Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: A Newbie Here  (Read 7263 times)

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
Re: A Newbie Here
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2013, 03:45:17 PM »
Welcome on board Throttle.  I like your avatar and the telegraph pole - nice link.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineThrottle

• Camerado
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2013, 04:28:35 PM »
Thank you both  :)
(fell off the pole through shyness, shook the dust from clothes and dropped a curtsy)

Offlinesweetsurrender

• Romeo
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2013, 05:00:23 AM »
Welcome on board Throttle.  I like your avatar and the telegraph pole - nice link.

sounded like you will fit very well here.  Welcome. :)

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2013, 08:48:56 AM »
Welcome Throttle. No Newbies here, only new friends.  ;)
Come on, it is not funny anymore.

OfflineThrottle

• Camerado
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2013, 03:24:43 PM »
It would be great, sweetsurrender

Thank you, guys, I was touched by your amiability  :)

Offlinealabhaois

• Guitar George
« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2013, 08:45:56 AM »
Welcome, Throttle. You couldn't find a better group of people!!   :wave

I saw DS only once in Oakland, California-- this was the long-awaited post-Brothers in Arms tour in the early 90s. It was nearly the end of their tour and it was obvious MK was tired. Do you know he never looked at the audience once? He looked down during the entire concert-- not like what I've seen on Alchemy and other live concerts. No flashes of that beautiful smile. But I'm sure he was burned out and I can't blame him. I believe they quietly disbanded once the tour was over.

I have heard some of his solo efforts, particularly the Celtic variety, and I like them very much. But I do miss the band.

NO ONE plays like he does-- I never get tired of listening to the "old" songs-- ever. He has his own, distinct sound-- I've never heard any lead guitarist "make that guitar cry, make it sing" like Mark. And his lyrics are sometimes dry, sometimes ironic, sometimes witty, sometimes blustery, sometimes heart-felt. An intellectual (former?) rock star!! He's just amazing!!

Anyway, just wanted to touch base.

Cheers!

Alabhaois

Offlinesweetsurrender

• Romeo
« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2013, 03:13:07 PM »

I saw DS only once in Oakland, California-- this was the long-awaited post-Brothers in Arms tour in the early 90s. It was nearly the end of their tour and it was obvious MK was tired. Do you know he never looked at the audience once? He looked down during the entire concert-- not like what I've seen on Alchemy and other live concerts. No flashes of that beautiful smile. But I'm sure he was burned out and I can't blame him. I believe they quietly disbanded once the tour was over.

I have heard some of his solo efforts, particularly the Celtic variety, and I like them very much. But I do miss the band.

NO ONE plays like he does-- I never get tired of listening to the "old" songs-- ever. He has his own, distinct sound-- I've never heard any lead guitarist "make that guitar cry, make it sing" like Mark. And his lyrics are sometimes dry, sometimes ironic, sometimes witty, sometimes blustery, sometimes heart-felt. An intellectual (former?) rock star!! He's just amazing!!Anyway, just wanted to touch base.

Cheers!

Alabhaois

Like what you said about our MAN !!! :)

Offlinesak4

• Camerado
« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2013, 07:09:36 PM »
MK/DS - 'discovered' 1985.  1st concert 1991.  Grew with it ever since, all that bit older now!   Finally my other half in 2013 said at the RAH concert - 'really good sound, very good musicians' -  it only took him 25 years :clap ;D

He's seen him at Goodwood and Silverstone, of course I wasn't there

Sally
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 07:28:33 PM by sak4 »

OfflineThrottle

• Camerado
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2013, 07:59:41 PM »
Anyway, just wanted to touch base.
Cheers!
Alabhaois

Well said, Alabhaois.

I feel I should write something back.  :)

Don't know where to begin...  :hmm

Probably, MK is a few more than just a human person for me. I mean, not only a musician, a songwriter, a good man etc.
It just so happened that three years ago he saved my life almost in a literal sense. His oeuvre, of course, that's what I mean above all.
I wouldn't like to expatiate upon that subject, but I'm deeply in his debt though.
Cheers!

Offlinealabhaois

• Guitar George
« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2013, 12:23:24 AM »
Oh, Throttle-- now you have my curiosity. I will refrain from asking questions, though, suffice it to say MK has had a powerful effect on lots of us. And another thing I love about him is his humility-- not exactly humble, but he doesn't walk around acting like he's some kind of superman-- I notice it's kind of hard for him to accept praise. That's because he's a genuine, down-to-earth guy who has this incredible gift.  And I think he has a good, strong, healthy ego. I read somewhere that when people say how much his music means to them that he becomes embarrassed and really doesn't know how to answer. He's just an extraordinary person, all-around.

Cheers,

alabhaois

OfflineThrottle

• Camerado
« Reply #40 on: December 28, 2013, 08:55:34 PM »
Sorry for the delay in responding, alabhaois. I just didn't know what to say.

The point is that, in <my reality> he is at liberty to do everything that he thinks fit: take umbrage, be embarrassed, sail close to the wind, be in a nasty mood, keep silent, be at loggerheads, feel seedy, do stupid things, be fond or have an aversion...
Actually, it's rather simple to receive him with all human foibles and salient features  ;)

Hope you had marvelous Christmas  :wave

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #41 on: December 29, 2013, 06:38:28 PM »
welcme aboard throttle.
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.047 seconds with 38 queries.