Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Brothers In Arms 30th anniversary  (Read 2525 times)

OfflineJKMark

• Guitar George
Brothers In Arms 30th anniversary
« on: May 29, 2015, 12:25:45 PM »
First, I wanna say 'hello' to all of you!
I've read this forum for a few years but I never posted.
Now it's time to do a first step! ;)

We know that Knopfler doesn't treat us good with archival material, DVD's and all of this stuff.
He, as far as I know, doesn't attach importance to his old music/concerts, I mean, older than new.

But! It's been 30 years since Brothers In Arms was released. It was a huge album followed by a huge tour. I'm also a big fan of Springsteen's music and he used to (not only him, look at The Rolling Stones, U2, Peter Gabriel, Pink Floyd, Bob Dylan, etc.) celebrate his great albums with anniversary (more or less) boxsets. My question is: there's a chance that Knopfler do the same thing with his biggest one?
I know the answer - there's no chance, forget about it - but if I could choose, I'd say:

- CD (taken from vinyl remasters for example)
- outtakes (if exist)
- DVD/Blu-Ray of complete 1985/86 concert (Uniondale 1985 or MSG 1985 or one of Hammersmith' 1985)
- DVD/Blu-Ray of documentary (Making of...)
- whatever you want

Btw. which concerts were professionally filmed? We know about Wembley 10/07/1985 (at least most songs) and Sydney 26/04/1986. Any others? It's hard to believe that nothing was filmed during that monster tour.

Hello again and have a nice weekend and enjoy recent shows!

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
Re: Brothers In Arms 30th anniversary
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2015, 02:44:43 PM »
I think we would all love the filmed Wembley 10.07.85 concert to be released but I doubt it.  I watched BIA from that particular concert a few days ago and the filming was a little dated with slow-mo's and inter-spliced with clips (same for TOL).  Although I don't think it would have been released anyway, these reasons are the nails in it's coffin.  I wonder if it's possible to salvage something from the rest of the footage i.e. other camera angles.  :think

Sydney concert was better filmed but the performance was a little tired I think.  It also contained the short version of TOL.  Also bear in mind that we know the full show was recorded - do we know the same of the Wembley show because only a part of it was shown?
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineHoops McCann

• Dan
  • Founder
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2015, 04:37:32 PM »
Also bear in mind that we know the full show was recorded - do we know the same of the Wembley show because only a part of it was shown?

I think various fans have been trying to figure that out since it first aired on The Tube in January, 1986. So, for about 29 years now? And still, we have no answer.  :) In the interview Chuck Ainlay gave for engineering the 20th anniversary version of BiA in 2005, he said that they had a hard time just tracking down the master tapes of the album. If that's the case for a major studio release, imagine how hard it would be to get a hold of video from that era. Now also imagine MK's passion for releasing historical material.  :) That might explain why 30 years later, we haven't seen it.
"...I was prompted to check out some of the threads you have going which are often unintentionally funny, wildly speculative and sometimes just plain deluded..." - Ed Bicknell

https://soundcloud.com/sunday_driver

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2015, 04:55:05 PM »
Also bear in mind that we know the full show was recorded - do we know the same of the Wembley show because only a part of it was shown?

I think various fans have been trying to figure that out since it first aired on The Tube in January, 1986. So, for about 29 years now? And still, we have no answer.  :) In the interview Chuck Ainlay gave for engineering the 20th anniversary version of BiA in 2005, he said that they had a hard time just tracking down the master tapes of the album. If that's the case for a major studio release, imagine how hard it would be to get a hold of video from that era. Now also imagine MK's passion for releasing historical material.  :) That might explain why 30 years later, we haven't seen it.

Very true.  We know that the BBC destroyed a lot of old tape when in the process of converting to digital media because of storage issues (in the process coming across some "lost" gems) so considering this was aired on C4 and, unlike the BBC, would have used another production company I doubt whether they would even still have the masters at all.  :'(
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2015, 12:00:54 PM »
I really don't care for any releases. The plethora of bootlegs and TV shows watched once cast a certain shadow and have a special appeal that creates a better feeling than an official release would create. After all too many things are going to create an inflation (with all new MK concerts released) so anything inflationary loses its value. Of course I would love to have something completely unreleased, like the communique demos or songs that were played only live or any other that may exist. Even the demo versions from the first album were a nice surprise, despite the fact that we all had them a long time before the original release.
Come on, it is not funny anymore.

OfflineFletch

• Romeo
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2015, 02:05:52 PM »
Did you end up getting your Honky Tonk double single mate?

Had another listen this weekend, the sound is superb on 45rpm !
Hey, i`ve got a truffle dog - finally a song the ordinary man can relate too!

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2015, 05:18:49 PM »
Yes Fletch, finally got them. They arrived a bit late and now I don't have the time to even listen to them, but their time will eventually come, (probably right after summer)
Come on, it is not funny anymore.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.04 seconds with 39 queries.