Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Live recordings to be made available via Simfy! Official from Paul Crockford  (Read 158713 times)

Love Expresso

Re: Live recordings to be made available via Simfy! Official from Paul Crockford
« Reply #360 on: September 06, 2010, 12:48:25 PM »
I expected that question!  :lol  No, of course not all of them. Let me state that I have no problem with Mark's mistakes as long as the overall performance is good, but it is just a small hint. I do not remember any mistake in those old songs in the tours before 2001, and since then something happened with Mark's perfection obviously.

I do not prefer highly worked-on releases like "On The Night", too polished in my opinion. So I am very happy with Mark releasing his stuff in this way. It is just remarkable in my opinion, that's all.

LE
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 01:01:06 PM by Love Expresso »

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
Re: Live recordings to be made available via Simfy! Official from Paul Crockford
« Reply #361 on: September 06, 2010, 12:53:14 PM »
LE, Mark has always made greenies!   Even in Rockpalast there were mistakes and especially the appalling Sultans from Chicago in 2001!   I think some people tend to look back through rose-tinted specs!    ;D   

Overall, though, the performances on these latest recordings is, imo, excellent, so I am very happy!  :)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 12:59:21 PM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

Onlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #362 on: September 06, 2010, 01:00:30 PM »
I expected that question!  :lol  No, of course not all of them. Let me state that I have no problem with Mark's mistakes as long as the over all performance is good, but it is just a small hint. I do not remember any mistake in those old songs in the tours before 2001, and since then something happened with Mark's perfection obviously.

I do not prefer highly worked-on releases like "On The Night", too polished in my opinion. So I am very happy with Mark releasing his stuff in this way. It is just remarkable in my opinion, that's all.

LE

Not really remarkable, the tecnology wasn't available to release every show back in the day, we used to have plenty of live radio broadcasts etc and MK never cared about any mistakes in them.

Terrible mistake on Shangri La from NYC in 2005 (I was there, and I winced!), but that song was still released as a bonus!
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineFenderBender

• Camerado
« Reply #363 on: September 06, 2010, 02:32:41 PM »
I was thinking that everybody now is able to see how many "greenies" and little mistakes Mark produces during these shows. I did not find a single version of Sultans without mistakes for example. His perfection in former times is gone it seems. The band is really playing great and professional and has huge stake in the high quality of the Get Lucky Tour 2010.

LE

Perhaps the 96ers (are they still called that?) need to have a quiet word with MK and tell him that unless he gets his guitar playing act in gear, then maybe its time they got a new lead guitarist  ;D

No, of course that's not going to happen and nor should it.

Maybe the Simfy live recordings are a little too raw and this amplifies the little mistakes which you don't hear in the concert hall or on audience bootlegs. But I love them!

For every "greenie" there are a number of subtle touches from his master's fingers that would go unnoticed if not for the soundboard feeds. Roll on the next tour and more Simfy Live, please!!
This baker's boy from the West Country

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #364 on: September 06, 2010, 03:38:58 PM »
The fact that so many live shows have been released (EDITED) could be a signal indeed for lesser live output in the next few years... I don't want to be negative, but I had that feeling earlier... Maybe Mark has fulfilled a contract and reached the number of records so that he is approaching things slower
the next years... However, it is great to have access to nearly 50 live shows, who would have thought this when the tour was announced...

LE

hum...

I don't see any link between the two : releasing his live show is a subject since 2005 witht he short lived Crowfly experience. Regarding the recording contract do you mean that GL was the last album owed to Mercury?

I don't know about the current deal and sales figure but Mark not signing a new deal with a major could help him to get more freedom and avoid the nasty contractual things such as the Simfy recording unavailable to US fans.

The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #365 on: September 06, 2010, 09:29:09 PM »
who knows, maybe it is a good sing that the earlier UK shows have now also been released. maybe they are still working on the US shows?
rgrds
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #366 on: September 13, 2010, 11:27:52 AM »
Just looked at the Simfy site and BRIGHTON and BOURNEMOUTH are now available!    :P     Just need Dublin and Belfast now.   :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #367 on: September 13, 2010, 04:18:38 PM »
Just looked at the Simfy site and BRIGHTON and BOURNEMOUTH are now available!    :P     Just need Dublin and Belfast now.   :)

Thanks superval -  I have duly ordered the Bournemouth stick from Simfy!!!!!
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #368 on: September 13, 2010, 11:48:25 PM »
aaah bournemouth,...it ruled!!
remember us singing SFA waving and stuff, and Guy noticing it?
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #369 on: September 14, 2010, 10:04:18 AM »
Pottel, I will never forget SFA -  four forumers singing and swaying together in front of MK!  What fun it was!  :D  8)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #370 on: September 18, 2010, 09:40:56 PM »
Two more shows waiting... This have been a wonderful experience, I hope they do it again in the future, if any  :)
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #371 on: September 20, 2010, 05:54:33 PM »
Just recieved my 'stick' from the Bournemouth show (My closest gig to home of the tour) and although I have a few of the other shows including RAH, Luxemburg, Berlin & Basel, some may say I am biased but this has to be one of the finest recordings I have heard of the tour so far.

Maybe it has made a difference with Mark's guys making the recordings but this concert recording is certainly just as we remembered it particulary with Mark's vocals and guitar dominant above the other instruments. This recording is far more bassy than any of the others giving it a bit of depth! 'Donegans gone' absolutely shines as one of my favourites from that evening and I am certainly not dissapointed with the recording of it!!

We were incidently in the 2nd row at the BIC just in front of Mark and his speaker which was awesome to say the least!!! All I can say this was money well spent and it is nice to have the gig you went to. I feel so sorry for the American guys and really wish they could release some of the American leg!! Wonder if one of those will become an official release?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 06:12:33 PM by knopflerfan »

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #372 on: September 20, 2010, 06:08:55 PM »
Hi knopflerfan!   I am so pleased you are enjoying the Bournemouth concert just as much as I am.   At the moment I am listening to the Manchester one, which I can highly recommend - it has the best TR and Marbletown I have heard so far.  I'm just hoping Dublin will appear soon, because I remember it being a great concert and CMG was played too!   :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #373 on: September 20, 2010, 06:14:53 PM »
Hi knopflerfan!   I am so pleased you are enjoying the Bournemouth concert just as much as I am.   At the moment I am listening to the Manchester one, which I can highly recommend - it has the best TR and Marbletown I have heard so far.  I'm just hoping Dublin will appear soon, because I remember it being a great concert and CMG was played too!   :)

It just brings back such happy memories of an excellent evening with the master, I also remember seeing you in the corner of the seating by the speaker!! At least we know who you are to say 'hello' next time!!

Do you agree these 'MK' recordings are far better than the originals?

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #374 on: September 20, 2010, 06:16:16 PM »
  I'm just hoping Dublin will appear soon, because I remember it being a great concert and CMG was played too!   :)

Cool.....

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.042 seconds with 40 queries.