Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: First impressions (**Spoiler alert**)  (Read 35347 times)

Love Expresso

Re: First impressions (**Spoiler alert**)
« Reply #45 on: October 20, 2018, 10:48:09 PM »
I love that.

LE

OfflineRail King

• Lady writer
« Reply #46 on: October 21, 2018, 11:09:35 AM »
Tracker didnt had any snippets i think.

If you count some snippets of Taormina and something else in EPK, then it actually had. By the way, for some reason I like the sound of Taormina being recorded through the boom mic in the documentary more, than the actual version. So no, I can't find something good about snippets...
Yes, the mini docu of Henrik Hansen and the Track by Track EPK with Mighty Man. But no snippets on Itunes

It's easy for me to say now that I can listen to the whole album, but i don't like snippets, either. It's almost disrespectful to the song to just cut out a little bit. That said, of course I couldn't resist, either, when we got snippets in the past. I remember hearing the intro to Mighty Man and thinking: Okay, this is going to be a great song. And indeed it was. Same with Taormina.

And to answer the question about So Far from the Clyde and Dream of the Drowned Submariner: I agree with JF, nothing like it, really. Drover's Road has a somewhat similar atmosphere and guitar sound to So Far from the Clyde, but that's about it. You'll probably like this one when you like Clyde. And while there are no songs reminding me of Submariner, there are a lot of very atmospheric song on the album. It might even be Mark's most atmospheric album so far (atmospheric in the sense of ambient sounds evoking a certain scene).

fully agree;

that's why I somehow quoted Ride across the river or millionaire blues; It's not about guitar, melody, riff or whatsoever, it's about ambiance, atmosphere, feelin, flavour...
I noticed that there are some "ambient "sounds, I mean talking voices : in the middle of Trapper man, at the start of my bacon roll, and on another song but cant' remember which one just now.
Like if Mark wanted to give a sort of "movie scene" kind of style to his songs....ok yo might say taht almost all his songs has this kind of movie-scene, but here you have some sounds or voices like if it was taken from a movie
so see what I mean Rail King ?

Very much so, yes. He always had these "cinematic" songs, but the concept is supported even more evidently on this album with the ambient noise he uses.

Offlinecvstahl

• Local Hero
« Reply #47 on: October 21, 2018, 05:11:01 PM »
Is the album leaked somewhere given this topic of reviewing the songs based on having listened to them?

If yes......would someone send me a PM

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #48 on: October 21, 2018, 05:16:48 PM »
Is the album leaked somewhere given this topic of reviewing the songs based on having listened to them?

No, it's the journalists who for some reason have the album beforehand so they can write a review of it. As if they can't do it after the release :lol
All the music they have is heavily secured and watermarked so they can't share it unfortunately, so the solution is easy. To become a journalist :lol

Offlinecvstahl

• Local Hero
« Reply #49 on: October 21, 2018, 05:19:43 PM »
 :smack OK....thanks for the feedback!

No, it's the journalists who for some reason have the album beforehand so they can write a review of it. As if they can't do it after the release :lol
All the music they have is heavily secured and watermarked so they can't share it unfortunately, so the solution is easy. To become a journalist :lol

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #50 on: October 21, 2018, 09:14:23 PM »
For almost 3 weeks now, the leitmotiv on "One song at a time" made me think to another MK musical theme and I couldn't find which one it was, and I finally found it today :

it's "training" on the "A shot at gory" soundtrack, the passage from 2:06 to 2:35

not the same kind of drums or pipes, but the melody has some similarities (not the same key though)

Rail King do you hear it ?

