Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Mark the Guitarist on ODR  (Read 1702 times)

Offlinehunter v2.0

• Camerado
  • i am new on here, be gentle
Re: Mark the Guitarist on ODR
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2024, 12:28:26 AM »
But considering the fact that Mark is churning out quite a few less-than-stellar songs (pretty mediocre many of them as a matter of fact), I wish he'd spent more time with the guitar ...

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2024, 08:26:58 AM »
I have to say that I'm quite happy with MK guitar work in this record.

After the last tour, the pandemic and the news that he was struggling to even move, the shake in his hands etc etc etc, I was fearing that the record would have very little guitar, and the truth is that it has a lot of, in every song he plays betwen two and three guitars, all of them have a distinctive riff, even some have good solos that I wasn't expecting.

He says that he stopped touring to be more time with the family and write more songs, but we all know that, being this true, it's not entirely the reason why, so I'm happy he tried his best to play things that fit with the songs, and even risk in some songs with solos. It's true that having such a great recording studio, when you can stop and repeat as many times as you need, and having a great engineer like Guy next to you makes it easy, but there is also a need to be in the mood to bother doing multiple takes until you have a good one when you struggle to play.

I'm happy with this new record, with how the songs are, and with his playing and I hope he can at least keep it this way for next record!
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2024, 09:04:49 AM »
I'm just thinking what are you really expecting at this stage in his life? There are some very powerful solo's, simple yes but these songs need nothing of his younger caliber. Indeed there arevsome spaces where there could have been something but it's not the be all and end all. As for the inaccuracy as you call it, we'll Blimey it's part of the 'knopfler bend' going into the next note....Fantastic album in my eyes...

I totally agree with you Knopflerfan. Our man is almost 75. He is not the guitar god only anymore. But my goodness, what an album he released. It is the highest quality of songwriting, lyrics, music as you can dream of. We already know for years that there are not the old DS solo’s. Didn’t expect it this time either. But what we got is a truly gem. Everything fits together. Had about 5 listens of the whole album and some more to some songs. It seems to me that there are no skippers. That’s new to me. Listening the total album again now. For me it seems it will be the best solo album as a whole.

Hi Ingrid!   Lovely to see you here again - I've missed you.  :)

I have to agree with everything you have said about this amazing album.  I love it and it is an album that I listen to from beginning to end with no skippers.   There is much more beautiful guitar on the album than I had anticipated and Mark's voice is gorgeous too, of course!    There are also many lovely bonus songs too, especially the five CD bonus songs.  I am still digesting the four vinyl bonus songs!
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2024, 09:08:12 AM »
His unique touch, tone and phrasing are still there and there is no one on this planet that will ever be able to sound like him. His guitar playing on this album made me emotional and some songs grab you by the throat and don't let go. Amazing album.
DG does. but that is about it :-)
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2024, 09:11:30 AM »
for me it is the very first mk album that has no skippers whatsoever, and yes, there are no ToL like solo's on it, but considering i have been listening to it non-stop since thursday, it is save to say i do not miss it. if i want that, i just switch to the enormous catalogue of live recordings we have and pull out something like Uniondale 85 and go berserk
1 happy camper
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

OfflineSilvertown

• Lady writer
« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2024, 11:44:58 AM »
For me the playing and guitar parts on the songs are much better than I expected. And although there are lead part notes that even I can play, there is still that MK touch and tone that I absolutely love.

Offlinearthurvanb

• Guitar George
  • You and Your Friend
« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2024, 12:20:16 PM »
For the first time in years with his new albums I was captivated after a quick first listen. 75% of the tracks were an instant classic for me! So much subtle guitar tracks. I’m not a really technical listener so I don’t catch any ‘mistakes’. Basically the album for me has this amazing melancholic feeling to it, which I personally have attached to Mark’s music. For me Janine and Before My Train Comes are my current favorites.

The man is 75 and getting older every day and I feel feel so blessed he still puts out new albums for us. I don’t expect any up tempo rocky music anymore and when you give up that expectation you’ll find the small touches, the awesome stories, the ability by Mark to write about anything small from a glimpse of life of a person on the street to a bacon roll and what it says about society. Some find it boring, it’s just what you’re looking for!

Offlinermarques821

• Lady writer
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2024, 12:24:35 PM »
He says that he stopped touring to be more time with the family and write more songs, but we all know that, being this true, it's not entirely the reason why, so I'm happy he tried his best to play things that fit with the songs, and even risk in some songs with solos.
In one of the recent German interviews, he directly said he was quitting touring because he was "increasingly reaching his physical limits" and didn't "want to die on a European highway".
It's not news for us, but it's nice that he acknowledges that instead of using the "time with family" excuse.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2024, 12:27:19 PM by rmarques821 »

OfflineRolo

• Camerado
  • i tend to be, sometimes, acid
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2024, 01:32:41 PM »
Like LE, i consider myself a very critic of Mark's recent works (Tracker and DTRW).
When i read (again) about 'multitude of songs' or 'covering lots of groud' then, after the 2 firsts singles I said: - Oh, fck... here comes another sht
After Two Pairs Of Hands and a review that said that ODR is way worse than the magnificent DTRW, my hopes about a good album emerged from the ashes LOL.

As the topic here is about guitar playing, well, in my opinion, Mark plays GREAT on this album. Tone, phasing, feel, captive melodies... very well played. Much better than DTRW IMO.

I agree that Scavengers Yard and Tunnel 13 could have a, well, a glimpse from the past. But it not means that Mark don't play great on this songs, its the opposite. He plays great, it was his choice to not put a proper guitar solo on this tracks.

