Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: (2) Basil (5:44)  (Read 51269 times)

OfflineIngo

• Camerado
Re: (2) Basil (5:44)
« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2015, 01:39:30 PM »
One of the best songs for me, especially that 'I'm a jack and a lad' refrain with the Fmaj chord is so beautiful :)

However, I don't like that mandolin and the 'Starlings swarming...' part which reminds of the one starting  "maybe once in a lifetime...' in I dug up a diamong but that one worked better IMHO.
my Mark Knopfler guitar style website:
http://www.mk-guitar.com/

Offlineborder_reiver

• Founder
  • Romeo
  • "I've been down in Louisiana playing on his album"
« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2015, 02:27:15 PM »
Nope  ;D

As "Jackal" put it in the GF forum.

"...we will pass over Tepid Town, Snoozechester and Dulldale before arriving at our destination, Valiumville"

Basil is right in the middle of them. Yes, the melody is nice but the song all in all is too slooow. "Oklahoma" on the other hand is a downright masterpiece.

I shall now leave the majestic thread of "Basil" where love for soothing songs and maj7-chords roam freely and are safely tucked away in the upholstered poetry chair far far away from the brutal ramblings of those other songs above the 70 bpm speed limit.  :lol
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 02:29:34 PM by border_reiver »
"My idea of heaven is a place where the Tyne meets the Delta, where folk music meets the blues."

OfflineNick14

• Camerado
« Reply #47 on: March 16, 2015, 03:35:12 PM »
Slow is good - this one is a belter.

OfflineIngo

• Camerado
« Reply #48 on: March 16, 2015, 04:35:43 PM »
Nope  ;D

As "Jackal" put it in the GF forum.

"...we will pass over Tepid Town, Snoozechester and Dulldale before arriving at our destination, Valiumville"

Basil is right in the middle of them. Yes, the melody is nice but the song all in all is too slooow. "Oklahoma" on the other hand is a downright masterpiece.

I shall now leave the majestic thread of "Basil" where love for soothing songs and maj7-chords roam freely and are safely tucked away in the upholstered poetry chair far far away from the brutal ramblings of those other songs above the 70 bpm speed limit.  :lol

I don't care about slow or fast that much. If it good than it is good and this one even has some great moments  ... but that's just MHO.
my Mark Knopfler guitar style website:
http://www.mk-guitar.com/

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #49 on: March 16, 2015, 06:17:22 PM »

I don't care about slow or fast that much. If it good than it is good and this one even has some great moments  ... but that's just MHO.
[/quote]

Words of wisdom there! 

There's something I've come to notice lately that in some of the slower numbers it's Mark's vocal that makes the song sound sleepy and boring.  He just doesn't have that distinctive grunt he used to or put as much effort into it these days.  Strange, because on other songs he sounds great.  Laughs, Bones, Terminal, for example he is good but on things like Long Cool Girl and Silver Eagle I just think that another person singing could really transform these songs and give them another dynamic.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #50 on: March 18, 2015, 09:44:11 AM »
That's strange because Mrs Knopflerfan and I have noted how MK's vocals have improved somewhat espeically since KTGC...
Sleepy and boring NEVER ever come into the equation with regards to MK to me personally.
There is always too much to listen too, ie lyrics & music to even contemplate snoozing. :hmm

As for this beautiful tune - it is awesome!!

* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #51 on: March 18, 2015, 12:12:46 PM »
That's strange because Mrs Knopflerfan and I have noted how MK's vocals have improved somewhat espeically since KTGC...
Sleepy and boring NEVER ever come into the equation with regards to MK to me personally.
There is always too much to listen too, ie lyrics & music to even contemplate snoozing. :hmm

It hadn't really occurred to me until I listed to Making Movies album recently and I had forgotten just how much passion he used to sing with back then.  His vocal really held the song together and gave them some oomph!

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #52 on: March 18, 2015, 12:23:23 PM »

It hadn't really occurred to me until I listed to Making Movies album recently and I had forgotten just how much passion he used to sing with back then.  His vocal really held the song together and gave them some oomph!

He still sings with passion - he's older, but the passion is still there!   This album is the first one that I can sit down and listen to all 18 songs and get goosebumps and on some tracks, tears, because of the way he sings the songs.   I love his voice now.   ;)
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #53 on: March 18, 2015, 12:24:12 PM »
I guess thinking on it for a 65 year old he doesn't do bad??!!
Maybe he hasn't got the 'oomph' anymore?? Certainly more laid back which I think is fine personally but still able to do what he does - succesfully...

I personally think he seems to have more passion for these projects of late and judging from Tracker, his heart is 100% behind everything he does still.
A lot of us are saying including myself that this is the best album yet!!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #54 on: March 18, 2015, 12:26:10 PM »
Yes astonishing isn't it Val, a 65 year old 'Master' able to produce those same emotions here too with all of his 17 tracks.... Not worrying about Hot Dog though!! :wave

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #55 on: March 18, 2015, 12:28:33 PM »
Yes astonishing isn't it Val, a 65 year old 'Master' able to produce those same emotions here too with all of his 17 tracks.... Not worrying about Hot Dog though!! :wave

I love Hot Dog, but it's not long enough!   ;D
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #56 on: March 18, 2015, 12:30:19 PM »
Okay it's obviously for you, I'm not so keen personally....
I'll keep listening I promise!!
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 12:34:32 PM by Knopflerfan »

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #57 on: March 18, 2015, 01:55:44 PM »

I love Hot Dog, but it's not long enough!   ;D

I think it's okay (not great though) but think that it ends almost abruptly.  A nice solo in a longer play-out would maybe warm me to it though!

Offlineknopflertom

• Camerado
« Reply #58 on: March 18, 2015, 09:07:30 PM »
Can someone of the native speakers please explain, what does "i'm a Jack and a lad" mean?

Thanks
Greetz Tom

Dortmund , Cologne 2015 done
Barcelona, RAH 21st, Oberhausen

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #59 on: March 18, 2015, 11:03:11 PM »
Can someone of the native speakers please explain, what does "i'm a Jack and a lad" mean?

Thanks

A "Jack the lad" is a term applied to a young man who is a bit cocky, self assured and a bit of a scoundrel!  I presume he used "Jack and a lad" just to fit the music/lyrics.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.039 seconds with 35 queries.