Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: (18) Dolly shop man  (Read 3442 times)

Offlinekaleo74

• Lady writer
Re: (18) Dolly Shop Man (Vinyl Bonus)
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2024, 03:34:07 PM »
What a great tune! And finally hearing some amazing playing by our dear Glenn Worf !
If I realised that the chances were slim,
How come I'm so surprised when the tide rolled in

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
Re: (18) Dolly shop man
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2024, 09:35:31 AM »
Updated with lyrics, thanks Knopflerfan
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineNick14

• Camerado
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2024, 11:25:52 AM »
A few duplicate threads seem to have popped up, can they be rationalised?

OfflineGorkaos77

• Guitar George
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2024, 08:22:22 PM »
I think this song could have perfectly been on the album.

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2024, 08:27:33 PM »
I think this song could have perfectly been on the album.

Couldn't agree more - I have it down as my preferred album opener!
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

OfflineNick14

• Camerado
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2024, 08:39:14 PM »
It certainly is a terrific song and a shame in a way relatively few people will get to hear it. But then the last 20 years or so have given us dozens of songs like that. I adore Don't Suck Me In and Sky and Water - how many folks are familiar with those? (outside of people on here of course!). But this song seems an obvious one for a new album to me. But I am not Mark (or maybe, more significantly, not Guy!).

OfflineJulie72

• Guitar George
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2024, 06:00:17 PM »
Well, it's hard for me to get a good idea of these vinyl bonus songs, as the MP3's I have are very low-quality...

I've never really understood all this marketing stuff, it would have been easier for anyone to release all the songs at least on CD... I bought the Deluxe CD's just to rip them. What's the point of recording his music in a state-of-the-art studio if it's released on a crappy support ? On Qobuz you can't even download the 24 bits/192 kHz version of the Deluxe pack, just the standard album...

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2024, 07:03:08 PM »
Well, it's hard for me to get a good idea of these vinyl bonus songs, as the MP3's I have are very low-quality...

I've never really understood all this marketing stuff, it would have been easier for anyone to release all the songs at least on CD... I bought the Deluxe CD's just to rip them. What's the point of recording his music in a state-of-the-art studio if it's released on a crappy support ? On Qobuz you can't even download the 24 bits/192 kHz version of the Deluxe pack, just the standard album...

They want to "encourage" people to buy physical product.

You can get the hi-res bonus tracks on the blu-ray.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2024, 07:12:13 PM »

The LP bonus tracks has been released in uncompressed (flac) format. PM me if interested.
CD is by not means a crappy support. A CD can be made to sound perfect. This is definitely the case with CDs produced at British Grove. To me so called "Hi-Rez" 192/24 audio is BS, but I won't go there again, this is a religious debate...
I think it is important that people still by physical products. I have nothing against vinyl, I can understand the nostalgia trip, but it is just not my thing. I can't stand these "vinyl only" releases. There is no way I will buy a turntable just to listen to the bonus tracks and The Boy. And there's no way I will pay 100 euros for a box just to get 4 bonus tracks. I agree with you on this point, this is very stupid marketing. Just tell me how much I need to pay for all songs, release them *all* on digital, CD and vinyl so that everybody is happy with their favourite format, but don't force me to buy a format I'm not interested in !
« Last Edit: April 18, 2024, 07:31:15 PM by herlock »

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2024, 07:29:47 PM »
Agree, except for the part about about it being stupid marketing.

It’s actually very clever marketing as clearly lots of people have spent, £90 just to own those four tracks!
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineJulie72

• Guitar George
« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2024, 07:45:50 PM »
By crappy support I meant vinyl, but I understand that some people could like vinyl, of course. I agree, Herlock. Just being forced to buy a vinyl and a turntable to listen to those bonus tracks and The Boy is a lack of consideration for all the other customers.

OnlineLove Expresso

• Lady writer
« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2024, 07:58:03 PM »
Well, IF you want to have the vinyl, the standard vinyl is already  about 40 € (debatable)  and in the Box you have it PLUS the 2CD edition (22 €). The bonus vinyl to me is not the main thing but a nice ... well... bonus. To say people paid 90 Euro to get the four songs is slightly inaccurate. For me it was a conscious decision to support my favourite artist and buy the physical stuff. You can get it all for free anyway. So basically I paid around 25 Euro for the bonus vinyl which is about the same price we will have to pay for the Boy EP. (Which is too expensive to.be honest but that's where the vinyl prices are going in general, not just with Mark alone.) :wave

LE
« Last Edit: April 18, 2024, 08:01:36 PM by Love Expresso »
I don't want no sugar in it, thank you very much!

OfflineRail King

• Lady writer
« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2024, 09:01:23 PM »
Listened to this for the first time today, and was rather surprised by the first high notes Mark is singing - and by the instrumentation. A lovely little song - nothing that would have fitted the album, and not great, but good.

Offlineborder_reiver

• Founder
  • Romeo
  • "I've been down in Louisiana playing on his album"
« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2024, 10:22:32 PM »
The chorus is also very much John Prine to me. What a little gem it is  :D
"My idea of heaven is a place where the Tyne meets the Delta, where folk music meets the blues."

OfflineSlowLearner

• Guitar George
« Reply #44 on: May 01, 2024, 01:26:10 PM »
Finally had a chance to hear this.
The intro sounds like Dylan's "Things Have Changed", while the song afterwords is basically Beryl 2.0.
I like it!
Could've been on the album.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.039 seconds with 36 queries.