 01 Recording?  (Read 7896 times)

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
Best 01 Recording?
« on: August 15, 2009, 08:35:47 PM »
Just realised I don't have a recording from the 2001 tour on my iPod, which do you think is the best?

If memory serves there was not a complete soundboard recording from this tour.  :( Closest I think was Hamburg, that has one audience track added? But I seem to remember it's quite compressed an lifeless sounding. But anyway, opinions welcome.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Love Expresso

Re: Best 01 Recording?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2009, 08:41:49 PM »
Chicago 2001 is an audience recording but has a spectacular good quality. But the mistakes at "Sultans" often spoil the show for me. But a great
sound, and MK was very talkative that evening. Great Calling Elvis, even great Walk of Life. It seems the Hamburg radio recording which was originally done be the NDR2 team has been broadcasted by other stations like german WDR, and they didn

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2009, 09:02:20 PM »
I'm not technical so I may be using the wrong terms. All I know is that, from memory, the 01 Hamburg recording sounded a bit "flat" and lifeless compared to, say, Hambur 96 or Vaison 96.

Love Expresso

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2009, 09:12:57 PM »
Yes, me the same, I cannot describe it any better. I only know that ndr2 IS using compression and so there a no dynamics on a broadcast, low parts are
nearly the same level as louder or more dynamic parts. But the whole show was not the best from the tour. The shortest it also was. And Calling Elvis had some sound and monitoring problems. And What It Is really sounds awful from that evening.

The whole 2001 I recall from memory as a very weak one compared to the later tours. As cool as Mike Henderson looked, he and also Geraint Watkins
were "responsible" for a lot of greenies, minor mistakes and overall a little worse performance. But Speedway at that tour, with changing one acoustic
guitar after the other, so that finally three guitars were changed to electric, was one of the coolest "show effects" I have seen from him. Far cooler than the tea episode I think. Pyroman of course was also great. But everything I saw (there is also a Toronto bootleg, audio and video), was not as good as
nearly every crowfly show.

Just my two cents.

LE

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2009, 10:01:41 PM »
Actually, I forgot about the LA matrix, that's probably up there.

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2009, 10:05:53 PM »
My 2001 favourite

Los Angeles
Greak Theatre May 20th 2001
IEM stereo source

DISC ONE:

1. Calling Elvis
2. Walk of life
3. R
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 10:23:12 PM by ds1984 »
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2009, 10:27:47 PM »

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2009, 10:37:49 PM »
The whole 2001 I recall from memory as a very weak one compared to the later tours. As cool as Mike Henderson looked, he and also Geraint Watkins were "responsible" for a lot of greenies, minor mistakes and overall a little worse performance. But Speedway at that tour, with changing one acoustic guitar after the other, so that finally three guitars were changed to electric, was one of the coolest "show effects" I have seen from him. Far cooler than the tea episode I think. Pyroman of course was also great. But everything I saw (there is also a Toronto bootleg, audio and video), was not as good as
nearly every crowfly show.

Just my two cents.

LE

I must agree to most of what you wrote (Mike playing way too loud also) but 2001 does feature one of the coolest version of R&J I ever heard with intro played by Richard, the great Junkie Doll, the greasy Pyroman. But in 2005 there was this "ventre mou" in the middle of the show following the sometime erratic rendition of SOS. But the Thursday night at the RAH was really a great night.

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2009, 12:04:54 AM »
lucca was awesome too. as was brussels, with the soundchecks...
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlinelocalhero1986

• Lady writer
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2009, 12:09:53 AM »
Don't forget toronto! It's both audience and soundboard recording. Who's your baby now, Sailing to philadelphia, Brothers in arms and Speedway at nazareth are released on singles and bonus discs. Lucca is a nice recording as well but the sound quality is not as good as toronto.

Unfortunately the soundboard recording I have is not complete... Walk of life / Who's your baby now / Sailing to philadelphia / Junkie doll / Speedway at nazareth / Pyroman / Brothers in arms / So far away

Of course, you can add some other soundboard recordings to create a "complete" concert.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 12:12:26 AM by localhero1986 »

OfflineHoops McCann

• Dan
  • Founder
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2009, 01:24:33 AM »
I actually thought the 2001 tour was one of the best. I think Nimes 2001 (especially the two camera DVD) was my favorite, but it's been a while since I listened to any of this stuff, so there may be other great '01 shows as well. The weakest tour to me was the MK/EH tour a few years back.
"...I was prompted to check out some of the threads you have going which are often unintentionally funny, wildly speculative and sometimes just plain deluded..." - Ed Bicknell

https://soundcloud.com/sunday_driver

OfflineDarling Pretty

• Lady writer
  • DS Fan since April 1987-Miami Vice episode S02E03
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2009, 03:20:23 PM »
The STP tour was the best in my opinion so far.
Very cool US gigs and the south american dates are legendary.
Remember SAN with the guitar switching (you are absolutely right Expresso)
The Bass smash in Pyroman,Wag the Dog and Junkie Doll.
Also very cool setlist changes 2001. And: MK did a lot of signing after and before the shows.
He was very relaxed on that tour.

Chad Cromwell added very dynamics drums.

The L.A. in ear recording is the most complete SB recording.

Very good audience recordings are: Vancouver,Seattle and Portland
One of the longest Gigs and also with a good sound: Buenos Aires

But the strongest show was Detroit. What great versions. And MK was in a very good mood. Always jokin'...
Love will find a Way

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2009, 03:43:37 PM »
Right now I think that the STP 2001 tour was the worst MK tour ever...

Mike Henderson and Geraint Watkins were on the band and even they are good musicians, they were not musicians for the MK band at all, they were problaly very low quality musicians in comparation with all the rest of musicians that played with MK in his tours. Actually Mike Henderson just make horrible noises with his guitar, but played quite correct with the harmonica and the violin, also quite nice on mandolin. Geraint Watkins was correct in piano / hammond / accordion, but just that. Matt Rollings was far far far better.

The high point of that tout was Chad Cromwell, that played their best tour with MK, and the trio Junkie Doll / Pyroman / Speedway made the end of the show fucking amazing, together with the MFN version with the delta blues intro and the amazing Chad drum solo at the very beguining made that part of the show one of my favourites ever.

The rest of the show was quite boring and very low profile played
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineboboDS

• Camerado
  • Alchemy DVD!
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2009, 06:02:01 PM »
I think it was one of the best tours, great setlist, Chad Cromwell (most people would kill me if I said I liked him better then DC), but also the beginning of downfall of Sos in my opinion.

I liked the Denver 2001 show and the already mentioned chicago 2001 from aud recordings, and LA iem monitor sbd recording. I don't like the sound of lucca and hamburg. I'm not at home right now, but if i remember correctly the hamburg show was an fm broadcast?
It's hot in the desert
But I'm cool in the zone
People call me lucky
But I say you make your own

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2009, 10:27:55 PM »
I loved the StP tour personally and there are a lot of very good sounding recordings available from it.  Unfortunately Bilbao is one of the best concerts and one of the worst sounding!  Lots of nice versions of Sultans from this tour though.  Although it was the first tour where it was played in the shortened version, it still had plenty of energy and the version from San Francisco 18.05.01 (among many others) is fantastic IMO.  As for a whole concert in good sound, well Newark, Minneapolis, Lyon, they're all good.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.038 seconds with 42 queries.