Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Mark own most favorite songs  (Read 30939 times)

OfflineIrisRose

• Not just another angel
  • Founder
  • Romeo
Re: Mark own most favorite songs
« Reply #45 on: December 02, 2008, 04:27:47 AM »
I got the second and third part, but i couldn't get the first part!  Wanna trade?
But a spoonful of forgiveness
Goes a long, long way
And we all should do our best
To get along

OfflineIrisRose

• Not just another angel
  • Founder
  • Romeo
« Reply #46 on: December 02, 2008, 04:31:02 AM »
jeezlouise, I need to sign in more often!
But a spoonful of forgiveness
Goes a long, long way
And we all should do our best
To get along

OfflineFinnishdude

• Guitar George
« Reply #47 on: August 16, 2011, 04:16:53 PM »
would die to find out the date of that concert!!
There were rumours it was the concert well known as Arena'80. But I'm not sure if it is correct...
Sorry that I lifted this old topic up... I didn't find any better topic.  ::) Nevertheless, I found a very interesting audio track from the youtube. This is propably the requested performance of "Where you think you are going?" . It sounds it's hard to sing this song for MK. Sometimes he's sobering instead singning, especially in following part in time 2.15-2.30: ("still find a reason to doubt me---care about my pride----like to be free) And the year is correct, 79.  Also the ending guitar solo is extraordinary and whole ending is really agressive, like some kind of pain is coming out of him.

I forgot the link:  
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 04:27:40 PM by Finnishdude »

Love Expresso

« Reply #48 on: August 16, 2011, 04:39:08 PM »
Hey Finnishdude, welcome at AMIT!

I never knew this thread and find it very funny how the topic "Mark own most favorite songs" ended up with the line "... like some kind of pain is coming out of him" in your post.  :lol

The version is great, so great that I must admit I thought for a second how great maybe some new music of MK would sound if he was just a little... less happy! Don't blame me for that, I know it's a riciculous thought, but some of the greatest and best blues stuff of course has come from people who weren't exactly happy! I agree with you that this could be the version and the concert Pottel was looking for.

So, thanks for bringing this up, it was a good read. Who knows how many treasures are there still to be found down in the AMIT archives...

LE

OfflineJustme

• Romeo
  • Kilnockie Supporters Club
« Reply #49 on: August 16, 2011, 04:46:40 PM »
Hey Finnishdude and welcome to the best MK forum....in the world (Jeremy Clarkson reference)!  ;D

This is a mindblowing recording, it gave me goosebumps. That evening, MK was really into it. Every now and then, I tend to go back to recordings from 1978-1980 and enjoy the immense energy of these songs. Please don't get me wrong, his recent work is fantastic, but sometimes I miss that energy.

EDIT: Does anyone know the source of this very recording?
a) Soundboard: http://oneverybootleg.nl/boston.htm
b) Audience: http://oneverybootleg.nl/080979.htm
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 04:48:50 PM by Justme »
And she's sitting in her Lusso, in the early morning sun.

OfflineFinnishdude

• Guitar George
« Reply #50 on: August 16, 2011, 04:52:08 PM »
I know what you mean. Sometimes when I feel bored or depressed I just go and play piano for one or two hours. I can feel how depressness and unhappy things "converts" into music that I never could play when Im happy. Im not sure is that video which I posted the correct one, but it sounds like MK is very depressed in it.  
(Im not perfect in English, Im from Finland)  ;D

EDIT: Justme, perhaps those unhappy events in MK:s private life gave him energy to play more agressive and energized.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 04:54:49 PM by Finnishdude »

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #51 on: August 16, 2011, 04:56:35 PM »
Thank you very much, Finnishdude for this recording.   Mark certainly sounded heartbroken and I felt I was, in a way, intruding on his grief.  I found it quite difficult to listen to, for that reason! 
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineFinnishdude

• Guitar George
« Reply #52 on: August 16, 2011, 05:08:06 PM »
If someone is interested to hear other songs from that Gig in Boston 1979, put "Dire Straits Boston '79" to youtube search. There's rare performance of Bernadette, performed by David Knopfler and few other songs by Mark.

fixed few typos...
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 05:10:19 PM by Finnishdude »

OfflineFinnishdude

• Guitar George
« Reply #53 on: August 16, 2011, 05:16:43 PM »
EDIT: Does anyone know the source of this very recording?
a) Soundboard: http://oneverybootleg.nl/boston.htm
b) Audience: http://oneverybootleg.nl/080979.htm

Almost all songs are in youtube, use terms: dire straits boston 79' (*) . *= put songs name in this place to help search to find it.

