Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: AMIT TV  (Read 202539 times)

Offlineshangri la 1

• Founder
  • Juliet
  • Hi all and welcome to A.M.I.T.
    • AMIT TV
Re: AMIT TV
« Reply #405 on: November 02, 2014, 02:37:30 AM »
AMIT TV SCHEDULE FOR NOVEMBER 2014B

Offlineshangri la 1

• Founder
  • Juliet
    • AMIT TV
« Reply #406 on: November 10, 2014, 09:56:07 AM »
Can Anyone identify the guitarist and tracks played here at 00:50 and 18:26
I don't recognise either and 2 Subscriber's to AMIT TV have asked about them.. Any help much appreciated.

I do know the guy who wrote the book, Ray Minhinnett had input in producing the original DVD of this was a keen guitarist. Don't know if it is him though. I thought the 1st part sounded like DG from PF, but Pottel has confirmed that it isn't. 

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
« Reply #407 on: November 10, 2014, 10:18:51 AM »
The first one sounds more like Steve Vai and the second one could as well be Eric Clapton, but can't put my finger on it because their sound is much imitated.   
Come on, it is not funny anymore.

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #408 on: November 10, 2014, 04:03:08 PM »
Sure it's not Gilmour and sure it's not EC

I'd say it's not a known guitarist, but one who produces DVD guitar lessons, or a studio musician, who can play and imitate any styles

It sounds "perfect" but "unpersonnal" to me, that kind of muscian who is a hell of player but who will never have a success career because he can play everything but he doesn't have his own style/sound

just a thought and no offence intented

Offlineshangri la 1

• Founder
  • Juliet
    • AMIT TV
« Reply #409 on: November 16, 2014, 12:06:07 AM »
Yes it may well be Ray Minhinnett, the writer of the book who is credited for "original" music on the DVD.

OfflineMarijo58

• Lady writer
« Reply #410 on: November 16, 2014, 07:42:36 PM »
Well as I don't know where to post this, I put it here. You can move it if it's not the right place!!
I have a question, while watching many MK's interviews thanks to AMIT TV, I noticed that he told once that he was one day in a Pub where they were playing Telegraph Road then right after it he heard Buddy Holly!! His reaction was to say that his song had really less quality than what they did in the 50ies!!! What do you think about that? I'm fan of many Musicians because I love Music and it's a fact that they're never satisfied of their own stuff but I can't really quite understand why they're so humbles!!!
But it's written in the starlight and every line on your palm, we're fools to make war on our brothers in arms.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #411 on: November 16, 2014, 09:21:32 PM »
Well as I don't know where to post this, I put it here. You can move it if it's not the right place!!
I have a question, while watching many MK's interviews thanks to AMIT TV, I noticed that he told once that he was one day in a Pub where they were playing Telegraph Road then right after it he heard Buddy Holly!! His reaction was to say that his song had really less quality than what they did in the 50ies!!! What do you think about that? I'm fan of many Musicians because I love Music and it's a fact that they're never satisfied of their own stuff but I can't really quite understand why they're so humbles!!!

Humble or a little white lie?  You can decide!  I've often thought that some people just say these things in order to have others think the opposite (kind of reverse psychology) because surely he must know he's good for heavens sake!  Sometimes, for me anyway, he goes a little overboard in his self-deprecation.  I give him the benefit of the doubt however.  Everyone deserves that.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineMarijo58

• Lady writer
« Reply #412 on: November 16, 2014, 09:57:56 PM »
Thanks Dmg for your answer!!! I totally agree with you!!! And I can add that Artists like him are very conscious that what they're doing can't be that bad but they're always doubting and that's why they pretend that their work is not so perfect!! Regarding MK I was really surprised because he talked about Telegraph Road which is according to me with Tunnel of Love a master piece!! And besides you can't compare good old Rock and Roll's songs composed in the 50ies with his songs!!! It's of course different because Music is changing all the time!!
But it's written in the starlight and every line on your palm, we're fools to make war on our brothers in arms.

