Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: A Newbie Here  (Read 7262 times)

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
Re: A Newbie Here
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2013, 05:12:11 PM »
I agreed with the depth in the DS songs.  I love both DS and solo stuff just equally the same.  I couldn't imagine Mark making the same type of music today  he did during the DS era.  It just seems unfitting for him. Love how his songs evolved with the time we are in.

Haven't seen Wag the dog yet ! Is it that good a film ?

I would highly recommend it.  Hoffman and de Niro are a great duo and it's pretty funny too.

dmg, thanks  for the recommendation.  I have to find time to sit down and watch it.  Apart from " local Hero" I haven't watched any other movie film scores. Any of them worth watching ? Cal, Metroland, last exit to Brooklyn, princess bride, a shot at glory ?

I suppose it depends on what tickles ones' fancy!  I like Comfort and Joy but perhaps it isn't the best made film of the lot,  Last Exit would surely take that accolade.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflinexxFordiexx

• Camerado
  • Knopfler is KING!
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2013, 06:05:15 PM »
The Princess Bride is an utter classic. :)
Fordie

A long time ago came a man on the track......

Offlinenababo

• Camerado
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2013, 06:30:41 PM »

"Comfort and joy" is a little silly, but in my opinion all the others worth the time. Well, it counts also to C&J, when it comes to mind that it was somewhat based on a true story.
Love over gold, mind over matter

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2013, 07:44:07 PM »

"Comfort and joy" is a little silly, but in my opinion all the others worth the time. Well, it counts also to C&J, when it comes to mind that it was somewhat based on a true story.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glasgow_Ice_Cream_Wars

I haven't actually watched The Princess Bride because I just can't abide the fantasy genre and it's really a children's film anyway.  Halliwell's legendary Film Guide gives it one star and says of it: "rather strained fantasy with occasional bright moments."  The song Storybook Love did receive an Academy Award nomination though.

Last Exit gets three out of a maximum four stars.  It's also the only time Mark's name appears in italics meaning a "contribution of a particularly high standard."  Halliwell is notoriously strict, but honest on his ratings!

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2013, 12:13:08 PM »
Well here is my one cent about the films. I can say that the music in some of the films is superb, but we are all here for this reason , I guess.
I tend to grade the movies, with days and times that are good to try them.
Saturday night is probably the best grade. You are rather relaxed from the previous week, not thinking of the next and so many things to do like go out. So staying in for a movie should really worth it. Sunday night movies are the movies you see, in order to allow time to pass easy. It is not a bad thing, I think Tuesday is the worse, where you get back home from work late at night  and you just want to eat and sleep, because you have to wake up early the other morning,  so you need an unattractive movie to do the trick. After all sleeping pills can get addictive.

So, here it is:
1. Local hero - strong plot, relevant for all times,  weak delivery despite great actors being involved, 80ies feel.  Sunday night movie
2.Cal - good script, nice mood, great actors, yet not up there with other films about Ireland, probably due to the direction. Sunday night movie
3. Comfort and joy - Great main actor, two all time favorite movie scenes, nice script, and lots of great mosic (LOG-LP is part of the soundtrack)  and references to it. A rather guilty pleasure, Sunday afternoon movie.
4.The princess bride-A nice tale with humour that only adults can get. Nice story and acting-  Saturday afternoon movie.
5. Last exit to Brooklyn-Strong film, lots of violent moments and a script that breaks bones.  Shelby is the writer of many books. One of the famous ones that became a film was Requiem for a dream.  Saturday night but with caution.
6. Wag the dog-My favorite film of the lot. Great actors take a very serious subject and give it a lightness that makes this film almost a comedy. And Willie Nelson is the next musician Mark should collaborate with. Friday night movie.
7.Metroland- A wonderful movie, could be in the top instead of Wag the dog. Two of the best new generation actors at a very humane yet a bit twisted situation. Surely Saturday night movie.
8.A shot at glory. I still struggle with it. Found it on DVD but no subtitles and I miss many parts when they have this Scottish accent. ;-)

But the best film (and one of my favourites in general-despite Tom Cruz playing in it) with an original composition by MK specific for the film goes to The colour of money. But since there are many artists that collaborate as well, it is not a MK soundtrack. 
Come on, it is not funny anymore.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2013, 08:52:45 PM »
Interesting to note your comments about Comfort and Joy VGonis.  The lead actor is Bill Paterson and I also like him a lot.  He is well known here, especially in Scotland and it may be of interest that he also starred in the 2nd series of Auf Wiedersehen, Pet alongside Jimmy Nail, Tim Healy etc.

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2013, 09:45:51 PM »
Thanks dmg! I have seen Paterson in several films I don't recall but I remember  "The odd job" with Graham Chapman and DEavid Jason (both on the top 100 comediens). Not a great film, but love the ending. At last the hero snuffs it. I will look for    Auf Wiedersehen, Pet, because apart from the ones you mention I also see Timothy Spall, one of Mike Leigh's  (and mine) favourite actors. BTW and since you've mentioned Nail, have you seen Spender? Is it any good?

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2013, 11:05:54 AM »
Thanks dmg! I have seen Paterson in several films I don't recall but I remember  "The odd job" with Graham Chapman and DEavid Jason (both on the top 100 comediens). Not a great film, but love the ending. At last the hero snuffs it. I will look for    Auf Wiedersehen, Pet, because apart from the ones you mention I also see Timothy Spall, one of Mike Leigh's  (and mine) favourite actors. BTW and since you've mentioned Nail, have you seen Spender? Is it any good?

Spender?  Oh, that was a while ago!  I did watch it when it was shown for the first time but I don't recall any repeat showings so I can't actually remember much about it.  I do remember that my parents and I all sat around the telly and watched it on a Sunday night though so it must have been a "must watch" programme.

As it happens it is also AWP's 30th anniversary this year.  Scary.  Bill Paterson was in the series where the boys went off to Spain to work for his character Ally Fraser.

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2013, 11:41:57 AM »
I came across Spender when i was looking for J.Nail's other acting roles. It seems odd that although it was a success, it stopped after 2 seasons and no re-runs or worldwide DVD release.

OfflineLis

• Lady writer
  • Heap big trouble in the land of plenty.
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2013, 02:34:16 AM »
Thanks so much, vgonis, for the summary and movie grades...  And, oh my gosh... your rating system is ingenius -- loved it!!  ;D
If you ain’t got whiskey
(really, seriously) Don’t tell me that you ain’t got gin

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2013, 08:17:03 AM »
Thanks so much, vgonis, for the summary and movie grades...  And, oh my gosh... your rating system is ingenius -- loved it!!  ;D

:)  Thank you! I was using it with a lifelong friend of mine that couldget the connection. In a way it follows the logic of the Thursday movie premieres. Why Thursdays and not Fridays?   ;D

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2013, 08:48:02 AM »
in France, when you said "the saturday night movie", in the mid 80ies, at the beginning of Canal + channel, it meant something else..... ::) ;D

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2013, 09:16:01 AM »
JF, if you are willing to exchange that sort of movies (and similar activities  :o  ) for another, then it must be really worth it!    ;D

Anyway, in Greece we don't have to wait for Saturday movies. We experience it every day from our loving politicians...   :-X :P

OfflineThrottle

• Camerado
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2013, 02:24:19 PM »
Greetings to all  :wave

Would like to hope that's the most suitable place for my first appearance here, if you don't mind.
Well, it's better late than never, so I ventured upon this step at last   ::)

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2013, 02:37:50 PM »
Welcome to AMIT, Throttle!   Hope you will enjoy being here.    :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.039 seconds with 38 queries.