Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: AMIT TV  (Read 202560 times)

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
Re: AMIT TV
« Reply #150 on: October 03, 2012, 11:20:37 AM »
I have the cassette version of extendeddancEPlay, I guess from canada, and it has badges...on it :
side A : twisting + bages
side B : 2 YL + if I had you

and of course Pick is mentionned on drums just for bagdges, while terry is mentioned on the 3 other tracks

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #151 on: October 03, 2012, 11:31:57 AM »
I have a 12" one.  Oops, wrong thread!

LE is right.  I was only looking at LOG on Wikipedia yesterday and it said Badges was a leftover from the album so this will explain Picks role on this track.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
« Reply #152 on: October 03, 2012, 11:38:41 AM »
I didn't put down all the credits of the albums, figuring that you would all know. And you do know! ;D  Yes, Pick is mentioned only for Badges. But while on the 3 track editions his  name justifiably is not there, because he didn't contribute, it is also absent from the W.Germany with the 4 tracks! And that is why I mentioned it.
Come on, it is not funny anymore.

Love Expresso

« Reply #153 on: October 03, 2012, 11:40:48 AM »
So with Badges AND Private Dancer we do know two left-overs from LOG - two songs that don't fit at all with the other five tracks... Mark's initial plans of LOG as a double album maybe would have obtained interesting results... I love Badges by the way, really one of the coolest tracks of MK ever written...

LE

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #154 on: October 03, 2012, 11:49:13 AM »
So with Badges AND Private Dancer we do know two left-overs from LOG - two songs that don't fit at all with the other five tracks... Mark's initial plans of LOG as a double album maybe would have obtained interesting results... I love Badges by the way, really one of the coolest tracks of MK ever written...

LE

I love Badges too.  Been listening to it a lot lately, ever since that poll came out for best B-side!

Remember, just because it's a LOG left-over it doesn't mean it was recorded back then.  It may have been recorded during the same sessions as the other songs on the EP and therefore had Terry playing... :-\

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
« Reply #155 on: October 03, 2012, 12:05:52 PM »
Private dancer is very close to Love over gold (song and album sound) musically, and he might have had a different set of lyrics for a male delivery, or maybe he wrote some new lyrics on a close to LoG tune. Unlike the other MK penned song "Overnight sensation", from Tina's next album "Break every rule", I think Private dancer was not written with Tina in mind, but gave it away when he was asked.  An MK rough "sketch" recording is known to exist. By the wayMK contributes in 3 Tina albums, and on the double live one, Tina included a photo of her with MK, while there was no further contribution on that one.
Badges is funny, and has the sound of early DS, like Eastbound train, certainly not fit for the LoG album, but great for the summer-y  Extended dance Play. But surely it is Pick on the drums, since it's first appearance is as B-side of the Private investigations single. I like the lyrics, making plenty  money out of merchandise, while they are musicians must have been hilarious for MK back then.

Come on, it is not funny anymore.

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #156 on: October 03, 2012, 01:14:39 PM »

LE

of course bagdes is a left over from LOG, I tought you all already kew that   ;D

LE

I love Badges too.  Been listening to it a lot lately, ever since that poll came out for best B-side!

Remember, just because it's a LOG left-over it doesn't mean it was recorded back then.  It may have been recorded during the same sessions as the other songs on the EP and therefore had Terry playing... :-\

I don't think so, I guess badges was recorde during LOG sesssions, because it was the Bside of Private investigations

the recording of the EP (1-2-3 october 1982) was after LOG release, and I think after PI single release

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #157 on: October 03, 2012, 01:41:24 PM »
It was the b-side to PI.  I forgot that and I actually have that single too! :disbelief

Offlinenababo

• Camerado
« Reply #158 on: October 03, 2012, 03:53:47 PM »
Please anyone, feel free to add the releases I am missing and maybe we can start a database with all the releases of DS and MK. And with photos!

I guess it was never released in Brazil. That would be the only DS/MK/everything official release which doesn't have a Brazilian version. Well, I don't know about A shot at glory, which I've bought from the net.
Love over gold, mind over matter

Offlinenababo

• Camerado
« Reply #159 on: October 03, 2012, 03:55:11 PM »
Last but not least a 1989 golden looking CD-video release Vertigo (080136-2-barcode 044008013624) of twisting by the pool, with 4 audio tracks (TBTP,TYL,IIHY, and TYL live) and the TPTP video) Made in Germany.

Wow, never knew there was a cd realease! It must be the hardest thing to find out, isn't it?

Offlinenababo

• Camerado
« Reply #160 on: October 03, 2012, 04:00:00 PM »

LE

Wikipedia presents a huge confusing list of leftovers from the album

"I like to go to work"
"Worth your while"
"Music"
"Badges, Posters, Stickers and T-Shirts"
"Private Dancer"
"The Way it Always Starts"

"I like to go to work" - a line on TR. In another post, we were guessing about the fact that TR should have been the result of two different songs, or tentative songs, mixed together after all

"Worth your while" - it's a line on INR. Maybe the same of the above have happened here.

"Music" - no clue

"Badges, Posters, Stickers and T-Shirts" - we know what MK did last summer

"Private Dancer" - other known result

"The Way it Always Starts" - ended up on LH soundtrack. Maybe it was written during the sessions for LOG, but reserved to another release. And for me the song has a LOG flavour.

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #161 on: October 03, 2012, 04:33:31 PM »
"The Way it Always Starts" - ended up on LH soundtrack. Maybe it was written during the sessions for LOG, but reserved to another release. And for me the song has a LOG flavour.

ah yes, I had forgotten this song. yes it was another left out from LOG. I guess it's mentionned in the Oldfield book, such as badges.
I don't know if a recording from these sessions exists, never heard about it.

maybe some other riffs or ideas of the Local hero soundtrack come from LOG sessions :
things like freeway flyer or stargazer may have fit very well with the LOG sound, and were maybe musical ideas from these sessions.

and maybe Mark had in mind to do such things like  a fistuf of iceream which is a variation on PI 's theme, and when you think that at the time Mark's songs were at leats 6 min long, you don't need much more tracks to get a full double album

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #162 on: October 03, 2012, 05:00:15 PM »
Yes, in the film Comfort and Joy actor Bill Forsyth's character mentions It Never Rains in the film (he is a deejay) and also an extract from TR (the intro) is played as incidental music.  Never thought I'd say TR is incidental music! :o

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #163 on: October 03, 2012, 05:52:29 PM »
I
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinenababo

• Camerado
« Reply #164 on: October 03, 2012, 06:52:55 PM »

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.045 seconds with 37 queries.