Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Song Discussion: The Ragpicker's Dream  (Read 7145 times)

Offlineyontwocrows

• Camerado
Re: Song Discussion: The Ragpicker's Dream
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2013, 12:52:47 AM »
Hi,
read also the interesting comments following the link below. Together with the above said you'll get a good overview. 
http://songmeanings.com/songs/view/3530822107858708136/

foma

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2013, 06:27:39 AM »
Thanks Justme! We will see what I can do. Seems like my old friend wants to play guitar for me, so maybe it will be 'live' cover :lol
This song is really hard to learn because of chords like F#m instead of F#m7 and so many rests. I know now why MK never played this title track live :smack

Surprising connection with a Coens and 'Big Rock'. I know the tune and I've seen a movie, though. This just like I see connection of a book

Love Expresso

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2013, 07:05:27 AM »
Yontwocrows, thank you so much for the link! There is that comment that is the longest one, and that commenter really seems to nail it! Finally the change in the perspectives and time levels makes sense! Something that I had trouble with since the song was released... Also the simple idea that two hobos or ragpickers ARE really sitting in a restaurant (which fitted with my idea) and are thrown out (which also fitted) because of not paying or making a gesture or some other reason is fitting perfectly. The DREAM is very important here, as the song title implies, and I had never kept notice of that.

Another one writes that he always gets a good mood when he hears this song because the lyrics are so happy and heartwarming.. I cannot agree to that. Yes, the music and the lyrics have a warmth, but a bitter one. I more feel like crying to be honest when I think about those poor two chaps.. the song is full of pity and overflowing sympathy.. a contrast to the empty, loud and crazy christmas time racket and noise from these days...

I do feel however a growing admiration and pure adoration for Mark more and more that he is capable of writing such great songs. Pure lyric, so well crafted, phantastic masterpiece, I am now more convinced than ever that MK is a brilliant songwriter...

LE

OfflineLis

• Lady writer
  • Heap big trouble in the land of plenty.
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2013, 09:44:13 AM »

What is fringes of life?

To be on the fringe of a group is to be on the outer edge or margin of a group.  The opposite of conventional or mainstream.  Fringes are also described as an irregular, or frayed edge of something, such as clothing. 

To be on the fringes of life, is likely to be hanging onto life by a string.  Not a safe place at all. 
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 09:51:21 AM by Lis »
If you ain’t got whiskey
(really, seriously) Don’t tell me that you ain’t got gin

OfflineRkd

• Camerado
  • and the thread was spun to some arcadian band...
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2013, 04:11:02 PM »

Another one writes that he always gets a good mood when he hears this song because the lyrics are so happy and heartwarming.. I cannot agree to that. Yes, the music and the lyrics have a warmth, but a bitter one. I more feel like crying to be honest when I think about those poor two chaps.. the song is full of pity and overflowing sympathy.. a contrast to the empty, loud and crazy christmas time racket and noise from these days...

LE

This is the way I feel too when I hear this song. In the season of Christmas, when family takes our attention front and center, the contrast between what most people are experiencing and what these two hobos lack in their lives is painful to contemplate. MK always produces beautiful melodies, but as in this song, he juxtaposes them with the harsh realities of his words. And yes, that is brilliance in songwriting!

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.029 seconds with 42 queries.