Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: The negligence of the Alchemy Release - 38 years.  (Read 3844 times)

OfflineBrunno Nunes

• Camerado
The negligence of the Alchemy Release - 38 years.
« on: July 02, 2022, 04:09:21 AM »
I don't understand why until today Alchemy has not been released in full, at least in audio. :think

When the Compact Disc Digital Audio standard emerged in 1980, it would have a duration of 74 minutes, and so it has lasted until today, a CD has a maximum capacity of 74 minutes, an LP has a maximum capacity of 30 minutes per side. The Alchemy concert in its entirety, with all 4 songs left out has a time of 1:56:20, it is clear that in this way, in all cases Alchemy could be released in its entirety, there is no excuse for that, not even in the 80's. I did a lot of research on this over time, a double lp has a capacity of 2:00:00 hours of recording, however, they released Alchemy on LP with 1:28:50, an experience hearing that does not last an hour and a half.  :smack A double cd has a maximum capacity of 2:28:00 (74 min +74 min) and the official release of Alchemy is 1:33:59, (because they added the song Love Over Gold and a few more seconds on some tracks). So going back there, the full Alchemy show experience is 1:56:20, (with Industrial, LOG, Twisting by The Pool and Portobello Bello), would fit on LP, CD, VHS, DVD, Blu-ray. .
 It was never released because initially Mark Knopfler for some reason didn't like it, or didn't think enough the tracks that were left out, that at the time (1984)? The second hypothesis is more evident, pure disregard for their own history, memory and the band's fans, that's all. They gave us a maximum of 1:33:59 of something that had 1:56:20, they keep in a schizophrenic way little more than 23 minutes of experience of 4 wonderful songs that could close the cycle of a real concert experience from the LOG tour have been doing this for 38 years.  :disbelief
« Last Edit: July 02, 2022, 04:13:01 AM by Brunno Nunes »
Let's go down to the waterline!

my blog : https://universodirestraits.blogspot.com

OfflineKlaus74

• Camerado
  • i am new on here, be gentle
Re: The negligence of the Alchemy Release - 38 years.
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2022, 12:17:50 PM »
Hello Brunno. Yes, a good idea to do a little philosophy on Alchemy. :think
Some techincal update: Today a CD-Album can carry more than 74min with todays technical possibilities. There are CD-Albums, not by Dire Straits, that carry up to 78-79min capacity. I have bought that Alchemy 2-CD-Set in 1988 on the orange-swirl Vertigo-CD-Label. The first edition of 1984 carries a blue artwork on the discs. The 2-LP-Set left out the song Love over gold. 
Maybe, it can be possible to re-release a full Alchemy on 2-LP-set or as an expanded edition on 3-LP-Set, but that is a personal idea from my side only.
We are fools to make war

OfflineBrunno Nunes

• Camerado
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2022, 02:48:31 PM »
Hello Brunno. Yes, a good idea to do a little philosophy on Alchemy. :think
Some techincal update: Today a CD-Album can carry more than 74min with todays technical possibilities. There are CD-Albums, not by Dire Straits, that carry up to 78-79min capacity. I have bought that Alchemy 2-CD-Set in 1988 on the orange-swirl Vertigo-CD-Label. The first edition of 1984 carries a blue artwork on the discs. The 2-LP-Set left out the song Love over gold. 
Maybe, it can be possible to re-release a full Alchemy on 2-LP-set or as an expanded edition on 3-LP-Set, but that is a personal idea from my side only.

A CD has a maximum capacity of 74 minutes, an LP has a maximum capacity of 30 minutes per side. The Alchemy concert in its entirety, with all 4 songs left out has a time of 1:56:20. Let's do the math, it was always possible to release Alchemy in its entirety, with all the tracks, since the 80's, they didn't do it until today because they didn't want to, it never needed to be a triple lp, a double lp has plenty of space, imagine in a double cd... :think :smack

OfflineBrunno Nunes

• Camerado
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2022, 02:58:05 PM »
The double lp has a capacity of 2:00:00 hours of recording, however, they released Alchemy on LP with 1:28:50, that is, there is space for about 32:00 of music, the 4 songs that remained from the outside and there would still only be spaces left. The double cd has a maximum capacity of 2:28:00, this fact reveals that the problem was never lack of space in these media, I had hoped for the release on dvd and blu-ray, but it was a silly expectation, it is much more comfortable milking sheep, releasing the LP BIA on the 15th, without recording leftovers, if there are people who pay for it, I imagine there would be many more people paying for an Alchemy release in full.

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2022, 03:03:52 PM »
A lp has a capacity of 24 minutes on proper quality, and the cd actually has a capacity of 79 minutes.

You can put 30 minutes on a lp side, yes, but of very low quality, nobody would dare to do that. Actually, they did once with OES, but they had to put it on very low volume to avoid the loose of quality as much as they could.

The thing about Alchemy is they put on cd what was released on LP and cassette back on the day, that's why the cd had LOG that was present on the cassette but not on the LP.