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
« Reply #413 on: November 16, 2014, 11:33:02 PM »
My two cents. Buddy Holly is the archetypical rock n roller, pop, rock icon. He was the first hit-maker to use a fender stratocatser, he was the first geeky looking to make it, he was amongst the first Caucasian to write original r'n'r pop songs and sing them to a wide audience, with minimal electrical aids for his guitar, and  without trying to seduce the girls (like Elvis). And his tragic death, at an early age, while his wife was expecting, made him an almost legendary thing in those days.  The fact that everybody from the Rolling stones to Hank Marvin with the shadows, were heavily influenced by him and John McLean wrote the great American Pie song just for him (the day the music died) are just few reminders of his heavy shadow in rock music. MK was young when all these things happened. Rock n roll was young, and in his memory all these songs are very special. So I really understand what MK is talking about. And of course you can not be the judge of yourself. It shows lack of modesty.
Come on, it is not funny anymore.

OfflineMarijo58

• Lady writer
« Reply #414 on: November 17, 2014, 07:40:54 AM »
Thanks Vgonis!! I didn't know that Buddy Holly was the first caucasian artist to play with a stratocaster! So now I start to understand why MK said that!! But I still feel that he could have picked another of his songs to compare with!!

LoveExpresso

« Reply #415 on: November 17, 2014, 07:50:43 AM »
No, I guess he chose TR consciously because it is so long and so ambitious and so complicated, compared to other Dire Straits songs. He had done all this brain work to do it properly and then, I think in an elevator it was, listens to a 2 or 3 minute Buddy Holly song and sees the impact that this song had on himself - and he recognized that he was on the wrong way with his own music, related to his own roots. Keep in mind that after Love Over Gold, he made that Rock'n Roll EP, simple, easy, great nevertheless.

Of course Telegraph Road is a master piece, I fully agree with that, but I guess it just broke out of him like the whole album did in some sort of creative explosion or eruption. Many songs on his recent solo albums have chosen to go the other path, the Buddy way, Who's Your Baby now, True Love Will Never Fade, and so on.

LE

OfflineMarijo58

• Lady writer
« Reply #416 on: November 17, 2014, 08:08:44 AM »
Thanks Love Expresso, true again!!! Now as much as I really love Buddy Holly's songs, I did not grew up with this generation, I'm anyway 9 years younger than MK so I guess that's why I reacted this way!!!!

OfflineFletch

• Romeo
« Reply #417 on: November 17, 2014, 08:16:29 AM »
In light of the EP being described as 'easy' & 'simple' can someone explain to me what the music is doing in Badges, I've never really understood it. Is it a boogie with a chromatic motif in the last bar ? If I play along (I think in E) and add Bb A Ab maj 7ths at end, what does it all mean ?? :)
Hey, i`ve got a truffle dog - finally a song the ordinary man can relate too!

LoveExpresso

« Reply #418 on: November 17, 2014, 08:40:45 AM »
Fletch, I have no clue about it. Only to let you know Batches to me never belonged to the EP. I would have never described that one as easy! (I do own the EP and my edition contains Twisting, Two Young Lovers and If I Had You.)

LE
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 08:43:13 AM by Love Expresso »

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #419 on: November 17, 2014, 09:55:19 AM »
This  interview was from Guitar magazine, dated January 11th 1993, which I still have in my box of MK bits and pieces!   Here is the relevant part:

'I remember sitting in a bar listening to Telegraph Road', says Mark Knopfler,  'and I thought to myself "What a lifeless bunch of old toss this is!"'

'The juke box played Rave On by Buddy Holly immediately afterwards and to me it just totally eclipsed Telegraph Road and blew it into the weeds.  Now, that's my kind of music!  Rave On was bigger and better even though there were only three instruments and it was just bursting with life and joy.  That was a real lesson to me and I think you can hear it on the last album.'

« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 10:32:07 AM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.045 seconds with 39 queries.