OfflineRail King

• Lady writer
« Reply #51 on: October 21, 2018, 11:01:56 PM »
For almost 3 weeks now, the leitmotiv on "One song at a time" made me think to another MK musical theme and I couldn't find which one it was, and I finally found it today :

it's "training" on the "A shot at gory" soundtrack, the passage from 2:06 to 2:35

not the same kind of drums or pipes, but the melody has some similarities (not the same key though)

Very vaguely, yes. I must say that I like One Song at a Time much, much better, and that it reminded me much more of Laughs and Jokes and Border Reiver stylistically. I never liked the soundtrack of A Shot at Glory very much, to be honest. But maybe it's unfair to compare it to a regular album, as it was supposed to support a film, not to be listened to on its own.

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
« Reply #52 on: October 21, 2018, 11:11:38 PM »

Very vaguely, yes. I must say that I like One Song at a Time much, much better, and that it reminded me much more of Laughs and Jokes and Border Reiver stylistically. I never liked the soundtrack of A Shot at Glory very much, to be honest. But maybe it's unfair to compare it to a regular album, as it was supposed to support a film, not to be listened to on its own.
The part between 2.06 en 2.35 is the best part of that song. I always liked that very much :) Also a big fan of Laughs and jokes and Border Reiver.

:D One song at a time must be awesome then.
Proud member of the AMIT crew

OfflineZeraschkulidar

• Guitar George
« Reply #53 on: October 21, 2018, 11:26:19 PM »
Funny. Is "leitmotiv" actually an english word? In German we call it "Leitmotiv" :D

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #54 on: October 22, 2018, 12:27:07 AM »
Funny. Is "leitmotiv" actually an english word? In German we call it "Leitmotiv" :D

I think became a "universal" word. We say the same in french

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #55 on: October 22, 2018, 12:28:58 AM »

agree; the first song that came to mind wahen I heard it for the first time was Border Reiver (much more than LAJADAS)
But just this particulary musical phrase was in my head too

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #56 on: October 23, 2018, 10:23:16 PM »
I think a lot about the new MK album. I analyze and imagine, but my imagination is too small. JF, Rail King, does it make sense?

Trapper Man - americana ?
Back On The Dance Floor - ?
Nobody’s Child - ballad
Just A Boy Away From Home - blues
When You Leave - jazz ballad
Good On You Son - :)
My Bacon Roll - ?
Nobody Does That - ?
Drover's Road - celtic ballad
One Song At A Time - rock and celtic ?
Floating Away - ballad ?
Slow Learner - jazz ballad
Heavy Up - ?
Matchstick Man - acoustic
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

OfflineGIUMK

• Camerado
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #57 on: October 23, 2018, 11:00:54 PM »
You're right Robson, I'm curious to know too.

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #58 on: October 24, 2018, 10:57:00 AM »
Trapper Man - americana ? yes . country-folk-rock ballad
Back On The Dance Floor - ? laid back pop rock mainstream FM (on the good side)
Nobody’s Child - ballad. slow. laid back blues
Just A Boy Away From Home - blues. at the start yes, but the outro is...well I don't know how to call it "cooderish ?". more seriously, I would say "soul"
When You Leave - jazz SLOW ballad
Good On You Son - :)
My Bacon Roll - ? ballad folk laid back
Nobody Does That - ? funk groovy soul RnB laid back
Drover's Road - celtic SLOW ballad
One Song At A Time - rock and celtic ? celtic ballad, not very rock, I'd rather say folk
Floating Away - ballad ? laid back pop
Slow Learner - jazz SLOW ballad a little bit bluesy/jazzy
Heavy Up - ? easy listening  ;D
Matchstick Man - acoustic folk

it's hard to put musical styles on songs. That's why I said several for each song. the result is a mix of them, at leats to MY ears. Maybe someone else would call them differently
I would say that they all sound Mark ! but sometimes in a surprising way, I mean not in the way he was used to on latest albums

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #59 on: October 24, 2018, 11:36:06 AM »
Rail king and JF...

When "Matchstick man" ends, did you wait until the very end just in case there is a hidden song? It is supposed that there is another song, "Back in the day", that we don't know yet in which edition will be, and I just thought it might be hidden after Matchstick man. Sometimes happens...
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.044 seconds with 41 queries.