Saying about my own experience, it's harder to put a solo that reflects the main melody without been a exact copy of it than make a killer solo.

ODR has a impressive guitar job from Mark, Richard and Greg. And Mark shines on every track.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2024, 02:39:31 PM »
I can't believe I'm the only one with the same thoughts.  Take the title track for example:  it starts for giving me vibes of a classic Knopfler track along the lines of Are We In Trouble but doesn't build up to anything after the first verse.  It plods along at the same slow pace and low energy all through.  No extra licks or power chords, the singing is just as low key and then at the end we get a 5 second "solo" before it's handed over by Greg for the vast majority of the play out.

Then in Janine we get one of the faster paced songs and a lovely "solo," but once more just as we begin to settle down to listen it stops!  I'm not asking for a 5 minute solo, please don't patronise me, but I do think that he would never have played such a short solo in the past and it appears to end abruptly to me.

In Nothing But Rain he sound like he's trying to see how slowly he can play the guitar!  It sounds very strained.

Before My Train Comes just has recycled licks from Silver Eagle.

It's not about tone or touch, it's about the work sounding contrived, uninspired and drafting in Greg to take over solos for him.

"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineRolo

• Camerado
« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2024, 03:42:18 PM »
I can't believe I'm the only one with the same thoughts.

I totally understand your thoughts.
If i go into the details on MK guitar soloing parts, then your comments makes total sense.

When the solos are 'improvised', i miss a better construction of them, mainly the ending part. The solos does not have a 'finish phrase'. They ends abruptly or not have a proper finish. See, i am going into the details. I am looking only as a "guitar critic"

Take the title track for example:  it starts for giving me vibes of a classic Knopfler track along the lines of Are We In Trouble but doesn't build up to anything after the first verse.  It plods along at the same slow pace and low energy all through.  No extra licks or power chords, the singing is just as low key and then at the end we get a 5 second "solo" before it's handed over by Greg for the vast majority of the play out.

Well, i didn't like this song.
This one and Black Tie Jobs are the skippers for me.
Watch Me Gone has, in my opinion, one of poorests guitar works/vocals from MK.

Then in Janine we get one of the faster paced songs and a lovely "solo," but once more just as we begin to settle down to listen it stops!  I'm not asking for a 5 minute solo, please don't patronise me, but I do think that he would never have played such a short solo in the past and it appears to end abruptly to me.

Janine has a lovely solo indeed. However, it's played almost by half. Starts beautifully, the melody, tone, but... lacks a entire end.

I agree that could be a better solo with a proper ending part.

[/quote]

In Nothing But Rain he sound like he's trying to see how slowly he can play the guitar!  It sounds very strained.

Before My Train Comes just has recycled licks from Silver Eagle.

Well, vocal melodies are the same as guitar licks.
Scavengers Yard has some No Can Do copies.
Janine has a LOT from Beachcombing.
Smart Money has the I'm The Fool effect.
Sweeter Than The Rain has the very same 'lick' from I Dug Up a Diamond.

MK has always copies himself.
It grows since he went in solo career.

Maybe, for me, Tracker and DTRW are my 'hated ones' only because Mark's attempted to do something 'new'.

It's not about tone or touch, it's about the work sounding contrived, uninspired and drafting in Greg to take over solos for him.

Hmm... as said above, i understand.
And speaking only as a guitar critique, i almost agree in everything.

In a perfect One Deep River, I would spend 2 more weeks with MK on the studio just for records guitar solos.

Two Pairs Of Hands is almost perfect as a craft. However, i miss some good phrasing at the end. And i would try do do Mark to change the intro a little.

Ahead Of The Game would be nice without the Fletcher Noises and a malicious guitar solo.

Scavengers Yard. Well, this song NEEDs a killer solo.

Janine lacks the end part of the solo.

OfflineMillionaire Blues

• Camerado
« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2024, 03:46:59 PM »
Mark's guitar playing is absolutely sublime throughout the entire album, touches the heart like no other musician.
Suits the songs just perfectly as always.
Congrats Mark and Band on an amazing album!!
 :clap

Offlinehunter v2.0

• Camerado
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2024, 04:05:11 PM »
Let's also keep in mind that there is no-one in the whole, wide world except the nutters and geeks in here who knows or even cares about the fact that quotes his own solos or musical ideas. This is the huge downside of being a longtime fan; very often you don't see the forest for the trees.

This album in particular should be enjoyed as one complete meal. The focus on individual songs, details of individual songs, not to mention the bonus tracks, I feel is very distracting.

OfflineRolo

• Camerado
« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2024, 04:30:50 PM »
Mark's guitar playing is absolutely sublime throughout the entire album, touches the heart like no other musician.
Suits the songs just perfectly as always.
Congrats Mark and Band on an amazing album!!
 :clap

I agree.
The album is sublime.
Very well crafted and very touching as well.
A trully masterpiece.

Let's also keep in mind that there is no-one in the whole, wide world except the nutters and geeks in here who knows or even cares about the fact that quotes his own solos or musical ideas. This is the huge downside of being a longtime fan; very often you don't see the forest for the trees.

This album in particular should be enjoyed as one complete meal. The focus on individual songs, details of individual songs, not to mention the bonus tracks, I feel is very distracting.

Agreed!
Listening to this album focused only in guitar playing is a sacrilege.
The album is fantastic and very, very well played.

Offlinepeterromer

• Camerado
« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2024, 04:48:03 PM »
To me only two tracks are worth listening to unfortunately. The Scavengers Yard and The Living End. The rest are really, really boring. The good thing is I did not expect anything, as to the recent development and lack of upcoming tour and everything. Those two tracks are pure gold.
Cheers Peter

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.044 seconds with 38 queries.