Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: New Acoustic Guitar  (Read 416 times)

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
New Acoustic Guitar
« on: May 10, 2024, 12:00:14 PM »
A question for the guitar players on here. I am in the market for a new guitar, in fact my wife told me to buy one :) What I am looking for is one for fingerstyle playing, as that is what I do, thanks to you know who ;) so, I want to be able to play Knopfler songs, and Mike Oldfield style, but the acoustic side of his music, I would also like a guitar where I can comfortably stuff Floyd, The Beatles etc. I have a budget of about £300 with wiggle room for the right guitar. I have been looking at the Fender CD-60SCE Dreadnought, has anyone played it? (I haven't) or any other suggestions?
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
Re: New Acoustic Guitar
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2024, 12:22:12 PM »
Love my Fender electrics but I wouldn't buy a Fender acoustic personally.

Are you going to be plugging it in, ie do you need the cutaway and electronics?

If not I would advise a non cutaway, and for fingerstyle maybe a smaller bodied guitar.

I find it hard to look past Yamaha at that end of the market, maybe something like this?

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/200218356035008--yamaha-fs800-ntii-natural
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2024, 12:39:17 PM »
Thanks for your advice. I probably won't plug it in, but, I was not sure really, that is why I though the option is there with the Fender, the cutaway thing is because a lot of Oldfield's acoustic stuff is high up the neck. But, I do like the Yamaha, I will have to look for a store near Southampton for me to try it.

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2024, 01:58:58 PM »
From experience its a no no to Fender Acoustics, had one years ago and hated it. I must at some point look at an acoustic but I love my Strats too much
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

OfflineSilvertown

• Lady writer
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2024, 02:06:51 PM »
Yamaha might a good choice indeed. If you can find Martin replica Sigma, they are pretty good ones. I am now temporarily abroad and have only 49 euros travel size Harley Benton with smaller scale with me and find it also surprisingly good, although the sound is quite dark.

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2024, 02:57:38 PM »
Thanks for the advice everyone. The Fender I mentioned above was on a site recommending fingerstyle guitars for different budgets, but, I prefer to take the advice from people on here who have played these things.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2024, 06:07:24 PM »
I should qualify my remarks by saying that I have never actually played that particular model so I am generalising about all Fender acoustics. It could be that one is a fine guitar.

What I would say is there can be big differences even within the same model when you are dealing at this more budget friendly end of the market so worth getting to a guitar shop and trying a few, even if it costs you a bit more than buying online.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinestratmad

• Camerado
  • Fan (with a capital F) since 1985
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2024, 07:44:24 PM »
Don't know about the Fenders, really... I tried some a few years ago, but I just didn't like the sound of them somehow.
Maybe you could get your hands on a used Taylor Mini?
Another brand that surprised me completely is Harley Benton. The newer ones sound and look awesome, both the acoustics and the electric ones or even archtops. I read that they are fabricated in Indonesia, which makes them a lot cheaper than the competition, but they seem to be really well built.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/steel_string_acoustic_guitars.html
« Last Edit: May 11, 2024, 12:59:30 PM by stratmad »
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Something from the past just comes and stares into your soul...

OfflineBanjo99uk

• Romeo
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2024, 01:37:14 AM »
Hope its ok to piggy back this thread but my teenage daughter has asked me to teach her guitar (completely out of the blue). I can get around one but not very well. I have been looking for an easy to play low action nylon acoustic for her to learn on. Can’t have too thick a fretboard as she has small hands. I can’t play with pick so can only teach her finger picking so don’t want electric. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2024, 10:36:34 AM »
Hope its ok to piggy back this thread but my teenage daughter has asked me to teach her guitar (completely out of the blue). I can get around one but not very well. I have been looking for an easy to play low action nylon acoustic for her to learn on. Can’t have too thick a fretboard as she has small hands. I can’t play with pick so can only teach her finger picking so don’t want electric. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Morning, this lovely Fender model was for sale in my local guitar shop - only 5 mins away. Looked pretty good...may be of help?

https://www.guitarmania.co.uk/product/fender-esc80-3-4-classical/

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2024, 11:21:32 AM »
I should qualify my remarks by saying that I have never actually played that particular model so I am generalising about all Fender acoustics. It could be that one is a fine guitar.

What I would say is there can be big differences even within the same model when you are dealing at this more budget friendly end of the market so worth getting to a guitar shop and trying a few, even if it costs you a bit more than buying online.

Yeah, I agree Dusty I'd rather pay more for a guitar in a guitar shop rather than just ordering one. It's the feel, the sound etc

Offlinestratmad

• Camerado
  • Fan (with a capital F) since 1985
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2024, 01:02:04 PM »
Yeah, of course it has too feel right!
If you order a new one from a dealer, you can always send it back if you don't like it, of course :-)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Something from the past just comes and stares into your soul...

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2024, 01:37:27 PM »
I would always without doubt play one in store, you could hand me a lovely Strat, but if it doesn't feel right in my hands I won't but it. Who knows, I might find a brand I hadn't considered, I guess it depends what's in the store.

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2024, 05:16:59 PM »
I would always without doubt play one in store, you could hand me a lovely Strat, but if it doesn't feel right in my hands I won't but it. Who knows, I might find a brand I hadn't considered, I guess it depends what's in the store.

Good luck in your venture....keep us posted

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2024, 09:27:24 AM »

Good luck in your venture....keep us posted

:thumbsup

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.032 seconds with 33 queries.