Offlinesweetsurrender

• Romeo
« Reply #54 on: August 17, 2011, 06:33:02 AM »
Thank you very much, Finnishdude for this recording.   Mark certainly sounded heartbroken and I felt I was, in a way, intruding on his grief.  I found it quite difficult to listen to, for that reason! 

I'm totally with you Val. Knowing what Mark had gone through during that period of his life, it's sooo painful to listen to this song.  It put me in tears.  It's such an amazing recording.  Is there a video of this anywhere?

I have to agree with you that for some reasons when you're sad /depressed etc, the music either you play or listen to suddenly become profoundly more meaningful.  Thus it explains why this song is so powerful in this recording. 

I love this song sooooo veryyyy much ! It's one of Mark's best.
Thanks for sharing this !

Offlinesweetsurrender

• Romeo
« Reply #55 on: August 17, 2011, 06:53:17 AM »
I just had to listen to it again.  Couldn't resist !

Jackal

« Reply #56 on: August 18, 2011, 10:42:01 AM »
The personal songs will always carry some extra intensity. That's why, for me at least, his latest songs, where he basically gives a summary of a book or an article, sound very dull in comparison. They are excellently crafted and played, but they lack the nerve of the older songs. In my opinion, that has nothing to do with age and maturity. It's possible to get older and still convey that intensity.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #57 on: August 18, 2011, 12:29:33 PM »
The personal songs will always carry some extra intensity. That's why, for me at least, his latest songs, where he basically gives a summary of a book or an article, sound very dull in comparison. They are excellently crafted and played, but they lack the nerve of the older songs. In my opinion, that has nothing to do with age and maturity. It's possible to get older and still convey that intensity.

He's said many times his songs are getting simpler and he's right.  Often in the past you had to go looking for the meaning in his songs or they could have double meanings and you seldom got a bad one on any album, but now he writes some terrible songs like the ones released with the deluxe box set of Get Lucky.  All of them are crap. :disbelief
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
« Reply #58 on: August 29, 2011, 10:47:50 AM »
Hi dmg. Your post raises an interesting question, that has very little to do with the quality of the extra songs.
What should any keen fan do when the artist he follows disappoints him with his work? And taking into account the fact that the cunning record companies put out so many editions with extras that targeting this very fan.
In a way there is only one answer: don't buy.
A second one that might convince with logic is : the keen fan would be satisfied even with these songs, because he can find thrill in the rarity, uniqueness of the songs plus if he is willing to pay this kind of money, he surely gets his rocks off simply by the distinctive sound of his voice and guitar. And you wouldn't expect MK to put as an extra a new song that is as good as SOS or ToL. That would have to be included in the regular release.
But since I feel the way you do, I do believe that there is something fishy with the whole collectible things that have been in circulation from the late 90ies. The fans are the sure cows to milk, so the companies create such "collectibles" that the vast number of them show that are not collectibles at all. And let me tell you, that the fetish thing that creates the whole demand, is an irrational thing ("I have it you don't have it, so that proves I am a better fan" kind of thing), because what would you do with a pair of dice and some chips? Three years after and you can still find Get Lucky box in almost have the original asking price.  But it is a desire to own something that proves you are a good fan. And the companies exploit this desire. The logic thing would be not to buy and force the companies to sell the real product, the music contained, at affordable prices. Unfortunately, MK is a worldwide phenomenon and such sizes are helped by big companies and their routines. Bob Dylan, Bruce Springsteen, Metallica, Rammstein, Jimi Hendrix White Stripes, Stone Roses, Portishead and many others have done the same thing. Who's to blame? 
Come on, it is not funny anymore.

Jackal

« Reply #59 on: August 29, 2011, 11:24:02 AM »
It's a free world - don't like, don't buy. And if people have personal issues because they feel they have to keep up with the Jones', I feel sorry for them.

But that Get Lucky deluxe set thing was just the funniest thing ever. How much was it, 100 euros? For a few plastic chips and dice, two (three?) very mediocre songs, and that *amazing* footage. Oh man, the execs and Mark must be ROFL all the way to the bank. Not that Mark cares about money of course.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.046 seconds with 45 queries.