When cd was the standard, the idea was to translate into CDs what was released on the day on LP. Release extended or more complete edition is something that has to come from the record company, or pushed by the artist through the record company, but, you know, the artist is MK.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2022, 03:07:13 PM by jbaent »
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineBrunno Nunes

• Camerado
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2022, 05:43:49 PM »
A lp has a capacity of 24 minutes on proper quality, and the cd actually has a capacity of 79 minutes.

You can put 30 minutes on a lp side, yes, but of very low quality, nobody would dare to do that. Actually, they did once with OES, but they had to put it on very low volume to avoid the loose of quality as much as they could.

The thing about Alchemy is they put on cd what was released on LP and cassette back on the day, that's why the cd had LOG that was present on the cassette but not on the LP.

When cd was the standard, the idea was to translate into CDs what was released on the day on LP. Release extended or more complete edition is something that has to come from the record company, or pushed by the artist through the record company, but, you know, the artist is MK.
Ok, however, I think if the entire concert has a time of 1:56:20,. could this not contain in the capacity of a double cd? And what about the video? A VHS would cover the entire concert, since it's less than two hours, a dvd or Blu-ray would even fit extras... Anyway, the last word is MK's and we already know how it works so far...

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2022, 07:31:10 PM »

Ok, however, I think if the entire concert has a time of 1:56:20,. could this not contain in the capacity of a double cd? And what about the video? A VHS would cover the entire concert, since it's less than two hours, a dvd or Blu-ray would even fit extras... Anyway, the last word is MK's and we already know how it works so far...

Exactly
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineKlaus74

• Camerado
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2022, 07:32:51 PM »
Hi jbaent. Yes, you are right with the technical facts about the duration on an acutal vinyl-disc or an actual CD-Album. That´s comparable to my thoughts at the beginning of that thread.
Yes, we also don´t know, what kind of DS or MK album will be released in the near future in however what format or edition. It will be a big surprise if some neccessary or non-neccessary editions will see the light in the future. Let´s just wait or it, or not.  :think
To compare the vintage Alchemy-2-LP-editions, according to my knowledge and audio-tests, the Japanese edition, the UK-Edition, the US-Warner-Bros-editions are well produced and very good sounding, also the German edition.
I don´t know if a new edition of Alchemy will be interesting, except it will be a very well produced 180-gramm vinyl edition, on 2- or 3-LP-Set with "specials", like additional missing live-tracks, additional live-pics or some new liner notes for the cover, or as a fine MFSL 45-rpm-cut-version or as a half-speed-mastering-version.  But again, it is a personal idea by my side.  :think

By the way: Alchemy 2-LP-Set is acutally highly demanded on the used-record-markets, like on record-fairs, or mostly from fleamarkets, second-hand-stores with vinyl-offers and so son. On my last flea-market visits i could see some more people, wich are looking for Dire Straits records, incl. Alchemy. On the electronic marketplaces some UK-traders calls ridicuously high prices for that records, but i think, they don´t will sell them. But it is interesting to see such behaviour on the record-collectors community, but i don´t have a clear answer for that.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2022, 07:41:49 PM by Klaus74 »
We are fools to make war

Offlinegoon525

• Camerado
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2022, 10:39:04 PM »
Actually, although rare on pop albums, I had plenty of classical lps that played for around 30 minutes per side - Mozart piano concertos, for instance. They didn’t greatly suffer from this length - but there was always a reluctance from those cutting pop vinyl to follow suit.

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2022, 01:17:02 AM »
CD 650 Mb = 75 min
CD 700 Mb = 80 min

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2022, 01:19:43 AM »
one of most famous examples of vinyl quality being "reduced" for a song length is the "hey Jude" single

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2022, 02:42:26 PM »
Okay, so a couple of the less popular songs were omitted, but it doesn't begin to compare with how they trashed the On the Night release!  That's another story though.  Alchemy remains a fantastic souvenir from the LOG tour and is by far the best show of the tour released almost complete and unedited.

Portobello wouldn't be included due to the band intro - nobody is interested listening to that sitting at home.  They cut that out of Tunnel of Love at Wembley Arena '85 when broadcasting The Tube.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2022, 02:50:31 PM by dmg »
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2022, 03:55:02 PM »
nobody is interested listening to that sitting at home

I love to hear Mark introducing the band and that each instrument stops after being named !

in 2008 he did the contrary : inroducing each musician who added his part each time after being named

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2022, 04:40:37 PM »
nobody is interested listening to that sitting at home

I love to hear Mark introducing the band and that each instrument stops after being named !

in 2008 he did the contrary : inroducing each musician who added his part each time after being named

I think the only time I enjoyed it was in 1985 during TOL but that was made interesting by all the noodling around.  Nothing else has come close to that for me.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2022, 07:47:17 PM »

Don't remember that hapening in 2008 but I certainly remember that happened at the start of Postcards in 2015....

« Last Edit: July 03, 2022, 07:51:41 PM by Knopflerfan »
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.054 seconds with 36 queries.